Yeti GOBOX Collection

Setting up

D

Dick Reece

I still don't quite understand a few things about calling yotes. So I have a few questions.Most everyone says don't call downwind.Let's assume the wind is blowing in a southerly direction,and I am hunting by myself.

Here are my questions:

Do I point the e-call into the wind and call ?

Am I above or below the call,or crosswind of it ?

Am I facing downwind,expecting a yote to come in downwind ?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-26-2003 14:35: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

Set the caller up crosswind from you. Make sure you can see downwind of the caller, because coyotes like to circle downwind of where the distress sound is coming from. It's confusing when you read how guys in states like South Dakota say they call into the wind. The reason they can do that in the wide open west is because they can see a coyote coming to the call from a mile away. Your best bet in West Virginia is to always try to call crosswind and have a good view of your downwind side.
wink.gif

Doug

So,if the wind is out of the South,I point the caller East or West,and call in either of those directions while occupying the opposite direction,and watching towards the north,expecting the coyote to circle and come from that direction,correct ?

That is what I can't get anyone to give me a solid answer on,which direction is the speaker pointed,downwind,upwind,or crosswind ?

I am guessing from your post that I am to call [point the speaker] crosswind,and also use a handcall the same way.Thanks for the help Doug,much obliged.

Yes thats right...point the speaker crosswind. Most likely the coyote will come straight in from the direction the speaker is pointed, but if you see a coyote circling downwind, make sure you zap him before he catches your scent trail. Picking a stand location is the toughest thing to do for a new caller. Be patient and enjoy yourself.
wink.gif

Doug

ok,I think I've got it,and I'm pretty sure I know what to look for in a stand.I've got some real nice teritory up North where I deer hunt,full of grown over clearcuts,that I want to check out.There were coyotes there in November.

Thanks for your help,it cleared up a lot.

SE
Crosswind is the way to go in you're case. Out here, like Doug said, I can call down wind and see em comin long before they wind me. Especially if geography is directing and redirecting the wind in my favor.

Be sure to know where the wind is taking youre sent. Most will circle in that direction.

Keep youre eyes moving and expect something to show up closer than you expected. They have a way of sneaking in to the closest point before exposing themselves.

Be still when they try to pinpoint youre location. Make youre adjustments when they move. Good luck and have fun.

Brad

Seldom have you got this set-up thing figured out or do you need some more input?

If so I'll give you my 2 cents worth. For what it is worth which most likely isn't much.

wink.gif
Hilltop
smile.gif

Hilltop,I am new at Predator hunting,haven't been calling the first time yet,simply because my 2 varmint rifles aren't ready yet,and because the pups are still hatching.The way I see it, killing a wet bitch deprives me of coyotes the following year ? So I hold on for a bit.

Give me all the advice you can,I'm listening.

Doug,great to see you here again,I hope that sweet little girl is doing better!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-10-2003 05:04: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

Ok Seldom here you go, for better or worse, read it use what you want and flush the rest.

I like to enter my calling area from the down wind side or from a crosswind. But I like to set-up with a crosswind set-up. I like to use my small dog for a decoy tied out on a rope. I want her a little up wind and crosswind from where I am sitting. I like to have her out about 30 to 50 yds I also use some kind of scent with her. I use some kind of my trapping lure or coyote, fox or bobcat urine that I carry in a small pill bottle with cotton in it. Unscrew the lid and set bottle on the ground or better yet is to get it up off the ground 2 or 3 ft, in a bush or small tree, so it carries in the air stream better. Also I may have a Ecaller there also playing a distress sound at low volume giving the coyote something to hear at that spot when it gets close also. I try to keep the down wind side as open an approach free as possible from where I am setting, but I do try to give the animals an approach downwind of the dog and scent. I am hoping the coyote comes in and hits the scent of dog and other scent before it gets to mine. If it doesn’t circle to the down wind side I try to keep the dog out in the open so she (decoy) can be seen on the up wind side. Another big plus of using the dog is she will almost always pick up the approach of the coyote before I can see it and let me know something is coming in. She uses her nose and ears just like the coyote does so it gives you a little more edge on the coyote. Her ears will come up and she will be looking right at the place that coyote is coming from letting you get ready. I use a small dog because here the hound boys run coyote almost year around, but let the snow start to fly and they are out like flies on (honey wagon) so she doesn’t scare the coyote as much as a larger dog would. A neg. to using a small dog is you have to be careful in the mating and denning season. As the coyotes will be aggressive and are more likely to want to fight the dog. So if I do use her in that time of year I need to shoot before they get to close.

As for calling sound I use distress and howls of some kind. But will usually start with low distress in case I have something close that I didn’t run off in getting set up. If I am using Ecaller that is my low volume sound source and I then fill in with louder sounds with mouth call after a few minutes. One call sound I think you need to have handy on ever calling stand is the hurt coyote so you can use it to help stop a animal after you shoot if you happen to call in more than one. Other than that I think most any distressed animal sound will call in a coyote just so long as it has a distress cry and plead in it and the howl will work most anytime. I do think sounds will work for one person and not for another person, but it has to do with that caller’s style of calling not that the sound is bad. You need to find your style of calling and the sounds that work for you and the only way to find that is to keep calling and using different kinds until you find them. For where I call I like the higher pitched cottontail rabbit sounds, chicken distress also work good for me. The howler is becoming a much more used call by me. I especially like to lonesome howl, or some call it the female invitation , this is a gathering type call a come over and see me call. It will work most all year long they may not answer you but they will usually come to it if they hear it.

Here is a picture of my dog and set-up I use on my calling stands.
Hopefully this picture will work this time.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p0d60815af08cd753511184cf48bdebb4/fc461c68.jpg.orig.jpg

Hope this has helped you and others and not confused to many!!!!

Hilltop
smile.gif

That is a big help hilltop, I believe you and I discussed this a bit on PM,in the for sale section,Cal or somebody was selling some pups,right ? But you went into a lot more detail this time.I'm going to print this section out and put it in my folder where I put that huge posting from the East section of PM.

I have a Ratt terrier who is pretty tough and aggressive himself.What are the chances of the decoy dog getting hurt in fall and winter ? I think he'd make a great decoy dog, but if he got killed I'd never forgive myself, as he is my pard as well.My wife hates him, but hell,that's life I guess
biggrin.gif
!!

Seldom: like I say here they run the coyotes with hounds all the time so they are a little leery of dogs here so I have never had any trouble. And I do use her in Feb and on until I quit for the year with no trouble. They seem to come in and get to 15 to 25 yds stop and look at her. Thats when I usally stop their looking for good. Where they aren't run with other dogs I can't really say how coyotes will act with the dog. But I feel that they will act somewhat the same in that they will stop and look long enough for you to shot and at the shot they will not stay around to fight no dog no matter how small it is. I like to use her in the hunt for the companionship she gives and I enjoy the time out much more. I too would be sadden if something happened to her but I feel that is a remote possibility.

Hope this helps!!

Hilltop

Seldom I did talk to you in the post in PM but I felt that I was getting into someone else's classified add where he was tring to sell his dog so pulled back.

Hilltop

It's been a tremendous help,hilltop.I'll just add a trapdrag to my list of gear, and take ol' Rufus with me when I hunt close to home. He is a feisty little guy, and has one heck of a nose. 15 pounds of canine fury
biggrin.gif
.Thanks for the help,much obliged.

Yeah,I kinda felt bad about his ad too,but maybe it helped him sell some pups ?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-10-2003 16:32: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

Care for another opinion?

I enter my hunting area from what ever direction the road brings me. When I get to an area I feel holds coyotes, I find a place to hide the truck, then walk in the direction I feel the coyotes will be in. I look for a place that gives me good vision, with a bush or two to break up my outline, and another to set the caller in about 25 yards away. I'm right handed, so I prefer ( if hunting by myself ) to set the caller a little to my left. I point the caller in the direction I expect the coyotes to respond from, get settled in and hit play on the remote.

The only time I worry about wind direction, is when hand calling. I've found when calling constant with an electronic caller, the coyotes will come straight in, from where ever they are with out bothering to circle.

There are very few instances when using the electronic call that I will let the wind dictate a stand selection. I called for years in Indiana, the only difference I've made in my hunting since moving to AZ, was that I cut my stand length in half. Indiana coyotes took 25 minutes to respond, If I don't see one here in fifteen minutes, I pack up and move.

I learned to play the wind in South Texas. I went down there for week long hunting trip. The wind picked up and we had no choice , but to stay in camp or give it a whirl. I set the caller up downwind and set my buddy up even further downwind, 125yds. We did real well, those coyotes would circle downwind of the e-caller and would be right in front of the pard. It was great watching.

Everywhere I have been so far, I always keep an eye downwind, they don't always come in that away as a rule, but they do enough for me to warrant watching that away.

later pup

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back