Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Setting up tent location

I have found that old abandoned roads make awesome flat spots. We usually set up in the edge of new growth over a clear cut area to provide a good glassing point at first light and the trees provide shelter and shade in the afternoon. It took a few times of trial and error to get the pitch right. Make sure to try setting it up in the yard before going to the field. I have found i prefer a nest in the earlier season to help combat the tall grass. Not as big of an issue later on in the season. Always take a few extra minutes to look for the best spot and go over it looking for stones, branches and anything else that can easily be done to make the surface more enjoyable.

When camping in snow, don’t setup on yellow snow. Also don’t melt the yellow snow for water unless you have no other options. Not sure you would get those tips from Lampers or gritty.

My suggestion is to take that tent out this summer and get some firsthand experience with it. Then when you are setting up hunting camp in an unfamiliar location in the dark everything is second nature because you've BTDT. After a while you can look at an opening and know how much area you need for your tent footprint. Also dialing in what your personal water needs are will allow you to camp further from water holes and closer to glassing spots without being tied down to clean drinking water.

I’d ditch the teepee and go buy some horses. Wall tent with a cast iron stove is nice. Then you get to buy a new truck, trailer and tack. You can haul beer in real deep like and eat T-bone steaks to boot.
Love it. Wife might oppose.

Don't set up where the elk/deer are feeding, bedding or traveling between the 2.
Don't set up way down in the bottom of drainages as it can get really cold.
Don't set up way up high where you can exposed to gusting winds because it can be really hard to sleep when you're listening to your tipi flap in the wind
Don't set up in the deadfall for obvious reasons.
Good luck finding a half a$$ level spot and I've found it works to put a thin line of silicone across every or every other air chamber of your pad and this will help grip your sleeping bag so do you slide right off it.
I like finding old, abandoned cat roads that are partially grown up and out of the wind.
I will try the silicone, thank you. Even with Heel and foot leveling ( no ice axe for me 🤣) I still slide off pad and it crinks my neck.

Now you know i guess. Don’t see the problem with watching hunting shows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll admit that the ice axe seemed pretty weird to me too…. I can tell you that guys like Brian Call, Ryan Lampers and even Brady Miller, who went on his show, can probably out hunt 99% of guys on the forum.

Feel free to offer helpful insights to the original question. That’s why I’m posting, looking for good info.
Somebody is a fanboy. holy cow.

Somebody is a fanboy. holy cow.
💯 without a doubt I am. 😂😂😂. Student of the game. I watch YT a lot. I think my wife would prefer me having some other addiction and not have to constantly be listening to bugles on YT hunting shows. Haven’t hit rock bottom and started watching HUSH… yet. 😳🤣

Hush>Gritty.

Although gritty has some stellar bear hunting spots 😅

If i shot some of the bulls the hushing dudes do, I’d break down and cry too. You see the one 15 yo daughter got? Shyyyyyttt I’d of died of a heart attack or a brain aneurism before I even got to hold the thing. My favorite videos on YouTube though, are the ones of the kids getting firsts… good luck with the teepee, and the hunt! Oh and if you decide on horses and a wall tent I’ll bring the beer and steaks 🤪

Hush>Gritty.

Although gritty has some stellar bear hunting spots 😅

If i shot some of the bulls the hushing dudes do, I’d break down and cry too. You see the one 15 yo daughter got? Shyyyyyttt I’d of died of a heart attack or a brain aneurism before I even got to hold the thing. My favorite videos on YouTube though, are the ones of the kids getting firsts… good luck with the teepee, and the hunt! Oh and if you decide on horses and a wall tent I’ll bring the beer and steaks 🤪
Deal!

I have found that old abandoned roads make awesome flat spots. We usually set up in the edge of new growth over a clear cut area to provide a good glassing point at first light and the trees provide shelter and shade in the afternoon. It took a few times of trial and error to get the pitch right. Make sure to try setting it up in the yard before going to the field. I have found i prefer a nest in the earlier season to help combat the tall grass. Not as big of an issue later on in the season. Always take a few extra minutes to look for the best spot and go over it looking for stones, branches and anything else that can easily be done to make the surface more enjoyable.
I've seen a few "abandoned road" camps and parking spots on Facebook.

These spots never belong to the guy posting and that guy is never in a good mood.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back