MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Scoring quiz

mtmiller

Not a great shot, but describes the question. Is that a g3 or not? I would go with "no", but I don't know much.
51668727098_8395ed2c78_5k.jpg

I think the ruling would be no on the common base.
You are correct. This was a potential world record until the scoring panel said it shared the same base, making it a irregular point.Screenshot_20211109-213747_Chrome.jpg

Great pictures, but you would probably have to have the antlers in hand to determine if should be scored as a G3 or a G4. The difference lies in if it is common base points or a single base point with a branch point coming off of it. Common base vs single base is determined by the cross section of the base if it were cut off the main beam. If that cross section looks like a figure 8 then its common base points, if it looks like an oval then its a single base point.

If it is common base points [figure 8 cross section] then the antler does not have a G3, you would score that point as the G4 since its base is on the main beam, then the next point down the beam would be abnormal.

If it is a single base point [oval cross section] then it branches off of the G2, and you would score it as a G3.

These two scenarios also lead to some interesting measurements for H3 and H4.

As best I can tell from the photos its common base points, so I agree with others above that he doesn't have a G3 on that side.

Another vote for common base - If it has a common base that means it is coming off beam not front of g2.

Gotta be at least 4.5yrs old. Maybe 5.5? No Roman nose yet. At 4.5 he might be “something special” next year. At 5.5, he may not grow much bigger in future years unless maybe you had a bad drought this year and get well timed rain and plenty of it sometime in the next season or two. I think he’s likely to grow a little, but probably not a ton.

I think the biggest scoring benefit he could reap in the next few years would be if the base in question was an 1” or more longer, giving him a real G3. Even better would be to get a G3 on that side AND a little deeper fork on the other side, which would not only be more antler, but better symmetry.

Super cool buck no matter what.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back