Caribou Gear

Seeth's unexpected FULL fall of "good" hunts

So interesting and unexpected little tidbit about this spot. We just discovered that there is a ranch here that has 20 guest houses and charges 2600 a week to stay there. All inclusive type deal. Just ran into horseback riders from Cali and they aren't too happy about seeing us. I guess we are evil for hunting. The silencer on my rifle also freaked them out.

After only seeing 4 deer this morning, we headed back to camp to watch the packers win! They still have a chance!

Back up to first morning glassing spot. See what we can turn up during evening movement. I've discovered I'm no good and turning up bedded coues deer. And impossible task it seems

So tonight we were back to glassing spot one from the first morning. Honestly we didn't really have a good idea for what to do next in order to find bucks. My hunch was that the bucks were there in that valley and we just weren't seeing them or they were moving in the dark. Just seemed odd for so many does for just that one spiker to be around.

Evening goes by and never saw a deer. We were discussing what to do the next day and that involved a move to a different valley. I take down my tripod and bino and begin to pack up. As I'm doing so, my wife goes "hey there is finally a deer" and I start to gaze in the direction her binoculars are pointed. I see nothing. She goes "well right now I can't see it but there was a deer there, I'm positive". A minute later and out from behind a mesquite I see a doe and then a fawn. At least we saw something finally.

I decide to glass around one last time and nothing. Put my bino down and just like that, I catch a glimpse of something that shouldn't be there below us. Bino up and quickly confirm its a deer. "Hey there is a deer right below us....it's a buck...no doubt, grab your gun!"

For 5 mintues my wife struggles. She can't find him, can find him but she isn't steady. On and on. Thankfully this buck wanted to die because he never moved. He literally just stared at us, perfectly broadside, perfectly in a good grass opening.

Finally I hear "ok I'm on him and good, I'm going to shoot, you ready?"

"Yup, I'm on him let him have it"

That sweat sound you can hear when a bullet whacks an animal will never get old. Especially when you have a suppressed firearm. He disappears behind a mesquite and doesn't come out. I'm positive he had to of just toppled over right there but to be sure, I keep the bino locked onto that spot and tell my wife I'm going to book it down there and once I'm in the right spot, flash your headlight 3 times to confirm I'm correct.

I get down there as quick as I can and look back and see the headlight but it's not flashing. I move a little bit and it starts to flash. I look and immediately find blood and my golden is on it. 10 seconds later she is standing over the deer, went maybe 30 yards. I yell out that she got him. I hear the joy from her 300 yards away.

What a Christmas present this surely is!!!!

Got things packed up this morning and before we took off decided to see if there was any waterfowl hanging out at the Buenos Aires NWR. Nada. Zero water, bone dry everywhere. Guess there won't be any waterfowl wintering there this winter. Hitched the trailer up and onward to New Mexico we go. Fly away duckies, fly away. Here is your warning, we coming!

Not the best morning. 1 min into shooting light a pair barrels right in and not seeing long sprigs we thought we were good. Drop em both. Happy until we picked em up....hen pinnies. Talk about being on super thin ice the rest of the morning! Missed another teal and two widgeon but otherwise was just not on the x.

Still super happy with 6 ducks hunting with very little knowledge of the place

20221227_104923.jpg

Not the best morning. 1 min into shooting light a pair barrels right in and not seeing long sprigs we thought we were good. Drop em both. Happy until we picked em up....hen pinnies. Talk about being on super thin ice the rest of the morning! Missed another teal and two widgeon but otherwise was just not on the x.

Still super happy with 6 ducks hunting with very little knowledge of the place

View attachment 257959
Tough break on the 2 hens, nice looking widgeon.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back