Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Seeley lake area

2point

I have always hunted whitetails around St Regis MT but recently bought a cabin in Seeley. I haven't hunt around there since the 70s I archery hunted on Boyd mountain. Not asking for any areas or honey holes just general questions. Is there a lot of pressure on the weekends? My favorite is hiking in on gated roads and watching clear cuts. Is the quality of bucks the same as say ten years ago. I believe there is less big bucks in St Regis now then ten years ago. A lot of basic four points but less really nice bucks. Seems Seeley area is less steep but thicker in general. Can't wait to start hiking around and scouting, love mountain whitetail hunting.

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of time to explore a really awesome area.

Word to the wise, I would refrain from listing out all of the landmarks around your hunting spots on the internet for everyone to see, unless you like to meet a lot of new friends out in the field. You are also a lot less likely to get anyone to share any info with you, if they think you are just going to throw it online.;)

I hunted Boyd mountain 40 years ago isn't really giving anybody a hot spot. It is a draw for rifle hunting anyway. St Regis is basically superior to look out pass which is 1000 square miles same with Seeley which is from Clearwater junction to Condon which is about 1000 square miles. I won't ever post my honey holes on the net.

I hunted Boyd mountain 40 years ago isn't really giving anybody a hot spot. It is a draw for rifle hunting anyway. St Regis is basically superior to look out pass which is 1000 square miles same with Seeley which is from Clearwater junction to Condon which is about 1000 square miles. I won't ever post my honey holes on the net.

No problem here, just saw it was your first post, wasn't sure where you were coming from. I have had the pleasure of hunting the Seeley area, but not enough to give you a good idea of the deer quality, you are a lucky guy to have a cabin there.

Its not that complicated. Per all trail heads/public access sites, hike in deeper than the average Joe and you will do fine.

I've hunted that area for bears a couple times, seems like there are a lot of whitetails down in the valleys and muleys up on the mountains. I found a decent 4 pt muley shed up there in 2014.

I don't know about buck quality, but I've wanted to hunt whitetails in NW MT for a while now just due to the numbers I've seen.

The Seeley-Swan has some big advantages over St. Regis for whitetail IMO. The Swan and Seeley are big, flat valleys with lots of mix-match of timber and second growth. St. Regis country is steep, and valleys are relatively narrow. Seeley-Swan has Plenty of two-legged and four-legged competition, but IME the two-leggeds drop off quickly if you are willing to drag a deer a half mile or more. I think the forests in the Seeley Swan are generally getting older, with less forage and thus, fewer deer. I think overall deer numbers are improving over the past several, lighter winters, and number of mature bucks grow with that. Bucks are under more pressure, so I suppose a smaller share reach true maturity. But I think the big bucks are still out there. Last year I saw one buck in particular that was a real bruiser in the Blackfoot drainage.

Thanks for all the replies and info. The other day a friend said do you really want to learn a new area to hunt. I said most of my favorite areas in St Regis are clear cuts back in on gated roads but I am losing those areas as they are growing in. You use to see 300 yards and now it's 20 yards. It sounds like that might be the same in Seeley according to Ben. It may just be the practices of the forest service but there seems to be less logged areas. Thanks again for the info.

2point,

I'll offer up some advice on the Seeley/Swan/Blackfoot, mainly because even if I do, most guys are not going to put the effort in that it takes to truly learn how to hunt whitetails in the timber.

My family has hunted that area since the late 40'-early 50's. We had a family cabin on Sperry Grade for a long time, right on the Blackfoot.

First off, if you're used to hunting whitetails in the timber, you're a leg up on 80% of the people. As I'm sure you know, you can pretty much take everything on the "hardcore" whitetail shows that the hosts "know about whitetail" and throw that chit right out the window. The deer in that country, at least the stuff I hunt never see a corn field, soy bean field, or even a hay/alfalfa field.

I'll also say that in the broad swath of that area that I consider "my" country, there is nobody alive that has spent more time in there than I have....just a simple fact. My family and I hunted, fished, trapped, hiked, etc. to the point that there isn't a draw, ridge, road, spring, creek,or trail that I don't know about. Literally thousands of hours of time spent. I've also kept detailed journals and have every single animal we've ever killed in there since 1978 plotted on a large map. I don't have the map in front of me, but I believe the last time I counted everything up, its 38 elk, 114 whitetails, 15-16 mule deer, a black bear, and a mountain lion.

Growing up, I didn't hunt anywhere else hardly at all, maybe a trip or 2 a year for pronghorn or mule deer...but the vast majority of time was spent in the Seeley area.

Don't fall for the "you have to go further back than the average joe"...that's just not true. In fact, a friend of the family, who also hunted the same country, killed many 140+ class whitetails from the truck. The guy was a great hunter, but in his older age, had terrible tremors, that were so bad, I don't know how he killed anything. But, he, like our family, really understood what makes those bucks tick, learned through years of experience.

The bucks in there are in my opinion, not possible to pattern. The bucks that develop any kind of a "pattern" are usually dead by the time they are 2 years old. I think the way the older bucks, or at least the bucks that live longer, do so BECAUSE they aren't able to be patterned. I have talked extensively with some very good whitetail hunters from Missoula, Seeley, etc. that all agree with this. Most all of us that have killed older bucks, kill them the first time we ever lay eyes on them. The WT in the mountains are just more mobile, always on the move, and this ridge is just as good as the next one.

I also think during the late pre-rut through early rut is the best time to hunt them. I think the WT, and in particular bucks, are spread out over a lot of country. The weather definitely concentrates does, and if you get good snow high (above 5500 feet) the does move to more winter range type areas. But, I have seen whitetail while hunting elk there, in some incredibly deep snow and in some places that really leave me shaking my head. When you get that snow in that pre-rut/early rut time-frame and the does are bunched up...that's magic. There are also those days, where it just seems like somebody just throws a switch and every other deer you look at is some kind of buck. When that happens, stay out all day. I've shot most of my deer between 10 AM and 2PM...but I stay out all day.

I primarily still hunt, and its really hard to move to slow...and really easy to move too fast. I have some areas where I will sit and wait for bucks cruising ridges, draws, and saddles. I have other areas that I hunt heavy timber, similar to elk. There are definitely areas that seem to hold deer more than others. You'll learn those spots as well as when and how to hunt them, by spending only one thing, and that's an asspile of time. There are no short-cuts to success, its just a function of paying attention, learning and having the confidence to hunt areas that many other guys hunt once and never go back.

I can tell you that very few people have hunting big bucks in that country down to any kind of "science"...its just not easy. But, the first time you kill an old WT buck, with those black antlers rubbed on pine trees, its hard to hunt anything else.

Mountain whitetails are a beast all their own...and hunting them successfully, year in and year out, is not something many do...and even fewer do well.

I don't regret a single minute of the thousands of hours I've spent hunting them wishing I had hunted mule deer more, elk more, etc. I always feel an incredible sense of accomplishment when I get the drop on a mature buck from that area. They live in tough country, are hunted pretty hard, and yet survive to old age.

Good luck, I don't think you'll regret hunting there. Ben Long made a good point though, I don't think we'll ever seen the population spike like we did during the 1990-2000 time frame. The FWP tried as hard as they could to destroy that resource, just like most everything else they "manage". Luckily, whitetails are resilient enough they survived the slaughter and are making somewhat of a comeback.

We usually have snow. As to tracking them, I have tried it and its pretty tough. The deer move a lot and sorting tracks can be a pain.

I did shoot this buck, at 30 yards, that I bumped out of his bed while tracking a raghorn bull elk:

buzzwt1.JPG

BuzzH
Thanks for the post you gave a lot of great info. I moved to Seeley in 2013. It is a tough area to learn and there are a lot of gated roads to explore. I have been checking some of these areas on snowmobile during the winter with locating some good hunting areas that need checking during the summer. One area we stopped for lunch during a ride my buddy checked the snow depth with his avalanche probe, it was 9 feet deep in the meadow we were in. This area has been on my radar as it is about 2 to 3 miles from the nearest road. The Jocko burn opened a lot of area but I think it left some good pockets that are in walk in areas that could be good. East of hwy 83 is very thick and many of the clear cuts are growing over. This area is also a good possibility. One thing is the Grizzly population is healthy here. One of the locals spoke of 3 different Grizzly's in the Morrell creek to Swamp creek, Blind Canyon area that were there most of the year. I have found some huge piles of fresh deposits on the roads in that area. Plus I witnessed a Grizzly put the run on a good sized Black Bear in one of the avalanche shutes near Pyramid pass in 2013.
2point get a hold of me when your up here and I'll be happy to share information. I live here full time.

Last edited:
Dan I will send you a message and let's get together and have a cold one. I have two labs and love to hunt mountain grouse with them. Most guys shoot grouse as a side part of other hunting I love to walk and have my dog flush them. I have been concerned about Grizzlies in creek bottoms hunting grouse.

In many ways, the Seeley-Swan is North-woods whitetail hunting at its best. Kinda like the old timers' talk about the Adirondacks or UP, but with grizzlies and lions. I agree with Buzz in that much of the "TV land" whitetail gospel doesn't really apply here, as there is no agriculture. I do see more tree stands in the woods but most folks hunt on their feet or on their butts in the truck. The last four bucks I've taken, (1) by tracking in fresh snow (2) by a doe call (3) rattling (4) creeping down a logging road. Methinks it's mostly about spending time in the woods with a rifle in your hands.

Sounds good 2point.

Ben I agree with your take on this area. Your last sentence sums it up very well.

Last fall I was at the rifle range checking my rifle. I was set up on the bench and was starting to squeeze the trigger and just before the shot broke a 3 point Whitetail strolled through my sight picture in front of the target. I let up and he continued to feed across the range totally ignoring me. After he was clear I touched off a round and he never even flinched. That was a week before rifle season opened, I don't think he survived the season.

Methinks it's mostly about spending time in the woods with a rifle in your hands.

Me thinks you're right.

I also think that many folks tend to get too hung up on hunting clear cuts. My experiences last year were that I found way more deer away from them. Coincidentally, I never ran into any boot prints away from them either.

I'll second the cautions on the Grizzlies. Had a friend shoot a cow elk during Archery season. He had field dressed it and went to the truck for his pack and when he returned, an hour later..No elk!! Could see where it was drug off, made the smart call and walked away. Reported it to FWP and the warden told him of 5 working the area and he shouldn't be hunting alone.
Hunt smart and enjoy !! It's a beautiful area !!

Last year I spoke to Jack Rich about if they would pack out an Elk if a guy was hunting on his own. He said no because in the past the time it takes to get notified and get to the Elk the likely result would be an argument with a Grizzly. They get on a kill pretty quick in this area so a guy has to keep that in mind. I'm sure there are other areas in and around the Bob Marshall that share the same issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back