Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Seasickness

Calif. Hunter

My 10-year old and I are heading to La Paz on Friday, and while I am not usually affected by seasickness, my son is an unknown quantity and I don't want him to be miserable. Besides, I'd rather have something along for me, too - just in case. There is nothing worse than being seasick for hours or a couple of days. I was a little bugged the last time I went out in a 20-30-foot boat in fairly high seas but was able to deal with it by watching the horizon, fresh air, looking forward or aft, etc.

What works best? Good old dramamine?

I don't know if you have time to get him into the doctor or not. My wife uses these little patches called Scopolomine. I am pretty sure you can only get them by prescription, though. You have to put it behind the ear the night before you go out. (That is really important, because it takes several hours for it to get in the blood stream.) They last for 2-3 days. She absolutely swears by them. She used to get sick all the time when we went fishing. Now, she never has a problem. She says that she still feels a little queasy, but it totally stops the actual sickness part.

I have also heard some people swear by chewing on some ginger. But, if you can get him into the doctor and have the prescription filled before you leave, those patches work great.

When I was in the Navy cruising around the Atlantic in the begining of the 80's, the fix was soda crackers or bread...

Not sure how it works, the theory seemed to be it kept things from sloshing around in your stomach...

Seemed to work pretty well, not 100%

Dramamine at the time was pretty hard to come by and a corpman had to dole it out

First time I've heard of Scopolomine, sounds like some thing better than what we got to use over 25 years ago...

Good luck and let us know what you find out... :)

I didn't need anything in the Navy, even going through a typhoon. (I was either on little boats in little canals or real big boats on the real big pond.) With being on a smaller boat for three days in foreign waters, I would rather have it and not need it, than be puking and not have it. ;)

LOL...

Your right there.... :D

The ship I was on had 7 decks above the water line

Even at this height when at the bottom of a wave, the next wall of water towered above the ship by quite a bit...

When we came across the Atlantic, we hit a storm that had 80-100' swells...

The ride was fun to a point, but it just never seems to stop going up and down, plus the ship I was on had more of a tendency to bob around like a cork instead of streaming into the waves...

Dramamine works real good, just don't give the little one a whole pill (unless you don't want him to fish with you)-made that mistake with my 11 and 10 year olds last summer. They slept the whole time we were on the water! Gave the little little guys half a pill and I had a cheering section!! hump

Wow, thats pretty impressive to hit waves with 80-100 foot swells...in particular when they're considered "rogue" waves and many people with years and years of experience on the ocean never see a wave even close to that big.

Funny too, that this article mentions that most oil platforms are only built to withstand 50 foot waves.

Sounds like a bit of exaggerating going on...or it could be just plain old BS...

70-feet of water

The Norwegian Dawn, a 965-foot ocean liner , was sailing back to New York from the Bahamas on April 16 when it was struck by a storm that pounded the vessel with heavy seas and the rogue 70-foot wave. The wave smashed windows and sent furniture flying.

In a separate event, a buoy off the coast of Alabama recently recorded an average wave height of 16 meters before the gauge broke, Panchang said. Since that figure is just an average of measurement of a sea-state, the biggest wave at that location was probably twice that size--32 meters, or about 100 feet.

"There were oil platforms destroyed," said Panchang, who requires his wave mechanics students to read The Perfect Storm. "The sheer magnitude of these things amazes me."

Panchang also is developing a similar wave model prediction system for the Prince William Sound Oil Recovery Institute in the Alaska port of Valdez, site of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. That wave model should be online by next year. The website for the National Weather Service station for Houston and Galveston links to wave forecasts by Panchang's team for the Gulf of Mexico.

Panchang and his colleague Dongcheng Li will present the Maine modeling results this month at the annual meeting of the American Society of Coastal Engineers.

Rogue waves are real

In the past, some scientists wrote off "rogue waves" as rare or even mythology. However, new satellite data collected by the European Space Agency's ERS satellites has confirmed what too many ship captains have come to know. Ocean waves that rise as tall as ten-story apartment buildings are a leading cause of large ship sinkings.

The giant waves form when strong winds beat against an opposing ocean current, when waves from different storms join forces, or when swells interact in strange ways with a particular seafloor.

Severe weather has sunk more than 200 supertankers and container ships more than 200 yards long in the past two decades, an ESA analysis found.

But some past statistical work in the past showed that rogue waves could only occur every 10,000 years. So many ships and offshore platforms are built to withstand maximum wave heights of only about 50 feet.

"Two large ships sink every week on average, but the cause is never studied to the same detail as an air crash," said Wolfgang Rosenthal, a senior scientist with the GKSS Forschungszentrum research center in Germany. "It simply gets put down to 'bad weather

Looks like enjoy doing research Buzz...

Mid Atlantic, North of the Azores...

January...

Two Tankers broke up trying to go thru the middle of an unusually large storm...

Don't know what else to tell you, it's again, my word against yours (yours is usually made up and embellished by you) and that’s all the info I’m giving, sure wouldn’t want to “Spoon feed” you more, that’s for certain... :p

Of course since you have the inability to believe anything you personally didn't see, it has to be untrue... :rolleyes:

I'm betting the Tunguska Meteor, Second World War, Glaciation of the North American continent, fall of Rome, rising of Mount Everest, and the First Moon Landing couldn't possibly have taken place because you weren't there to witness it in person... :rolleyes:

Again, I digress, this thread is by no means about me, most aren't...

I apologize to you Rick for my fan clubs rude behavior, and are obviously trashing another thread no matter who it affects... :(

After 26 trips to Alaska and a dozen to Mexico I have puked with some and rode others out just fine. The only thing that 100% will prevent seasickness for me is the Tranderm-scop patch. Get an Rx from your doctor and cut one of them in half for your son. I always put it on the day before I go and leave it on the whole trip. Tight lines.

We have taken our children on many flights, cruises, and fishing trips. The night before every event they all get dramamine. Then again the morning of the ride. So far we have had ZERO problems. I wouldn't mind trying the prescription, it sounds easy enough...

The ship I was on had 7 decks above the water line

Even at this height when at the bottom of a wave, the next wall of water towered above the ship by quite a bit...

When we came across the Atlantic, we hit a storm that had 80-100' swells...

I would betcha a dollar that the Captain of The Cheese's ship, along with everybody else in charge all had "collage" degrees. And, I would bet the engineers who designed the ship to sustain The Cheese's imaginary waves all had "collage" degrees.....

I used to commercial fish with a guy that got seasick everytime we were out. He tried everything you've heard of and nothing seemed to work. One trip I noticed that all he was eating was oranges. This went on for a couple trips and I finally asked him "Are those oranges working?" And he said "Nope, but they're the only thing I've found that taste good coming up!" :)

I got the prescription for the patches, but my son's doctor won't prescribe them for him and told us to use dramamine for him. I'll check with my pharmacist friend and see what he says.

I've used dramamine and the patch. I don't like either particularly. On our last cruise my wife and I used the "Patch", but it made me very queezy and messed with my wife's vision. I took the patch off and had a great time, but my wife still needed something. The folks on the ship recommended Bonine and it worked great for her!

Just some food for thought.

Captain Rusty Cheese Ahab,

When you were being tossed around in those imaginary 100 foot seas...you didnt happen to see a white whale did you?

LOL Ken...

Thats why he and 280 went on ignore in the first place...

It's starting to look as if it's time to put another problem child on cyber ignore...

Haven't seen many posts lately worth reading from ol' Buzz...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back