Yeti GOBOX Collection

Scope rookie, here - hit the limit on scope elevation (depression?)

David58

Ok, I am a scope idiot. Well, not totally, because I did buy my new Leupold from Schmaltz. But otherwise, I am an open sight muzzleloader shooter, and have a problem now that I don't get with iron sights...

I am at zero on my scope elevation, and still need to go a click or two lower. What now? Sorry for my cluelessness, and I trust you folks more than YouTube for a good answer.

d

I had that happen once as well. Bought a base and ring combo specific for my rifle on Leupold’s website and that took care of it.

What are the specifics of your setup? (Rifle, base, rings, objective)

Last edited:
As Blueridge mentioned we need more info and a pic might help as well. First suspect without any other info is that you have the rings or mounts backwards or the wrong rings or mounts. Something isnt right.

Rings were from the previous mount, a Simmons. I guess this is where I lost on my mount at Cabela's - "gunsmith" told me no new rings were needed, I asked several times. Should have spent the $$$ on the Leupold rings. Back to Albuquerque....at least I know the system will put bullets in a nice tight group, just that hair higher than I prefer.

Ok, your questions are leaving me with more questions.
Your "at zero, but need a couple more clicks".
Meaning the number on your turret is zero?

Or have you bottomed out your elevation adjustment and it won't go any further?

If it's just that the number on the turret shows zero, continue turning it till it is impacting where you are aiming for.
After that, there is a screw in the middle on the top of the turret.
Take it out (don't lose it!). Lift the turret, and align the mark on the scope body with the zero on the turret. Press it down, and replace the screw.

If you cannot get enough travel in the scope, to impact where you are aiming at 100 yards, something is wrong.

Your scope should have in the neighborhood of 70 minutes of adjustment. Some more, some less. That's 70 inches at 100 yards.
When you get your scope, it is usually in the middle of that adjustment range. Meaning you have 35 minutes of up, and 35 minutes of down adjustment.

Ok, your questions are leaving me with more questions.
Your "at zero, but need a couple more clicks".
Meaning the number on your turret is zero?

Or have you bottomed out your elevation adjustment and it won't go any further?

If it's just that the number on the turret shows zero, continue turning it till it is impacting where you are aiming for.
After that, there is a screw in the middle on the top of the turret.
Take it out (don't lose it!). Lift the turret, and align the mark on the scope body with the zero on the turret. Press it down, and replace the screw.

If you cannot get enough travel in the scope, to impact where you are aiming at 100 yards, something is wrong.

Your scope should have in the neighborhood of 70 minutes of adjustment. Some more, some less. That's 70 inches at 100 yards.
When you get your scope, it is usually in the middle of that adjustment range. Meaning you have 35 minutes of up, and 35 minutes of down adjustment.
Turret is at zero, no more depression. I have discussed this with a scope guy at work who suggested two alternatives: 1, shim, or 2, get Leupold rings. Going with option 2, rings should run $100 or less. About what the ammo was worth to sight in first time. POI will of course change, but I'm confident in my group so sighting in should go pretty quick.

I hope....

Pics and specifics might save you some money. Worth a chance before you start chasing things. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on here.

Turret is at zero, no more depression. I have discussed this with a scope guy at work who suggested two alternatives: 1, shim, or 2, get Leupold rings. Going with option 2, rings should run $100 or less. About what the ammo was worth to sight in first time. POI will of course change, but I'm confident in my group so sighting in should go pretty quick.

I hope....
Unless you get rings with an inclination built into them, i really don't see where buying a different brand of rings is going to help you.

As i said previously, if you don't have enough elevation adjustment at 100 yards, something is wrong!

If you trust your coworker, then i'd take the gun to him, let him take the whole ring/base assembly apart, and reinstall it first.

Note...
If he doesn't have an inch pound torque wrench, he's NOT your scope guy!

Ok, I am a scope idiot. Well, not totally, because I did buy my new Leupold from Schmaltz. But otherwise, I am an open sight muzzleloader shooter, and have a problem now that I don't get with iron sights...

I am at zero on my scope elevation, and still need to go a click or two lower. What now? Sorry for my cluelessness, and I trust you folks more than YouTube for a good answer.

d
On your Leupold scope, is there a button that you have to press before you can move your elevation turret? If there is, I think I know what your problem is.

Unless you get rings with an inclination built into them, i really don't see where buying a different brand of rings is going to help you.

As i said previously, if you don't have enough elevation adjustment at 100 yards, something is wrong!

If you trust your coworker, then i'd take the gun to him, let him take the whole ring/base assembly apart, and reinstall it first.

Note...
If he doesn't have an inch pound torque wrench, he's NOT your scope guy!
I think he's got a locking turret...Leupold scope.

It seems from his other post in the optics forum he bought a VX3HD 3.510. I’d bet it has a CDS-Zero Lock turret. You need to loosen the set screws and adjust the turret to give you more available adjustment. Lock the set screws and finish sighting in. Then loosen them again and reset the turret to zero once your zero height is where you want it.

If it's a new scope then it could be a factory defect. A couple years ago I bought a high dollar/high quality scope that bottomed out on elevation and almost bottomed on horizontal. Closest I could get was about 6" high at 100 yards. I was using the exact rings I had used previously on a similar scope. I sent it back to factory and they fixed it for free, sent it back to me and it works great now. Proves that even top dollar scopes can be defective from the factory.

I had purchased this particular scope about two years earlier and never installed it due to changing firearm circumstances. I was worried the company would object, but they repaired no questions asked. Vortex

It seems from his other post in the optics forum he bought a VX3HD 3.510. I’d bet it has a CDS-Zero Lock turret. You need to loosen the set screws and adjust the turret to give you more available adjustment. Lock the set screws and finish sighting in. Then loosen them again and reset the turret to zero once your zero height is where you want it.
This...read this before you do anything else.

Yessir....I have been in this exact pickle & was ready to get the channel locks.

How high are you at 100 yards? Could you shoot a heavier bullet? The heavier bullet might very well lower your point of impact.

This..... The zero lock gets set after you get the gun sighted in. until then the Zero lock position is not you max travel to adjust it down. Make to sure to read all papers in the box, and if nothing is there check the Leupold website for instructions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back