SD West River Deer advise?

Muskeez

Hey guys, my daughter is a student at SDSU and can get tags as a resident. Time to take advantage of this. We have never hunted mule deer but would like to give it a try, and no better way to learn than on a $40 resident tag! I would not apply for a tag, just go along with her. Can anyone point us in a general direction? I have looked at some units west of Mobridge and west of Chamberlain, but they seem to take at least 2 years to draw even for residents. She would be applying for an "any deer" tag in the rifle season. Thanks for any help!

teamhoyt

My experience in SD is limited but I would recommend applying for an any deer tag and then picking up a leftover wt tag if unsuccessful. I think a sd resident can end up with multiple tags a year.

rjlefty3

My experience there is limited too, but for mulies the NW corner is where I would go. More public land there than you'll be able to see in the season. NW corner also has more mulies compared to other parts of the state.

I've hunted a little more east than there in a unit along the Cheyenne River. I had no points and found a unit that was pretty close to 100% odds (for NR - whitetail only tag though) with a lot of public land. Might be an option if you'd like to pick up a tag too. Saw plenty of deer in the few days I was out there, despite spending a day or two just trying to figure out the country. Ended up getting a decent buck and had a blast. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you what I know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acarswell