SD west river opener

T Bone

Today was the opener for rifle on the west side of SD. My 11 year old son and I slept in the truck and woke early and hiked into the rolling sage hills with hopes of big mulies. I left the camera on the bumper of the truck when I tightened up my boot laces, and forgot about it until we were already a mile away....The inky black morning got worse when I had extremely poor execution on my morning boul movement. Wet wipes to the rescue. Anyhoo...I digress.

We arrived at a high nob about 3 miles in just as it was starting to get light....

We sat and glassed....deer, antelope, coyotes all over the place. We sat for a couple hours and looked over quite a few deer but none really turned me on. To my surprise there were a lot of whitetail rutting in the sage draws. I saw two mature muley bucks both solo and no sign of the rut with them.

I was dumbfounded by the numbers of the trucks constantly patrolling the roads in the distance...and so few hunters were seen in our area. All public access mind you.

We watched in awe through the spotter when two hunters bumped head on to a nice whitetail buck and the deer laid down right in front of them as they walked within 50 yards of him. After they passed by the unseen deer in the sage, the buck got up with his head low and tail clamped down and scooted out of there fast. He came right to us as if we reeled him in.

He presented himself nicely and the conditions were too good....We couldn't resist letting him walk. The 270 cracked and down he went. No giant, but a handsome 4x4 whitetail. We quartered him and got him loaded up into the pack and started out. Nathainiel played a major part of all aspects of the hunt.

Here we are, having just returned to the truck.
102_0263.JPG

And here is my sidekick with the trophy. This shows the country. Not exactly what I've thought of as whitetail country.
102_0264.JPG

Congrats on a good looking whitey, T-bone. Sounds like your son is going to be as dedicated as you if he's already sleeping in the truck and hiking in 3 miles before light.

Great buck and even greater story about you and your son sharing some special time.

Congrats!

Congrats! Definitely not your 'classic' whitetail country, but sure looks like fun country to hunt. Kudos on getting the kids 'ruined'... ;)

T My 11 year old son and I slept in the truck and woke early and hiked into the rolling sage hills with hopes of big mulies.

The inky black morning got worse when I had extremely poor execution on my morning boul movement.

Sleeping in the truck... and Crapping your pants. Thats the start of every one of your great adventures :D :D

Congrats to you and Nathainiel !!! When is Sam gunna make it out ? I can't remember how much younger he is ?

Awesome hunt T! That's a great whitey. It amazes me how I grew up in "prime WT habitat" but still the two biggest bucks I have ever seen were in country similar to where you found that guy.

"Poor execution"....:D

Great story T bone. I can't wait to take my boys with me hunting. Congrats to you and your son! Oh yeah, and nice buck.

Sounds like you and your son had a great hunt. Congrats!!!!!

Looks like quite an adventure and one I'm sure the boy will always remember. Way to go Dad!

Way to go T-bone and TB-Jr......what a great story...congrats all the way around.

congrats Tyson, nice buck and I am glad your son was along for the trip. I am sure he is looking forward to next year with his own tag in pocket.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back