Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Self Leveling Concrete

Ovis

Anybody have experience with self leveling concrete? Looking at resurfacing an interior subfloor. Phishing for experiences and tips...

Don't let it get out but I was a cement mason for a few years when I was young. All the self leveling is fluid dynamic. Meaning liquid seeks it's own level. It's just laid a little wetter and allowed to flow. You'll still have to tamp, float and finnish if you expect any kind of smoothness to it. If you were any where close I'd come help you.

Ovis, We had a floor laid in a previous home and they had to use something they called "Milk". It was a thick mixture they mixed up and just poured onto the floor and it set up overnight, then they laid the flooring over it. It was about the consistency of one of Moosies Chocalote Milk shakes, only his levels into his azz! LOL John

I have used it before in bathrooms and kitchens leveling for tile. Works ok if not real bad out of level and depends on how big of an area. For some I have also used screed boards and mortor mix. How big and what are you trying to level?? Might be able to give some other advise.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Kitchen and foyer floor sport 20" tiles, a few are loose and there are a couple that are hollow. Overall, pretty poor tile job. Just turned onto a product made by Ardex. Right now I am looking at completely removing the imperfect tiles and pouring the self leveling cement over the entire floor. I'll finish it off with an acid stain and sealer.

i worked construction for a summer putting in gyp-crete flooring. Application was the in-floor heating coils were installed and we'd come in and pump the gyp-crete slurry in and level with a "rake". "Rake" is similar to very wide push broom with no bristles, with eye screws in the bottom to adjust depth. When hardened we'd come in and remove any rough spots with scrapers and/or sanding and then tile or flooring of choice would be installed over the top.

If you can get your hands on the gyp-crete mix and are looking to do a small area, I'd think it'd be fairly easy to wheelbarrow in.

well usually self leveling concrete is used for small areas that are going to covered with something--it has a tendency to break up over time as there's no real strength to it---it would be better to use some concrete mix with small gravel and use some chicken wire at least or welded wire mesh or some of that wire fencing to give it some strength- pour it 1.5" thick at least, although you may get by with 1" thick--you'd have to see how the wire reinforcing is laying and if you could get it covered to get a real feel for final thickness--all I know is I wouldn't use self leveling concrete as a finish substrate nor would I use mortar as it's a little to soft (easily scratched, gouged, etc)......good luck..........chris

Ovis, unless they have just come out with something new, no such thing as self leveling concrete. unless as has been mentioned, you just make it real soupy. but you will still have to move it around somehow. wish I could see a picture of what you are doing. maybe after all these years I could maybe offer some advice.

Hey guys, check out ardex.com Still required to work a squeegee around...isn't entirely self-leveling. Probably misspoke in that this is more of a cement than concrete. Here is a pic of another brand, same concept...

IMG_0581.jpg

ok this sounds promising, but with no real world experience I can't tell you if it's good or bad, all I know is in the past all the stuff I've used has cracked---if you try it keep us appraised----chris

Self leveling concrete is designed for leveling up an area, then covering with finish flooring such as; ceramic tile, vinyl roll goods, carpet, etc. It will crack, so should not be considered as a final finished surface.

If there are cracks in the slab below, they can and will likely telegraph through and crack the self leveling material as well. If it's covered up with flooring, you'll never see those cracks and will have a level floor. A good product, used correctly.

Back