Seeth and his better half's 2023 outdoor adventures

I do, something anchored to the side of that is a solid idea
Or the bottom. I like the idea of potentially being able to use it while it’s still in the holster, pointed forward. Probably still end up eating it yourself but the quick-access thought is there.

Turkey season starts Wednesday, hunting season for 2023 is almost here!

Will hunt Wednesday and Thursday morning along with Wednesday late afternoon with the wife. She leaves for Kansas turkey hunting Friday at 6:05am. Mentoring there for Shoot like a Girl.

Things getting exciting finally after a 3 month slumber!

It's been cold and they haven't been gobbling much so Wed thru Friday morning I didn't hunt much past the first 30 mins before work. This morning I didn't get up because I stayed up way too late watching the Wild kick some butt. Got on the tractor to go move a few downed trees off the fields around 730am and decided to take the shotgun along. After the first tree I found a group of turkeys feeding in one of the other small corn fields. They are never scared of the tractor it seems so I whipped it around and parked and made my approach. I got within about 100 yards of them before I sat down and decided to call and see what happens. Immediate gobble and he starts to display. There is two nice Tom's, a Jake and 5 hens. A few mintues go by and they get within about 60 but start heading west (I needed them to keep coming south). Then I hear a gobble southwest of me and look behind me into the marsh. Here comes a Tom, full speed ahead. He gets within about 100 yards but sees the group and heads to them out in the cornfield. He starts dancing around hens looking to mate and the big Tom gets pissed. I make some cherps (been quiet so far thru his coming) and he makes a beeline to the end of my barrel, 10 yards away. One of the easiest Turkeys I've gotten, didn't even have to get up at 4am!

Shot him right under my wife's stand so of course my photo to her had to include it :) she is in Kansas drinking wine and getting paid to turkey hunt at a nice fancy lodge...so jealous!

20230422_093400.jpg

Last edited:
Got some bad news today. The outfitter for our trip to Argentina called to inform me that due to really bad drought conditions, they are closing down their waterfowl lodge this season. Apparently most of their leases have no water!

They offered us a full refund or we could move to another lodge they run where the drought isn't as bad and they have plenty of water to hunt there. We opted the move.

So its about a month away from our trip to Argentina and I'm getting a bit nervous! We booked our hotel in Buenos Aires for the final three nights of our trip and got a first real flavor of what its going to be like traveling in a country with spanish as the main language. It has been almost 20 years since I last traveled internationally where I was in a country that had a different language as the main one other than english. Also a little nervous about the money exchange we are doing once there. Argentina values the US dollar really well and the outfitter told me that the staff would greatly prefer actually receiving USD as a tip which makes things really easy for us there. However, outside of that we will need the Argentine Peso. Using a CC or exchanging at a "legal entity" will result in about $1USD equating to 230 peso or so. However, there are people that trade in the "black market" at what is called there are the Blue Dollar Exchange which results in a rate of about $1USD equating to 470 peso or so. It's about double. We are arranging to meet with a guy that the outfitter recommended.

Anyone have any recommendations for things to do in Buenos Aires? We are going to attend a Tango show as some friends highly recommended we do that. We haven't got much else set up yet.

So I've been really slacking lately on HT. I've been traveling a lot for work over the last month and I've been so far behind and indulged in catching up that browsing and posting here has been far and few between. Thought I would at least update this post with what we have done.

A few weeks ago we went to northern Minnesota fishing like we do every year and it wasn't very good fishing. We had to work so hard and spend so much time searching for the few fish we caught that it almost felt like true work which is not the norm for up there. Usually you don't even have to try to catch fish and that always makes for a good time. It was still great though as there were 9 of us that went and we rented this old supper club that was converted to be a vrbo type rental. Was a really cool place and we hung out at our own personal bar every night which was cool.

For the Alaska Raspberry elk trip, I was able to talk a good buddy and my wifes step dad into coming along to help! 4 people now makes it seem managable that we can effectively fend off grizzlies and haul the tank of an elk out hopefully back to the beach! We have booked our commercial flight into Kodiak and I have arranged for a boat transport to the island from there. I was originally leaning heavy going with Birch at Raspberry Island Lodge for transport and even some accommodations but with 4 of us going that no longer really made sense as he charges the same cost for each person no matter what. The cost of just getting a boat transport for us with the ability to haul unlimited weight was about a tenth of Birch's cost so it was a no brainer. The captain does fishing Charters and with the fishing season being over he accommodates a couple hunters each fall hauling them around on his big 45 foot boat. It's a 50 mile trip from Kodiak to where we are being dropped off so the length of time traveling won't be too bad.

Finally, we are focusing hard on a gear list for this hunt as there are a few unique things we need to look into and I'm hoping for a little guidance on them. First, I would like a bear spray mount for my pack shoulder strap so it's up front and ready. Also, rather than pack 3 to 4 small personal tents, we are going to buy a single packable tent for all of us. Are the divide series tents really worth 3k? They look great and the weight is very manageable. Is there anything else cheaper with the same weight? I can't find one.
Hey Seeth, I'm glad you were able to find a boat to transport you. If you wouldn't mind PMing me who you are using we would appreciate it we are still trying to figure that part out. We also thought about Birch and raspberry lodge but as you said his price for 6-7 of us was a little hard. If you have not figured out the bear spray holder yet we are also currently looking for the same kind of thing and we'll let you know what we come up with. I hope we run into you all up there and you are successful.

Hey Seeth, I'm glad you were able to find a boat to transport you. If you wouldn't mind PMing me who you are using we would appreciate it we are still trying to figure that part out. We also thought about Birch and raspberry lodge but as you said his price for 6-7 of us was a little hard. If you have not figured out the bear spray holder yet we are also currently looking for the same kind of thing and we'll let you know what we come up with. I hope we run into you all up there and you are successful.
I can't PM you until you participate in the forum a little bit more. It works both ways, if you can't PM me, I can't PM you. Do so and then you'll be able to just PM me.

Travel into ATL was a breeze and looks like our flight down there is slightly delayed by like 30 minutes, no biggie. We will see about getting sleep tonight, my wife seems to think it will be impossible, I'm optimistic I get at least 6 hours. Need to be well rested for the hunt tomorrow afternoon!

Well due to @Big Fin being afraid of those lovely people in Argentina, website was blocked and I was unable to provide everyone with live updates of what was a GRAND adventure and experience.

We are back in ATL right now about to deboard the plane.

I took pages of notes for the entire 10 days we were on this trip and there are 100s of photos. I haven't fully decided how I'm going to share this experience yet but don't worry, it will be coming. Just might take a little while to pull it all together. I want to do it right and give everyone a true sense of how the trip went and if I can pull it together correctly, you will all be looking to make this trip sometime in your life!

Last edited:
This last weekend camping with some family was great as usual although the fishing was horrible. The lake we camp on has been getting some really big crappies in it and word got out last winter and got absolutely hammered. As a result, there aren't many left in the lake. We fished pretty hard for three days and only were able to catch 6 of them along with two random really nice perch. We never catch big perch here so it was odd. For size reference, those are 10 1/2 and 10 inch perch. The crappies were 11 1/2 to 13. We caught maybe 20 total that we didn't keep (gills, crappies, perch) so it was pretty poor fishing. Had fun though as its not always about catching fish but spending time with those that matter in your life.

Everything always tastes better cooked over the fire
20230701_083059.jpg

Gathering around getting ready to cook
20230701_184850.jpg

Trolling before dark and not catching much
20230701_205025.jpg

My wife thought this was funny...my dog was not impressed
20230702_091928.jpg

Teaching a new captian
20230702_175650.jpg

Dogs always know how to relax on vacation
20230704_120252.jpg