MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Seeking Input

Which cartridges (up to 4) covers the options for people buying their primary hunting rifle?

• .338 Win

• .300 Win Mag

• .308 Win

• .30-06 Springfield

• 7mm Rem Mag

• 7mm-.08

• .270 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• .243 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Only Elk: 300 WM

Mostly Elk, Some Deer: 30-06

Mostly Deer, Some Elk: 30-06

Only Deer & Lopes: 7mm-08

Really? All western states are 6mm I think... besides a .264 win mag or a 6.5-300 Weatherby has way mor knockdown power than a .270

I don’t live in a Western state... I live in Kentucky. Don’t have to agree with their decision but I am required to follow their laws... but that’s a subject each state needs to decide upon.

Again - for all intents and purposes the 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor will largely perform the same on game as any other medium caliber short action cartridge at reasonable distances. One will get you fined and the other one won’t when used on elk though.

So as far as states where you actually have a chance at drawing an elk tag you’re good with a 6.5 ;)

JK that’s my bad I hadn’t even considered east coast states.

A little known thing is that one has a decent chance at hunting elk provided they enter the drawing for cows too and not just bulls. I believe last year there was something like a 1:17 chance to be drawn (based on the number of entries the previous year) for a cow tag for state residents. I think the problem is that not a lot of people seem to want cow tags.

I’ve only lived here for barely two years though so a lot of the landscape is new to me. I do some reading and have really only fished here so far. The plan is to hunt here this year (assuming work doesn’t have me traveling at the same exact time). My wife is from here and was transferred back here for work so that’s why we are here now.

For the last 7-8 years I’ve used a 6.5x284 on many, many elk/deer/antelope and 1 mountain goat. Not on your poll...but it’s better than the 6.5 man bun 😬

So as far as states where you actually have a chance at drawing an elk tag you’re good with a 6.5 ;)

JK that’s my bad I hadn’t even considered east coast states.
Alas, all too true!!
Hence my wanting to hunt in Colorado.
And move to Wyoming.
Still trying to talk the wife into it.

Alas, all too true!!
Hence my wanting to hunt in Colorado.
And move to Wyoming.
Still trying to talk the wife into it.
Better hurry up and move now. People are moving into some of these western states pretty dang fast from California and other failing states. Like rats bailing from a sinking ship. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and the like are being overrun. Some counties can't keep up with the growth. It's like the great migration when everyone headed toward California for work and food. Only in reverse.

Better hurry up and move now. People are moving into some of these western states pretty dang fast from California and other failing states. Like rats bailing from a sinking ship. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and the like are being overrun. Some counties can't keep up with the growth. It's like the great migration when everyone headed toward California for work and food. Only in reverse.

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado are all beautiful states, with a lot of wildlife, great hunting and fishing opportunities, good employment opportunities, good schools, inexpensive homes---great states to relocate in. Terrible states to relocate into would be places like Arizona and New Mexico----If I was leaving Calif I would stay away from the two states-----right Dirtclod and Bobbydean ?

I’m surprised that .308 is ranked lower than 7mm. Not saying 7mm is a bad round, but with .308 being a NATO round I figured the popularity would be higher.
I'm a pretty fan of the .308 as a general-purpose big game rifle, but I don't know many that are. 30-06 seems to win that contest in most circles I frequent. This has been a very interesting thread to keep track of.

I'm a pretty fan of the .308 as a general-purpose big game rifle, but I don't know many that are. 30-06 seems to win that contest in most circles I frequent. This has been a very interesting thread to keep track of.
I agree. Regarding your earlier post, I’m also surprised .270 is beating 6.5CM by such a wide margin. I think they are both great calibers but judging by the posts in the forums I would have bet on 6.5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back