SE Montana Elk Changes

Roadgoat

Has anyone heard of changes to the elk season structure in 704,702,705 for 24'? Do you know where more info on any changes would be found? Thanks!

Last edited:
The way this works is fwp will drop it right before the public meeting and during hunting season in hopes no one will show up. I have heard nothing.

That was what I was told before the last season setting was that the boss had decided(at the time worsech) that these units were going general season and there was nothing I could do about it. It was a done deal. Now obviously that’s not how it played out but that was what Hank wanted after a friend of mine discussed it with him. He couldn’t understand why these units shouldn’t be general season. I suspect we will see that change at some point.

That was what I was told before the last season setting was that the boss had decided(at the time worsech) that these units were going general season and there was nothing I could do about it. It was a done deal. Now obviously that’s not how it played out but that was what Hank wanted after a friend of mine discussed it with him. He couldn’t understand why these units shouldn’t be general season. I suspect we will see that change at some point.
Wow.... the dream team just really never ceases to amaze on stupidity.

Thanks for the information. I will fight this with every single person that will join me. These limited units aren’t that great compared to other states but are significantly better than general units in Montana, unless you hunt private. Please keep us informed about any potential hearings/meetings. Thanks Preston

Well atleast when SE MT goes to bulls on general maybe SW Montana won’t be so crowded lol . Oh and now all the western Montana folks that used to haul trailer loads of mule deer doe’s from the east back home to the west can still use their trailer since no more b tags for deer now they can use it for a bull.

I bet if SE were to go ‘general’, the Snowies and everything through the Bulls would too. Curious if they would allocate unlimited permits to these eastern districts and make them ‘first choice only’.

While they're at it why not implement a region 700 moose tag to control the population of a whopping 10 moose that fight to survive everyday down there to...
I’m not sure if you are being facetious but I think that is actually being proposed and implemented. I know it was out for comment. 10 moose might be high 😂

While they're at it why not implement a region 700 moose tag to control the population of a whopping 10 moose that fight to survive everyday down there to...
Out of all the possible scenarios this I’m quite sure will happen. No joke

My dad attended one of the R7 season setting meetings and when this proposal was brought up he asked how many moose they thought were living in R7. Their response was something like “we’re not real sure but we’re getting more reports of hunters seeing moose”.

Probably send out a survey here soon on proposed season. We had one just down the road from our house a few weeks ago

My first question to anyone I hear proposing general elk in 799 is are you ready to go to limited for mule deer then. The mule deer are not handling the current pressure well. It is not going to get better when you open up a bunch of public land with easy to navigate terrain, trophy elk and no grizzlies. The elk will move to large ranches with little hunting and the deer will get slaughtered.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back