Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Secretary of the Interior allows E-bike access on BLM lands

Off the topic of E-bikes, but I spent the opening day of archery season flying a drone near Libby for a site evaluation for my job. Drones are incredible, democratized more every day, and are a rapidly changing tech. To use them for hunting or scouting crosses a lot of lines, and it is great when states get ahead of the game and create rules around them now. I agree they will be a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

View attachment 114014
Yes ... and as a hardcore old aviator, I think operators should be certified and each flight should require a flight plan submitted to the FAA and/or local flight facility. Otherwise I predict wannabe aviators will abuse and misuse the employment of drones and create aerial widespread havoc, dangers, and infringement on privacy.

How is this any different than technology like OnX maps allowing unprecedented access to public land? OnX and Randy's own show have demonstrated the use of technology to use OUR lands, and there are far more people on obscure chunks of land because of it. We're seeing far more hunters further back into once-unknown areas of public land, crowding the spaces for the people that were lucky enough to know about them before. E-bikes are still not allowed in the back country, just as mountain bikes aren't allowed there. They've set limits for under 1bhp, and speed limits, so regulations are already set. Technology might be able to produce better, faster e-bikes, but they still won't be allowed on the trails based on the regulations/limitations set forth.

I agree that there will be unintended consequences, like with everything technology related, but to have so much cognitive dissonance about certain types of other technology that allows for easier access is either willful ignorance, or just plain hypocrisy.

I spoke with a state employee today, and he said they're still in turmoil over these recent approvals as of a meeting yesterday. Forest service still considers e-bikes to be motorized vehicles, BLM still hasn't received a formal directive, and State still considers them to be illegal for non-motorized only trails. His bottom line was that FWP will issue a ticket if they find you using an e-bike on a non-motorized trail.

@the444shooter I'm opposed to this decision not on the power capacity, etc - rather on the simple basis, it's a motorized unit. It is not pure human powered. I'm not really, "assed up" as some might wail over issues though it's a bit of a head scratcher as if I'm watching a Monty Python or Mel Brooks comedy... Motorized allowed so long as we say it's, "non-motorized". :)

I spoke with a state employee today, and he said they're still in turmoil over these recent approvals as of a meeting yesterday. Forest service still considers e-bikes to be motorized vehicles, BLM still hasn't received a formal directive, and State still considers them to be illegal for non-motorized only trails. His bottom line was that FWP will issue a ticket if they find you using an e-bike on a non-motorized trail.

Yeah I'm pretty confused how a vehicle with a motor isn't a motorized vehicle as well.

E-bikes should not be allowed on non-motorized trails period. How is this a thing.

@Sytes and @wllm1313 I am in total agreement with you on those merits. It reminds me of Bill Clinton and Monica L. It depends on the definition of what "motorized" is, apparently. I don't understand why they made the distinction that allowed some e-bikes to still be considered bicycles. That's obviously what opened up the can of worms. If they called them what they are, motorized, then all would be a moot point.

@Sytes and @wllm1313 I am in total agreement with you on those merits. It reminds me of Bill Clinton and Monica L. It depends on the definition of what "motorized" is, apparently. I don't understand why they made the distinction that allowed some e-bikes to still be considered bicycles. That's obviously what opened up the can of worms. If they called them what they are, motorized, then all would be a moot point.

Would have made more sense to designate some trails open to motorized vehicles with motors under say 1/2hp or 380W or something. "Oh but it's electric so it's green" is not a good excuse for increased impact.

This ebike issue, along with a whole slug of others, is indicative of a sobering fact.
"Non-Consumptive" male and female dude user #'s are outpacing the old fashioned outdoorsmen/women recruitment.
Made a trip up Bozeman's Hyalite recently.
Once was mainly a fishing destination. Saw four fishing boats, a few guys in the stream , and seven reservoir shore anglers.
However.....
A whole bunch of SUPs, a few kayakers, a couple pleasure canoeists, many hikers and a few mtn bikers on west shore walking path, many clueless road bikers on the narrow Hyalite Road, countless stand-and-gawk folks at the boat ramp, a small bunch of dudes kinda' playing soccer in the main parking lot, and a bunch of rock hippies in the canyon. And countless drive up, turn around, and drive back downers.
Interestingly, I saw one kid fishing, the others were all adults.
Me thinks these are the good old days, better enjoy 'em while they last.................................

Back