Caribou Gear

Serious deer hunters only.

Ithaca 37

After the uproar when I casually mentioned a couple things I noticed one day when tracking a deer I thought maybe some guys might like learning some basic tracking skills. I grew up near these guys and started trying to learn their style of hunting almost 40 years ago, before the first articles were written about Larry. Been working at it ever since. I just finished reading "Benoit Bucks" and got a couple new ideas from it. Great book! Anybody who considers themselves a deer hunter oughta watch the videos and read all the books, anyone could learn a lot from them. Take a look. Well worth the $.

http://benoitsbigbucks.com/order/FORMORDER3.html

Notice some of the pictures from the last three seasons. Think you could track those deer and get the kills on video?

I want the autographed one. I hope they have a chapter on how to grow a sweet beard...........................

I had a great hunt about 25 years ago with a Hmong tribesman who had grown up in a hut in the jungles of Vietnam. Only thing they hunted with were bows and spears. Did a lot of trapping, too. Had one old muzzleloader in the village but blackpowder was real unreliable in a steamy jungle and he preferred his bow and arrows. He was drafted into the So. Vietnam military and ended up flying a jet plane at the end of the war. Pretty amazing guy going from a stone age beginning to flying jets. Came to Boise as a refugee in a re-location program run by my neighbor. The neighbor introduced me to Coung and when we got talking about hunting he said he'd like to go with me sometime. I arranged it real soon and then watched him track a mulie buck over dry ground in October in SW Idaho about three miles and then shoot it. Once he found a track he liked he just took off at a trot and I had all I could do to keep up with him. Kinda made me think of watching an African bushman tracker in action. Amazing hunt. I'm sure some of our Hunt Talk expert deer hunters would think what he did was impossible, so I won't bother with the details.:) After all, they think it's impossible to tell how many points a buck has by tracking it and what Coung did was a lot tougher than that.:D

is it possible he was running from you?
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back