See you again soon Montana!

dcopas78

My dad and I just got back from spending a week out in Montana doing a little bit of hiking/shed hunting/ scouting/general mischief. It was really nice to get away from work here in Ohio. I am one of those people that loves to drive, so the 25 hour trip out and back was something I enjoyed almost as much as the mountains themselves, once we get past Chicago at least.
I try to take a slightly different route every time we come out. We saw plenty of pheasant, grouse, mule deer, whitetail and elk. Overall, I was very impressed with how well some of the areas I picked to hunt with "google earth" turned out to be. One was loaded with elk sign, both old(rubs/wallows) and new. We didn't find many antlers, just a few mulie sheds. It is about 3 miles back in so I think it will be good. It turns out the forestry boys had been up there doing a burn and had picked up some elk sheds. I was lucky enough to get to talk to one of them with a visit to the local forest ranger station. The story of my life...a day late and a dollar short.
Anyways, the whole week before going, Dad and I tossed around the idea about getting a bear tag and decided against it. As the pictures to follow will show, it was a very poor decision. This bear gave us any kind of shot you could think of at less than 200 yards. The pics aren't great but they are the best I could manage.
Derek

Attachments

• PIC_0140.jpg
    PIC_0140.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 255
  • PIC_0153.jpg
    PIC_0153.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 258
  • PIC_0164.jpg
    PIC_0164.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 260
  • PIC_0172.jpg
    PIC_0172.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PIC_0189.jpg
    PIC_0189.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 268
  • PIC_0194.jpg
    PIC_0194.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 261
  • PIC_0181.jpg
    PIC_0181.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 258
Sounds like a great road trip. Nice looking bear, always next year to go back with a tag :)

Once Montana gets in your blood, you have to go back....I'll be back soon :D

^^^ this...... & soon is getting very close.

Good looking country, usually how it turns out when you don't have a tag in your pocket.
Good luck come this fall.

Sounds like time well spent. Your right about the drive, nice AFTER Chicago.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back