Senor Red Legs? Where are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Henry and I went for a chukar hunt today. In reality, it was basically an armed hike. The day had an auspicious start to it when I got to the parking area and realized my partner had barfed in his kennel on the drive up the narrow winding switchbacks. Undaunted, we cleaned the little fellow up and went about our merry way.

I am going to make the declaration that this is likely one of the worst chukar years I have ever witnessed. I have had visual confirmation of four coveys of chukars this year, with the largest being six birds. Last year at this time I was flushing coveys of 20-50. Such is life I guess. :W:

Here are some photos from the day's death march. Per Garmin, Henry logged 20.18 miles in under four hours. Odds are pretty good he could qualify for Boston. :D

This area isn't as scenic as where I normally hunt, but it's a little closer and was recommended to me as having better bird numbers. Maybe my friends really don't like me. :confused:

Henry pointed one covey today. I'm not really sure if it was his fault that they busted. He wasn't holding real steady though.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 436
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 441
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 451
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 436
Very nice! That's some pretty cool looking country. Sorry to hear about the chukar numbers. Hope you can get more birds in front of your pup. He's a great looking dog.

Just a terrible year in the NW. I can't put my finger on what led to such a poor hatch over such a wide area. I operate a fishing charter on Brownlee reservoir. This general area usually has one of the highest densities of chukar per square mile in the U.S. It seemed like there were plenty of birds nesting in the spring. We were seeing and hearing them daily. Kept waiting for the chicks to show and it just didn't happen. We usually see them come down to water and get a good idea how successful the hatch was. When we finally saw them this year they were 3/4 grown and small broods.
I hope you can find some birds for Henry during his 1st season. I have quail if you'd like to bring him down here.

I also am seeing very poor numbers of Chukars and Huns in an area I have hunted for years. I guess we have to take the good with the poor, been some really good bird hunting the past few years.

That is cool you can see his miles. Do you have what yours were?? I always wondered what an average dog/hunter gap there is in the mileage.

That is cool you can see his miles. Do you have what yours were?? I always wondered what an average dog/hunter gap there is in the mileage.

I am guessing 3:1. I'll try to remember to reset everything next time and check.

I went out yesterday with my GWP, a couple of friends and their dogs. It was a great to get out. A seven hour hunt only turned up coveys of eight, twelve, three and two. On the way back my dog finally pointed the covey of three and my poor shooting could not reward him with a bird. I hate when I cannot reward him with a bird. With my GWP being a young dog, I feel I have to do my part. It has been a rough season.

JLS I will have to agree with you on the number of birds. Also a down year on the Huns and pheasant as well. Good luck finding them dirty birds.

Another "Henry's Journal" entry:

Dad:

We found some good numbers of pheasants today. Henry pointed very well. He pointed three roosters, and I shot all three. Henry tracked one cripple for a ways and caught him in the CRP. What a fun day, and after a lot of armed hikes this year it was nice to bring home a limit of roosters.

Henry:

I was "en fuego" today and the dumbass that feeds me forgot to bring a camera.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back