Yeti GOBOX Collection

Scope rookie, here - hit the limit on scope elevation (depression?)

This makes a conversation for sure but I get the feeling this is nothing more than a misunderstanding on the part of the OP. This is his first scope! I don't have a clue how this can happen? He mentioned his buddy said shims. Huh, seems to me what sometimes get's shims in the base not the rings! Great idea for him. Get rid of the scope and get a straight 4x. He said something about the turret being on zero. I suspect the turret could be on zero and there would still be adjustment below that. I think someone mentioned that. Another thing, I think when shims are needed aren't they to add range for long range shooting? Pretty much all the base's and rings he might get will do exactly as the maker says they will do. In this case they should do what we expect them to do. When I buy base's, not often anymore, I buy base's made to work on the brand of rifle I want them for. Rings usually work on pretty much any base's I think but I generally buy the same brand ring's as bases for no other reason than I'm not sure if all rings will work on all bases. Or course the old Redfield and Leupold rings that twist lock in will be different. The only trouble I can imagine scoping a rifle is ring height! Get them to low and you have a problem, to high and a problem in the opposite direction. I believe all my rings are med height and my biggest scope front lens is only 40mm. just always seems to work. Some people not knowing what they are doing read a lot of stuff having no bearing on what they are trying to do and figure if it works there it should work here also, doesn't always work that way but getting it straightened out make for some interesting conversation! Somehow I thing that's where we are at here. Sometime the hardest fix is the one right under your nose!

New to scope's and says he's at zero on elevation. Someone explained how to fix that. If you have a scope with adjustable turrets I suspect you bought more than you can use for the first scope!

Received the Leupold rings made for my Ruger 77. Will install them and the scope when I get the levels in the mail (trying to set myself up for success, bought one of them little level sets for scope installation). Medium height. Will bore sight before I head to the range, happen to have a laser boresight set my son bought me some years ago. Then, off to the range to give 'er a go.

Calming my nerves this week by sighting in a couple of muzzle loaders on Monday, at least for that I only need a file and a drift and hammer...

Received the Leupold rings made for my Ruger 77. Will install them and the scope when I get the levels in the mail (trying to set myself up for success, bought one of them little level sets for scope installation). Medium height. Will bore sight before I head to the range, happen to have a laser boresight set my son bought me some years ago. Then, off to the range to give 'er a go.

Calming my nerves this week by sighting in a couple of muzzle loaders on Monday, at least for that I only need a file and a drift and hammer...

Just curious. Did you read the instructions and figure out how to adjust your zero stop in case you need more adjustment?
Good luck and let us know if you run into any trouble.

"Ruger" is the critical piece of information. The front and rear rings may be different heights.

Check your scope for damage and be sure of which ring goes where. Ruger rings are good quality. You may want a gunsmith to lap them in and set them up for you

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back