Caribou Gear

Season success yet?

Haven’t gotten out yet. To much working and also prepping for my New Mexico elk hunt. Leaving on Monday morning. Can’t wait !!!! Probably won’t get out to deer hunt until the 3 week of October. Should be starting to get good then. Have you been out?

Hey nwihunter!

We are moving to Valpo in three weeks from the western suburbs of Chicago. I have hunted NM a few times in the past ( we lived there 5 years ago) and have a few friends still there ( they are all Game and Fish officers). Which hunt are you headed out for? I am guessing first rifle. I am looking forward to hitting the whitetail woods in Indiana next fall as there isn't enough time to get into bow shape this year.

Good luck out in NM. It was always good to me.

I don't get to hunt at home this year......got a nice offer but schedules just couldn't work. My first hunt is WY, I leave Saturday for +-10 days.

I frequent the hunt-indiana forum too and I have seen a couple of nice deer taken in the last couple of days from the south end of the state.

Although I am from Indy, I don't have any family left and all of my wife's is in Warsaw so that is pretty much my home base when I go home. I previously had a couple of places to hunt near Silver Lake and over toward Ashley but they have both been leased so no joy in that area any more for me :(

Hey nwihunter!

We are moving to Valpo in three weeks from the western suburbs of Chicago. I have hunted NM a few times in the past ( we lived there 5 years ago) and have a few friends still there ( they are all Game and Fish officers). Which hunt are you headed out for? I am guessing first rifle. I am looking forward to hitting the whitetail woods in Indiana next fall as there isn't enough time to get into bow shape this year.

Good luck out in NM. It was always good to me.
Yeah I’ll be out there for 1st rifle In unit 45. This will be my 4th year of elk hunting and my 2nd trip to this same area. Hoping to tag my first elk this season. I’ve lived in the Valpo area my entire life. It’s a really nice town to live in. Hit me up some time after you are settled into the new house and maybe we can get together and do some shooting. I have an archery range in my back yard and also belong to an archery club that I never make time to go and shoot at.

I don't get to hunt at home this year......got a nice offer but schedules just couldn't work. My first hunt is WY, I leave Saturday for +-10 days.

I frequent the hunt-indiana forum too and I have seen a couple of nice deer taken in the last couple of days from the south end of the state.

Although I am from Indy, I don't have any family left and all of my wife's is in Warsaw so that is pretty much my home base when I go home. I previously had a couple of places to hunt near Silver Lake and over toward Ashley but they have both been leased so no joy in that area any more for me :(
Good luck on your WY hunt. Not much public land to hunt in the Warsaw area. I have hiked around the tri county fish and wildlife area area once which is a very nice piece of public hunting land. It is maybe 30 min. from Warsaw. They also have decent gun range as well.

Only took my daughter out youth season and per my earlier post she was successful. I am going to try to get out Saturday morning. This year has been busy for me. I didn't draw any tags out West this year and with my busy schedule I think it was a good thing (Did I really just say that!?). I did draw a state park deer reduction hunt to fill the freezer....hungry teenagers will eat you out of house and home!

Yeah I’ll be out there for 1st rifle In unit 45. This will be my 4th year of elk hunting and my 2nd trip to this same area. Hoping to tag my first elk this season. I’ve lived in the Valpo area my entire life. It’s a really nice town to live in. Hit me up some time after you are settled into the new house and maybe we can get together and do some shooting. I have an archery range in my back yard and also belong to an archery club that I never make time to go and shoot at.
Very nice. 45 is where I shot my bull during the 2015 muzzleloader season. 7.5 miles north of Jacks Creek Trailhead ( we backpacked in). Beautiful country. Best of luck to you and thanks for the invite and once we get settled ( close on the house in three weeks) and all I will most definitely knock the rust off with you.

Haven't had a chance yet...corn is still in around my main area. May try to go and at least check cameras this weekend, its suppose to be around 80 degrees..ugh. Headed to SD for the pheasant opener soon!

Good luck on your WY hunt. Not much public land to hunt in the Warsaw area. I have hiked around the tri county fish and wildlife area area once which is a very nice piece of public hunting land. It is maybe 30 min. from Warsaw. They also have decent gun range as well.
I have used the range a couple of times and it is a good place to confirm zero after the trip. The area up there with the lakes is really nice. If it wasn't for the summer humidity and bugs I MIGHT consider a move home......but I couldn't deal with either of those again :) Every time we go home in the summer our first stop is in Kansas and the difference is crazy.....you open the car door and it feels like you got hit with a wet blanket. I sure do miss Hoosierland once the fall sets in though.

I've only made it out twice...no deer seen let alone killed .

If you ever want a spot to hunt I have a some ground in Cass County that I would give you permission to hunt. It is about an hour from Warsaw ( working in the Warsaw area in the morning as a matter of fact) Just PM me sometime!

If you ever want a spot to hunt I have a some ground in Cass County that I would give you permission to hunt. It is about an hour from Warsaw ( working in the Warsaw area in the morning as a matter of fact) Just PM me sometime!
That is a heck of an offer!! I need an excuse to get down around L-port and Kokomo to see a couple of friends as well......what could be better!! I will keep this in mind for my hunt plotting....I mean planning :) for next year.

I figured I would get this post going again. Got this buck on opening morning of the firearms season in Vermillion county. First time hunting this property. I’ll probably post it the deer section as well but figured I’d post here first since it came out of Indiana

Attachments

• 2C04BDD5-768A-4EF9-BD95-7807F93C2DEB.jpeg
    2C04BDD5-768A-4EF9-BD95-7807F93C2DEB.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 11
  • AD89DF63-F4BA-44E3-A7D2-9F0E16E6828B.jpeg
    AD89DF63-F4BA-44E3-A7D2-9F0E16E6828B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 91D4DEC3-0C01-4E12-B8E8-D08C08B39A01.jpeg
    91D4DEC3-0C01-4E12-B8E8-D08C08B39A01.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
I figured I would get this post going again. Got this buck on opening morning of the firearms season in Vermillion county. First time hunting this property. I’ll probably post it the deer section as well but figured I’d post here first since it came out of Indiana
Very nice and wide!! Congrats!!

Wayne County Buck off family farm that in general isn't that great for deer. But, the stars aligned last week and I got an arrow in my first buck on the farm. First deer I killed from this treestand in 25 years, and only my second deer off the farm. I have other places that I hunt, but very memorable to kill one from the oak tree i spent so much time occupying in high school.

Attachments

• downsized_1108001703.jpg
    downsized_1108001703.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201108_172636182.jpg
    IMG_20201108_172636182.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201108_172701280.jpg
    IMG_20201108_172701280.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Back