Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Seating Depth Consistency

R

rwc101

I'm aiming for a 2.25 seating depth, measured to the ogive, for my 270 WSM loads. I slowly dial down the fine tune knob until I reach the desired depth for my first round. Next round, seated with the same setting, comes out 2.247. The third comes out 2.258. Is this an acceptable amount of variation between rounds for normal hunting conditions? It's driving me a bit mad.

Can you check length to ogive of an unloaded bullet? I like game kings, but I did notice some inconsistencies when I used them

Can you check length to ogive of an unloaded bullet? I like game kings, but I did notice some inconsistencies when I used them

They vary between 0.605 and 0.595, so I guess that could account for some of the variation.

You should be ok, as long as you are not too close to the lands .010" won't make much of a difference. Game kings have always shot well for me.

You're going to have variations due to differences in tips of the bullets. Really the only way to fix that is to reshape the bullet tips. I'm not sure if a Meplat tool or bullet tipping die works for bullets other than Hollow Points but you could look into that.

some variation is expected, but that seems like a lot to me. I don't shoot Sierra's but usually on Nosler and Hornady I get variance of .05 +/-. Bullets definitely vary, even within the same lot...unless you're shooting some high end stuff I imagine.

When I'm checking seating depth I'm always careful to ensure my primers are seated fully and I rotate the case on my caliper/gauge to until I get the shortest possible reading. Having the case slightly off center or not flush on the caliper can have a pretty big difference.

I am assuming you have the same brand and lot number of brass???? How many times has it been fired? Brass work hardens through the firing and reloading process and if you haven't annealed your brass you could be experiencing inconsistent springback.

As others have mentioned, is your brass trimmed to the same length and all your primers fully seated?

As others have mentioned, is your brass trimmed to the same length and all your primers fully seated?

I'll have to pay more attention when I load some hunting rounds. These are admittedly practice rounds that have been fired a number of times. I trimmed them, but not to exacting standards. I didn't think it would have a huge role in overall length. Primers are all seated pretty well. I always check that pretty closely.

I'd also check that all your cases are trimmed to the same length

I don't see how that matters. If the manufacturer is making the "same" bullet on 2 different presses it would behoove him/them not to mix finished bullets from each machine.

You're going to have variations due to differences in tips of the bullets. Really the only way to fix that is to reshape the bullet tips. I'm not sure if a Meplat tool or bullet tipping die works for bullets other than Hollow Points but you could look into that.

I would think you'd want a seater plug that doesn't touch the bullet until about a third of the way down.

I occasionally get a faint ring around the ogive of 150 grain bullets after seating, so I thought the dies seat from the ogvie. I'm not positive though.

true however if he's seating with a die that contacts the tip and not fully contacting the ogive like the Hornady Dies and Sierra gamekings then the inconsistencies in tip will affect ogive measurements...right?

Ya a die that contacts the tip would be a problem.

Back