Scope decision

I paid for insurance. For some reason, some of the drivers will just set things on the ground instead of putting them by the front door, which only requires opening and then closing a waist-high wood gate.

Landed on the VX3HD 3.5X10 Leupold. Arrived in the mail today, thanks to Schmalts. Glad it got here before we left for vacation, they left the box on the sidewalk in front of our front courtyard.
The right choice in scopes & retailers. That 3.5x10 is the best value for a scope on the market today.

They normally get sent requiring a signature unless you declined insurance. Good choice BTW. I just recently got a VX3-HD 180623 4.5 - 14.
It's been up to the delivery driver many times. Insurance does help get them to do a better job but in the end the driver isn't the one paying the loss if it goes missing. Hard to find good help these days. I would call and file a complaint, that is just lazy

I bought a 1200 box of 5.56 at the end of NOV (got it at .43) from Midway. I told the wife to expect it as I was going on a hunt. They dropped the box, MARKED as IMI 62gr 5.56 ammo on the mat with no signature. Between the value and nature of the package I was HOT. Let them know about it and they were basically like "oh well, you got it didn't you?" SMFH......

I bought some ammo a few weeks ago online. It got tossed up against the garage door facing the street. Twenty five ft from the front porch that has a screened in vestibule where for the passed ten years every other delivery driver has put things.
just by luck I saw in in the back up camera before I ran over it.

Delta airlines temporarily misplaced one of my rifles a while back (custom i had $5k into). Once the found it, they somehow shipped it in just the hard case, no cardboard, and left it sitting against the front door of my seedy ground level apartment where anyone driving through the lot could see it.. Was quite surprised to see it there when i got home.

Delta airlines temporarily misplaced one of my rifles a while back (custom i had $5k into). Once the found it, they somehow shipped it in just the hard case, no cardboard, and left it sitting against the front door of my seedy ground level apartment where anyone driving through the lot could see it.. Was quite surprised to see it there when i got home.
I had Alaska Airlines do the same thing to me. 🤦‍♂️

I paid for insurance. For some reason, some of the drivers will just set things on the ground instead of putting them by the front door, which only requires opening and then closing a waist-high wood gate.
A few of these and you will gain a reputation where no one will bother your packages. 😂

SWFA 3-9x42 HD has treated me very well. I own a couple of them. Just sending another Leupold back in for repair today. Thats 3 out of 4 Leupys that have failed to hold zero in the last few years. YMMV.

FYI - that scope I got from Schmalts turned me into a 1.5" group shooter 200 yards. Today's coating technologies are flat amazing. Have to figure out what to put on my Savage 99 to replace the old 4X Weaver with a chipped lens....

Leupolds are hard to beat! I am not a user of them though, I don't care to spend a bunch on scopes. My 25-06 has a very old Bushnell banner on it that I wouldn't hesitate to use. I have several newer Redfield/Leupolds and like them very well. Recently got a Vortex 3-9x for a 243 and really like it. I don't believe you need to spend $600 to get a good scope, I simply believe that is a head game to many people like to play.

Like the way you have you 30-06 zeroed in. I too use MPBR to zero every thing in. Sound like your about 3" high at 100yds and shoot a max 4" high at mid range. All my rifles come out about 270yds also! Right at 4" low around MPBR! If I were to shoot at a game animal at 400yds, I won't, I'd get something like the Redfield or the Vortex 3-9x. Thing I really like about them is they both have finger turret's for adjusting the scope. I could figure out a trajectory well past 300 yds and simply dial it in in the field. Both of those scopes come in under $200!
The only drawback is forgetting to hold lower at shorter distances.

It's been up to the delivery driver many times. Insurance does help get them to do a better job but in the end the driver isn't the one paying the loss if it goes missing. Hard to find good help these days. I would call and file a complaint, that is just lazy
The next time someone is expecting an expensive delivery I would suggest that they contact the local office and request that the driver get a signature. Also if they have one make sure a security camera can catch the driver delivering the package.

In Africa I shot my PH's SWFA "55 HD" 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm. That made long distance shooting easy! He had it mounted on a 270 WSM CZ with suppressor and the sweetest trigger I've ever touched. It is his personal gun and I am honored he let me shoot with it. That scope is fantastic although a bit difficult to find the target and keep it when cranked to 20x (which really isn't necessary in most situations). Not sure I would drop $1300 on a scope even if it is superb (and it is) but for what he does for a living, I can understand paying that much. The calibre was a bit light for what we were doing. A couple of no exits and wind played with it. He's going to switch from Game Kings to bonded Barnes. Getting an exit wound is important if no snow for tracking something wounded.

The same thing with clicks and forgetting to turn back to the original setting.
I'd be one of those guy's I think. amazing the things I forget this time in my life. Taped a drop chart on a rifle stock to fool around with long range shooting and darned if it didn't work really well. But I don't pretend I have the skills for shooting that way at game. Big problem would probably be having adjusted the clicks for something and forgetting I did it then trying to remember when I did it. Just had a terrible time trying for figure wind drift also. Read to set the dial for distance to half the distance and I could see the wind in the atmosphere. Might work real well But I couldn't figure it out. Good long range shooting is a skill I never acquired.

Speakin a brain farts, last fall I put a new scope on a rifle and set it 90 degrees off such that the windage dial was the elevation and sighted it in. This past Winter or Spring I discovered my boo boo and fixed it. When I went to the range I couldn't hit paper and after a couple shots it occurred to me why so I moved the target up and re-sighted.

Speakin a brain farts, last fall I put a new scope on a rifle and set it 90 degrees off such that the windage dial was the elevation and sighted it in. This past Winter or Spring I discovered my boo boo and fixed it. When I went to the range I couldn't hit paper and after a couple shots it occurred to me why so I moved the target up and re-sighted.
It does happen! :)

Back