Seafood in smoker.

mtmuley

My son's buddy brought a bunch of crab back to Montana from Alaska. They want to cook it in my Traeger. I don't want fish in my grill. Any issues with lingering fish taste? mtmuley

I've smoked plenty of salmon and steelhead in mine, no lasting fish taste.

Just be sure to coat the plate in the bottom with foil, so any drippings land on that, then you can pull the foil after the cook. I'm guessing if they brought it back from AK it was cooked up there, at least blanched, so really they'll just be warming it up in there

I've cooked a lot of salmon on the grill and smoker. Never had any residual smell.

Only time I actually battled that issue was after pressure canning salmon. That was difficult to get out of the pressure vessel

You'll be fine I've done crab, lobster, shrimp, octopus, and all sorts of fish it'll be fine. If you're concerned crank it on high and let it run a few minutes after the crab comes off.

I smoked 5 rainbow trout in my traeger a few weeks back then did a brisket for 13 hours the next day, didn’t notice any fish flavor.

You’re fine especially with crab but the better question is why put crab on the smoker in the first place. Frozen crab is less than optimal to start with but the smoker sounds like a good way to dry it out.

Better off steaming it to warm and serving with garlic butter and sourdough bread with a nice Sauvignon Blanc. Maybe make crab cakes or crab Mac n cheese with some Gruyère or something that will highlight the crab.

Enjoy the seafood it’s always a treat!!

-Eliot

I smoke salmon, halibut, moose, pork, & beef. Keep it all clean, no issues.
We eat a bit of King crab, out of the oven. Never thought to smoke it, so good on it's own!

Wrap the drip pan in foil and let her rip. Afterwards, Remove foil and run it on high for a while. Vacuum out ash when it’s cooled down, it will be as good as new.

Google says some people Traeger crab legs. mtmuley
Google says people shoot 6.5 Creedmores too, but why? It makes no sense. Know what I mean?

Crab meat is on the inside of the shell, so smoking them would be like wrapping a rack raw of baby backs completely in tin foil, then throwing them in the smoker.

Google says people shoot 6.5 Creedmores too, but why? It makes no sense. Know what I mean?

Crab meat is on the inside of the shell, so smoking them would be like wrapping a rack raw of baby backs completely in tin foil, then throwing them in the smoker.
Didn't say I agreed. Or that I would shoot a Creedmoor. mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back