MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Screw the children.

Redwood

I will start by stating that I am aware this forum is not necessarily intended for a topic such as this and that I do not have even close to all the facts.

With that said, I had a sad visit with a friend last night. She relayed that the state of MT is looking to stop funding towards youth social work. In a nut shell, my friend works as a social worker. That is not her actual job description, but that is what she is. Her employer has offices throughout the state and country where they specialize in troubled youth. While I will not go into specifics; she works with children ranging from 3-12 that have been physically/sexually abused, abandoned and neglected, exposed to horrific environments, and witness to heinous crimes including murder of parents. She and her colleges can only spend a few hours a week per kid as unfortunately there are just too many. So the state has now decided to pursue the elimination of their funding. Why, certain MT officials apparently don't feel it is money well spent. Apparently the state feels the children are not old enough to benefit from a program like this and they will receive the help they need at an older age.

Again, I don't have all the facts. Not even close. All I know is this is what she is being told by her boss who was told by the state.

It goes without saying that I find this appalling. We have discussed the work she has been doing numerous times. The things these children experience and the environment with which they live. We have discussed the changes and progress that she has seen in these children. How having a person that merely acknowledges their presence has had a profound impact in their lives. The progress that school workers report and the evident social and behavior improvements that are being made. What will happen to these kids once this program and its aid are no longer available. Who will be there to step up and ensure they have a fighting chance to make something of themselves. Likely no one. Giving the demographic of these children, they will follow in the steps their parents have laid down for them. They will likely fall between the cracks, become the things that go bump in the night. How easily could one of them be the next shooter at a school or mall. I am not trying to be a fear monger, but asking "nature vs. nurture".

Just some food for thought if nothing else.

I find it hard to believe the state can't find other things to cut before the investment into our children; especially the ones that need it most.

Last edited:
Your concerns are valid.Kids are low on the totem pole here as evident by the pitiful financial support put forward towards our public schools.

It is not only a State by State issue . . . . . . it's Nationally.

Did anyone else see the 60 minutes story? http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mentally-ill-youth-in-crisis/

There are a lot of people (young and old) that need attention and cannot get it due to the costs associated for mental health care. This should be a wake up call for our State and Nation.

This is just "the tip of the ice-berg" for the problems facing our nation. IMO this is the root of the vast majority of the shootings we are seeing today. It is not the guns, but the lack there of mental health care "system" we have in place.

Meanwhile our Government didn't drop a single dime of the millions in financial aid that we offer to Illegal aliens. We are running off the tracks……..fast! It makes no sense.

Its a broad topic...but since my wife is a teacher I hear first hand about how Montana devalues education.Pretty tough to follow national standards when there are inadequate funds.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back