Sell me a warm coat

Filson Double Mackinaw busts your budget but it's a one time buy. Wear mine in wet frigid or with a light poncho for downpours.

I bought a Core4Element Elevation Jacket. Packs super small, super light and incredibly warm.

I've not thrown $$$ at various types of warm backpacking coats though my experience with this coat does all for my interest.
I was tracking some elk way beyond base camp once. Opted to rough it through the night and pulled that coat out, slipped into my thermoliner and I was surprisingly comfortable - considering the situation... Maybe 15-20* at it's coldest.

I love this coat.
I bought one of these for myself and my daughter on camo fire a few years ago absolutely great value and very warm

Navy pea coat for all uses except hunting.

Cabelas wooltimate or windshear fleece for super cold hunts. Both should keep you under $300.

Navy pea coat for all uses except hunting.

Cabelas wooltimate or windshear fleece for super cold hunts. Both should keep you under $300.
So I actually have the early edition wooltimate set already. I rock the pants a lot, but the top was a pullover and my wife refuses to be seen in public with a fuzzy, splotchy colored bear.

"designed for those who run heli and cat ski operations"

I spit my coffee out when I read that.
I think they meant to say for those people who think they might someday try a meeting someone who runs a heli or ski cat operation. I will say it looks like it has plenty of places to stash a pipe and a bag of green, both prerequisites for their original clientele.

Filson Double Mackinaw busts your budget but it's a one time buy. Wear mine in wet frigid or with a light poncho for downpours.
If only. I've been looking for a used one and it seems the hipster demand is inflating even that market.

Back