Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sean Gerrity/American Prairie Reserve on Meateater

Be interested to hear you expand on hike experience. They let people hunt and they want more wildlife.

Pretty much the opposite of other well known, large landowners.

Oh I thought this was specific to hunting? If just hiking is your concern you are on the wrong board and there are literally two other national parks where you will have miles and miles of land to hike with not a single hunter.

So you find both unlikely? Curious why you even mentioned it.

I will still have concerns on PLT when it is written into the Montana GOP Platform, but not get too concerned when "hunting" isn't included in the APR Mission Statement.

Out of curiosity, what public parcels are you referring to were accessible to "average Joe" through private land that are no longer accessible?

Craig,

Go back and read what I posted. I said "IF" they decide to make hunting off limits on their deeded lands, they can access to many public parcels either impossible or extremely difficult. Go look at your maps.

The APR is free to do as they wish, I don't trust them. Fairly simple concept, I don't trust politicians because of things like dark money. I don't Trust the funders of the APR for the very same reason, money gets it's way and there will come a time that the money people dictate to the workers their own agenda and what coarse they will need to take to keep the money flowing. So you can be concerned with PLT and I will be concerned with my concerns, no harm no foul.

Nemont

Last edited:
I was hoping you would make it easier for me. APR maps (layers) are at the office and they aren't letting me in there much.:D

Well come over here and you can kill some geese. We have too many and they are in dire need of thinning out. Then we can discuss the APR face to face. I suspect we agree on more than we disagree on but who knows. I will even buy you a beer at the Busted Knuckle. I quit drinking so I am a cheap date.

Nemont

Well come over here and you can kill some geese. We have too many and they are in dire need of thinning out. Then we can discuss the APR face to face. I suspect we agree on more than we disagree on but who knows. I will even buy you a beer at the Busted Knuckle. I quit drinking so I am a cheap date.

Nemont

I am sure we do. Busted Knuckle sounds good, but I am dry in January. Time to clean out the frig tonight.

As fro APR, I hear it all the time. They are ruining the ranching life in NE Montana, the bison will rape their heifers, destroy every fence and probably stomp a few children. Oh yeah, they don't pay taxes and the fences are keeping elk/pronghorn from migrating.

Often it comes from a permittee that has fences in disrepair, mineral on every reservoir in the pasture and a herd that tends to stay longer than permitted. Oh, maybe the gov't can put some more reservoirs on the public. That a lot of AUMs to cover current RI proposals.

I am ready to get back to work.

I believe that is correct. They have a ways to go.

9000 more bison could really change things. I really don't know how I feel about the APR and their mission just yet. I'm sure my position will evolve, just like their policies are sure to. mtmuley

Just an APR issue miller. I don't know near enough about all of the intentions they have. Still learning. But, I do believe the amount of bison is something that needs to be considered along with all the other issues brought up in this thread. Also, I am concerned about the future of hunting in that country. Both on APR, and surrounding lands. How can I not be? mtmuley

Pretty much the opposite of other well known, large landowners.
Gomer, that is an interesting observation, particularly when you consider that the more recent model for large ranches changing hands in Montana has been one of wealthy owners living remotely from the ranch and locking gates previously allowing access to public lands, as well as either hoarding wildlife merely as a real estate enhancing asset or for commercial value through access and outfitter marketing. APR essentially intends to improve land for open space and for wildlife habitat and presently promotes public access extensively for viewing wildlife and to at least a certain extent, for hunting. As a Montana wildlife advocate and hunter who has watched the open space changes, public access limitations, and the many issues surrounding wildlife, I much prefer what APR is doing over what is described by the first land ownership model.

Oh I thought this was specific to hunting? If just hiking is your concern you are on the wrong board and there are literally two other national parks where you will have miles and miles of land to hike with not a single hunter.

No, I am talking about hunting.
Do they not allow you to hunt on some of their land, and to walk across almost all of it for the purposes of reaching public land to go hunting?

Edit: I just realized on my previous post the word ‘your’ was autocorrected to ‘hike’.
Sorry for the confusion.

I meant to say ‘expand on your experience ‘

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back