See you again soon Montana!

dcopas78

My dad and I just got back from spending a week out in Montana doing a little bit of hiking/shed hunting/ scouting/general mischief. It was really nice to get away from work here in Ohio. I am one of those people that loves to drive, so the 25 hour trip out and back was something I enjoyed almost as much as the mountains themselves, once we get past Chicago at least.
I try to take a slightly different route every time we come out. We saw plenty of pheasant, grouse, mule deer, whitetail and elk. Overall, I was very impressed with how well some of the areas I picked to hunt with "google earth" turned out to be. One was loaded with elk sign, both old(rubs/wallows) and new. We didn't find many antlers, just a few mulie sheds. It is about 3 miles back in so I think it will be good. It turns out the forestry boys had been up there doing a burn and had picked up some elk sheds. I was lucky enough to get to talk to one of them with a visit to the local forest ranger station. The story of my life...a day late and a dollar short.
Anyways, the whole week before going, Dad and I tossed around the idea about getting a bear tag and decided against it. As the pictures to follow will show, it was a very poor decision. This bear gave us any kind of shot you could think of at less than 200 yards. The pics aren't great but they are the best I could manage.
Derek

Attachments

• PIC_0140.jpg
    PIC_0140.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 255
  • PIC_0153.jpg
    PIC_0153.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 258
  • PIC_0164.jpg
    PIC_0164.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 260
  • PIC_0172.jpg
    PIC_0172.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PIC_0189.jpg
    PIC_0189.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 268
  • PIC_0194.jpg
    PIC_0194.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 261
  • PIC_0181.jpg
    PIC_0181.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 258
Sounds like a great road trip. Nice looking bear, always next year to go back with a tag :)

Once Montana gets in your blood, you have to go back....I'll be back soon :D

^^^ this...... & soon is getting very close.

Good looking country, usually how it turns out when you don't have a tag in your pocket.
Good luck come this fall.

Sounds like time well spent. Your right about the drive, nice AFTER Chicago.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back