Scope levels - Your experiences?

2rocky

From archery I've seen the effect of inconsistent canting on accuracy and I'm willing to risk the $10 to try a scope level on my rifle.

Have folks had good results with them staying put? How does your shot sequence go when a level is part of your setup?

Any issues with them hanging up or getting knocked around in a saddle scabbard?

product-image-162744384_1200x1200.jpg

Are you shooting long range stuff? If not, don’t bother.

I have them on my rifles and don’t notice them hanging on stuff.

Not needed within 200y, but after that, it helps. I have never had a problem carrying or strapped to pack. Never had in scabbard.

Last edited:
I have both styles and prefer the style like Brockel.
A level is a great tool for shooting longer ranges. If going the clamp on style I always lap it before install also. Darrel Holland makes a nice side level.

Festus that is a spendy level. but I have seen it on Television I think

I want to rule out my rights and lefts while sighting in as being due to cant.

then I'm gonna try my hand at 300/400 on 12" steel.

I like this kind which you can get via eBay for about $25 shipped. Offer $20 on a couple and see if he takes it. I like it because the bubble more nearly fills the space between the 2 lines compared to others I've seen. OTOH Vortex offers one in which the level is incorporated as the top half of the ring.

rcopRpH.jpg

Take the bottom half of your scope box and cut a V notch in each of the 2 long sides. Loosely attach the level to the scope and set the scope in the 2 notches. Hang a plumb line or find a building edge that is vertical and rotate the scope until the vertical crosshair is in line with your vertical target. Rotate the level until the bubble is in between the 2 lines when the crosshair coincides with your vertical reference. It may take a bit but once done your scope should be level.

I like having a level on my scopes, even though I don't consider myself a long-range guy. It might be just in my head, but I am more consistent with the level than without it. Probably wouldn't make the difference in a lethal and non-lethal shot, but I am more confident with it on there. I just run the cheapies off of Amazon or eBay.

I tried and really didn't care for it. Just became another thing to think about.
Range distance
change dials
check rest
range again
change dials again
maybe get up and move.
sit or stand wait for a good clean shot, oh good elk is moving, better shot angle
Start all over again with the above.

Then I started looking at my level. Just became to much. And if you have a quick shot it doesn't matter. All this crap is causing too much mental masturbation in the moment for me during hunting, Range is ok but not while hunting.

They have their place but it’s not on a hunting rifle, IMO. I like to keep my hunting rifles as basic and light as possible. Good marksmanship will get you a lot further with a hunting rifle then a scope level. Plenty of other variables you can control before needing to add a level.

I use a level on my long-range target rifle, but otherwise... No, never felt the need. Not even for varmint shooting at longish ranges.

Can one help? I suppose so, but an awful lot of excellent shooting has been done on the range and in the field, without a level on the rifle.

Regards, Guy

Festus that is a spendy level. but I have seen it on Television I think

I want to rule out my rights and lefts while sighting in as being due to cant.

then I'm gonna try my hand at 300/400 on 12" steel.

Level your scope to your natural hold instead of the action and you may not need the level

This is one of those things I always considered a little gimmicky, but maybe not. I really can't see any practical use for a thing like this unless you're shooting pretty far.

I've noticed with my bow...If I'm shooting along a sidehill, I will need to consciously cant into the hill to keep the bubble level in the middle. Add shooting up and downhill and there could be some lefts and rights you don't expect. I've seen it in archery so I want to see for myself with my rifle. for $12 delivered, I'm willing to give it a try.

No expert by any means, but if you are clicking turrets or have a range compensating reticle, your setup has to be should be is more accurate when level/plumb. Especially at distance - which is why you would be clicking in the first place. Physics is real (or is it trigonometry? 🤷‍♂️).

'Pie plate = good to go' shooters (not that there's anything wrong with that) won't notice the difference, until much further out. But nobody shoots that far cause we all know the rule: GET CLOSER...

All the issues start coming out somewhere around 500-700 yards for rifles. That’s where the if the guns not level and the optic
perfectly centered above the bore you’ll see Point of impact change relative to gun angle become magnified to an extent that it’s an issue for hunting accuracy.

it’s a good practice to have your gun as level as possible. It willnot only keep your impacts from wandering it will also keep your form the same.

and fyi.....you always level the optic to the gun....not to your shooting stance....

I run a level on about half of my setups. Anything I think I may go past 300 yards with generally does. Even many of my wheelguns wear a level. I machine one into the back of the scope base if I can.

I prefer the levels that go out to the side, like the one @Festus linked, because I prefer opening my left eye to check the level when I'm ready to shoot rather than lifting my head to see the level on top of the scope. It is usually the last thing I check before pulling the trigger and makes it so there is as little movement as possible.

From archery I've seen the effect of inconsistent canting on accuracy and I'm willing to risk the $10 to try a scope level on my rifle.

Have folks had good results with them staying put? How does your shot sequence go when a level is part of your setup?

Any issues with them hanging up or getting knocked around in a saddle scabbard?

product-image-162744384_1200x1200.jpg

I use one on my main hunting rifle. I often day hunt with a pack that has a built-in scabbard and no issues for me after several hunts and dozens of miles of stumbling and slipping and sliding. I have a stigmatism in one eye and that is the eye that looks through my scope. Not sure if installing the level made a difference but I check the level with my other eye right before shoot then boom. Am usually very close to level now as I do the eye peak pre-shoot but the first few times after installed the level I was not naturally placing the crosshairs level so imho has been a good teaching aid to build better form. And, I was tending to group right of target as went out to further distances at the range and since added the level this is not the case with the same rifle and ammo.

Back