SD turkey #3 down. I'm done now.

T Bone

100_6391.jpg

May 12 I went for one last turkey chase. Went down on the prairie where I got the little hen a couple weeks ago. The hope was that more birds had moved up out of the agriculture into the area I had access to.

Right at sunrise I heard a couple gobbles and moved into position. Worked a a flock of birds with 4 toms in it at 200 yards but they were henned up, wouldn't budge. I was wishing I'd of brought the rifle instead of the shotgun. I quit calling as the birds slowly fed away. When they were out of sight I circled and got into a spot where I hoped they'd cross.

Sure enough they came over the hill and when the 1st mature tom came by at 40 yards I popped him with a load of 4's. He was in rough shape. Lots of missing feathers and a smallish bird all around.

I have my archery tag unfilled, but I believe I'm done. I missed one gravy shot with my bow. Had a bird at 15 yards and I decided to head shoot him and whiffed the broadhead by his head. The best part of the turkey hunt is scouting for deer. Found a couple promising areas and a set of very promising whitetail sheds.

Peace turkeys, until next year.

cjcj,

In certain areas it is allowed to kill either sex bird. This is one of those areas. Another thing I find peculiar is that rifles are legal as well.

For the turkey-holics, its legal to get up to 10 birds per year in this area.

Wow 10 birds! down here[AZ] your lucky if you draw a tag.

I guess I can see popping one in the head with a 22 mag. or a small round... but I have always used a 12 ga. or 410 for hens... In Az you can only kill one per year... and in the spring its shotgun only.

I just started putting in again, so I have an excuse to get out.
Thanks for the info.

Good work Tyson. I am looking forward to chasing some tomorrow afternoon around Sturgis (after my fun 9 hr drive):D . Sounds like the place I was going to hunt had some tresspassers and a dead turkey last week. Hopefully things have quieted down and there will be a receptive gobbler or two.

Hopefully the deer scouting will hold you over until you get a couple sheep tags during the next two months.:D

After a year in SD it looks like you have the critters figured out. Good luck with the rest of your 2006 season.

Nice T! Looks the the move is treating you well....critters in the backyard are always a good thing! You guys ready for the summer heat yet? We are already getting mid-June loads out this way :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back