Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scope suggestion?

williaada

My brother in law is looking to purchase a scope for 300-400 go hunting. He shoots out to about 250 max. What are peoples suggestions.

I bought a Burris Signature 2x10x40 scope. I like this magnification range better than the 3x9. Think it is a good value with good quality construction, small size, and good glass. It was the cheapest 2x10 I could find for a big name quality scope. Not USA made though. I like the Ballistic E3 reticle but some do not. Only problem I see is scope tube length is short so not much adjustment on your rifle for eye relief. For my gun, the fit was perfect. I wanted a Leupold but too much $$ to get a 2x10.

My brother in law is looking to purchase a scope for 300-400 go hunting. He shoots out to about 250 max. What are peoples suggestions.
Meopta optika5 if he doesn't need a heavy reticle

I believe the best hunting scope I've ever had is an old Redfield 2 3/4x that I still use today. Been using it about about 40yrs with never a problem. Harder to find them today so I do hunt with other's on other rifle's. 3-9x came first. Like to zero at 6x and hunt on 3x. I don't ever recall shooting an animal at more than 3x. But these days I lean toward the 2-7x. Can hunt on 2x and fine for anything other than chipmunks at 200yds, and zero at 6x. I have shot at 1" aiming points at 100 and 200 yds. Danr near impossible to shoot well at a 1" aiming point at most any distance! It is impossible at 200yds, just can't see much aiming point. Get up to 6x and everything is good to go at 100yds and still works at 1' aiming point fairly well at 200yds. At 200yds 9x would be better.

But you go out and shoot at a 1" or ever 2" aiming point at 100yds and what size is the aiming point on even a small deer at even 300yds? reading some things said about scopes I sometimes think people are shooting at ants at longer range! Try taking a 9x setting and shooting at am 8" aiming point at 100yds. Unless you decide to shoot at the first bullet hole your groups will widen, much easier to aim well at an aiming point just a bit larger than your cross wires will cover. Correct myself here. The aiming point needs to be round, not a diamond. I make my own target's and use a diamond for an aiming point. With the diamond a try to set each crosswire on a point of the diamond. You have a 1" circle and chances are you can't see what your aiming at to begin with!

When I got my 6.5x06 I got a 4 1/2-14x scope for it to shoot out to 500yds. I found that at 8x I had all I needed. Of course I also enlarged the aiming point on the target, don't recall how much. If your brother is a 250yd shooter at deer and shoot's at 1" aiming point to zero, he'll probably do alright but at 250yds at a deer the aiming point is much larger and not really as well defined. Infact if he used say 2 3/4x at 250yds on a deer it would actually reduce the size of the aiming point making judging the hold easier. Just a guess here but try a 26x scope on a deer at 250yds. No I have never tried it. At 26x you might find the all you can see of the deer is hair and to find an aiming point your gonna have to power down. Exactly the reason I hunt with variable on the lowest power!

I believe the best hunting scope I've ever had is an old Redfield 2 3/4x that I still use today. Been using it about about 40yrs with never a problem. Harder to find them today so I do hunt with other's on other rifle's. 3-9x came first. Like to zero at 6x and hunt on 3x. I don't ever recall shooting an animal at more than 3x. But these days I lean toward the 2-7x. Can hunt on 2x and fine for anything other than chipmunks at 200yds, and zero at 6x. I have shot at 1" aiming points at 100 and 200 yds. Danr near impossible to shoot well at a 1" aiming point at most any distance! It is impossible at 200yds, just can't see much aiming point. Get up to 6x and everything is good to go at 100yds and still works at 1' aiming point fairly well at 200yds. At 200yds 9x would be better.

But you go out and shoot at a 1" or ever 2" aiming point at 100yds and what size is the aiming point on even a small deer at even 300yds? reading some things said about scopes I sometimes think people are shooting at ants at longer range! Try taking a 9x setting and shooting at am 8" aiming point at 100yds. Unless you decide to shoot at the first bullet hole your groups will widen, much easier to aim well at an aiming point just a bit larger than your cross wires will cover. Correct myself here. The aiming point needs to be round, not a diamond. I make my own target's and use a diamond for an aiming point. With the diamond a try to set each crosswire on a point of the diamond. You have a 1" circle and chances are you can't see what your aiming at to begin with!

When I got my 6.5x06 I got a 4 1/2-14x scope for it to shoot out to 500yds. I found that at 8x I had all I needed. Of course I also enlarged the aiming point on the target, don't recall how much. If your brother is a 250yd shooter at deer and shoot's at 1" aiming point to zero, he'll probably do alright but at 250yds at a deer the aiming point is much larger and not really as well defined. Infact if he used say 2 3/4x at 250yds on a deer it would actually reduce the size of the aiming point making judging the hold easier. Just a guess here but try a 26x scope on a deer at 250yds. No I have never tried it. At 26x you might find the all you can see of the deer is hair and to find an aiming point your gonna have to power down. Exactly the reason I hunt with variable on the lowest power!
Interesting.

I usually hunt with variable 4-12 power scopes.
While walking around i have them set at 4X.
If i spot something at longer distance and have the time, i'll change the power setting to 12X.

At 250 yards, there is no fear that the reticle is going to obscure your aiming point on a deer, or other animal.

Note, the reticle size changes with first focal plane scopes, not second focal plane.

I bought 2 Diamondbacks.
One a 4-12X40 "Tactical".
The other a 4-12X40 BDC.
When i compared the optics next to the 4-12X40 Crossfire II, and saw no difference, i sold off the overpriced Diamondbacks!

Check with @schmalts. He can get you set up with a good Leupold!

I'm a little late to the game here but I'm in the hunt for a new scope also. I have a couple Swaro scopes and my favorite is the Z3 which I understand is discontinued. I have a plie of Vortex and they are "ok". I'm thinking about the Razor HD series but they seem a little spendy for the made in china quality. I've been cruising around the Leopold website but it's a little difficult to navigate for comparison shopping. Any thoughts on any of the 3 brands vs. the others?

I'm a little late to the game here but I'm in the hunt for a new scope also. I have a couple Swaro scopes and my favorite is the Z3 which I understand is discontinued. I have a plie of Vortex and they are "ok". I'm thinking about the Razor HD series but they seem a little spendy for the made in china quality. I've been cruising around the Leopold website but it's a little difficult to navigate for comparison shopping. Any thoughts on any of the 3 brands vs. the others?

Isn't the Razor series Japanese glass, and some of the other Vortex scopes Philippines and maybe even some made in Vietnam?

Anyway, the Razor glass is nice. But heavy.

It's more about series than manufacturer when you compare. At the high end, they are all nice enough. Then it depemds on what you value, or rather, what value you determine based on the offering.

Leupold FX-III 6x42
Leupold VX-IIIHD

Sightron S-Tac

It’s a shame that Sightron quit making the Japanese SII, and that Weaver Grand Slams are no longer made.

I settled on the Leupold VX-3HD 4.5x14 40 mm with the Boone and Crockett reticle. There's a bunch of reasons I chose it for price, quality, and reticle. It originally was out of stock at Leupold so I asked for an "in stock" notice that I got the next day at 9:30 pm. I ordered it right then last Thursday evening. It was shipped the next day, Friday and I'll receive it tomorrow on Monday!
On the flip side of all this the new custom Shaw .300 Win Mag. I ordered won't be here until around April!!

I settled on the Leupold VX-3HD 4.5x14 40 mm with the Boone and Crockett reticle. There's a bunch of reasons I chose it for price, quality, and reticle. It originally was out of stock at Leupold so I asked for an "in stock" notice that I got the next day at 9:30 pm. I ordered it right then last Thursday evening. It was shipped the next day, Friday and I'll receive it tomorrow on Monday!
On the flip side of all this the new custom Shaw .300 Win Mag. I ordered won't be here until around April!!
So you ordered directly from Leupold?

I would be curious what you think of it. Looked at one in sportsman’s and was about to buy but the exposed turret makes no sense. I want a bdc reticle so I can set and forget and not worry about dialing. I don’t want to get the turret turned chasing an elk or deer through the brush and mess up my shot. I like this reticle best but I might have to go with the maven or trijicon option because of the exposed turret.

I'm sure it's going to have things to get used to. I've shot with Leupold and they are very nice. I was actually looking for a decent price on a Z3 and started doing comparisons. Swaro doesn't offer any sort of VIP program so honestly,,, I couldn't afford a new Z3 especially seing how it's going on a new rifle that will see minimal use. It came down to quality vs. dollars and cents. The Leupold won. Vortex was at the bottom of MY list even though I have Vortex on several of my rifles from .223 to .308.

If I understand OP correctly he's looking for something to kill big game out to 250 yards. A 3x9x40 with BDC reticle or even simple dual taper crosshair would do fine for that work. I shot my muley buck this fall at around 200 yards offhand with a Nikon BDC turned all the way up to 9x. It was a quick shot but there was no doubt in my mind that deer was going down. It was easy. Two other factors were/are more important: adding a GREAT new Timney trigger and shooting a 9 lb 30-06 that's balanced perfectly just ahead of the magazine box. However, if I'd been using a scope cranked up to even 12x it would have been too jumpy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back