Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Scope decision

I paid for insurance. For some reason, some of the drivers will just set things on the ground instead of putting them by the front door, which only requires opening and then closing a waist-high wood gate.
Heck, I had a Weatherby rifle left on the front porch last week when I was on the way home from Alaska. Adult signature required.
Guess I could have told FedEx I never got it.

I would just add that anybody ordering anything that’s being shipped FedEx that you can’t afford to just write off, request insurance and signature verification.

I recently ordered an expensive (for me) pair of binoculars that was shipped FedEx. I was home the day they were supposedly delivered, nothing showed up. Our doorbell camera logged no video of anybody pressing our door bell or delivering a package. Shipper had insured the package, I filed a claim, he filed a claim, all shut down by FedEx stating that they delivered the package. Nothing more proven then a customer service rep saying “nope, we delivered it.”

If signature verification had been requested I wouldn’t be in a spot where $500 disappeared into thin air.

Buyer beware in all things.

I would just add that anybody ordering anything that’s being shipped FedEx that you can’t afford to just write off, request insurance and signature verification.

I recently ordered an expensive (for me) pair of binoculars that was shipped FedEx. I was home the day they were supposedly delivered, nothing showed up. Our doorbell camera logged no video of anybody pressing our door bell or delivering a package. Shipper had insured the package, I filed a claim, he filed a claim, all shut down by FedEx stating that they delivered the package. Nothing more proven then a customer service rep saying “nope, we delivered it.”

If signature verification had been requested I wouldn’t be in a spot where $500 disappeared into thin air.

Wow, I’m sorry to hear of your loss. That really stinks. I’ve never had an issue with bad deliveries or not getting something. Guess I’m due unfortunately. But I will say that here where I live, most folks know the drivers for all the carriers by name and they know their customers. I’m guessing that helps a lot. Hope this issues gets resolved for you.

Wow, I’m sorry to hear of your loss. That really stinks. I’ve never had an issue with bad deliveries or not getting something. Guess I’m due unfortunately. But I will say that here where I live, most folks know the drivers for all the carriers by name and they know their customers. I’m guessing that helps a lot. Hope this issues gets resolved for you.

Unfortunately, the situation is resolved as it’s going to get. Both FedEx and the shipper have thrown up their hands and said “nothing more to be done.” Shipper offered to sell me another pair, but I’m not one to take a second bite of a chit sandwich.

Next time I’ll just skip the whole circle jerk and pay the extra to buy in person - or know enough to request signature verification.

What bullet? mtmuley
PH told me the weight but I have forgotten. I'll drop him an email. 150 seems to ring a bell. This is the bullet pulled from kudu. We weren't getting exit wounds which was a concern. The kudu didn't leave any blood for tracking but our spotters on other ridges watched it lay down several times till I caught up with it. PH says he may try bonded solids.
20210831_022137.jpg

Last edited:
PH told me the weight but I have forgotten. I'll drop him an email. 150 seems to ring a bell. This is the bullet pulled from kudu. We weren't getting exit wounds which was a concern. The kudu didn't leave any blood for tracking but our spotters on other ridges watched it lay down several times till I caught up with it. PH says he may try bonded solids.
View attachment 192928
Amazing what a stout bullet will do. The Hammer guys just took all the critters you mentioned plus zebra and some others. They used a .270 Sherman, 6mm Creed, .30-30 Winchester and a .17 Hornet. mtmuley

I literally had to drive my neighborhood the other weekend and track down the FedEX driver. I received an alert on my phone that the driver “attempted” delivery and nobody was home which I was home. I jumped in my truck and finally found him. Asked for my package and he gave me attitude and then stated he rang the doorbell twice and knocked. Funny thing is I’m remodeling and the doorbell is covered and taped off so he couldn’t have even pressed it.
I did get the package though.

There are many good quality scopes to be had for your stated budget of $600.
All will be a major step up from your Simmons.
I would agree with contacting Schmalts also!

As for scopes, Leupold is hard to beat! Quality stuff!
If your not a Leupold fan, there are others, but again it's hard not to like the Leupold.

Your budget puts you in the Vortex Viper range. Good scopes also, but i think they "flare out" too easily.

I've been looking through some Crimson Trace scopes lately. Their Hardline Pro is within your budget. Really good glass, with options that i actually want.

Good luck, and post up what you chose!
HI bought the Crimson Trace series 5 CTL-5318 and really like it. Not sure the hardline pro has the same glass as the series 5 which was made in Japan. The turrets don’t seem to be as good either. Luepolds are hard to beat. I have a 3x9 old vx2 used for 18 years now and It tracks perfectly and has never lost zero. The glass is clear and the scope is bomb proof.

Last edited:
HI bought the Crimson Trace series 5 CTL-5318 and really like it. Not sure the hardline pro has the same glass as the series 5 which was made in Japan. The turrets don’t seem to be as good either. Luepolds are hard to beat. I have a 3x9 old vx2 used for 18 years now and It tracks perfectly and has never lost zero. The glass is clear and the scope is bomb proof.
I picked up one of the last (maybe THE last) Crimson Trace Series 2 from Midway.
Mounted it on my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.
Makes it somewhat top heavy.
I really need to get out & shoot the thing!
Still healing up after Carpal Tunnel surgery in both wrists.

I'm looking at a Meopta or Leupold scope but having never seen the Meopta I hate to make another mistake as I did with the Ares 4.5-27x50 I bought not ever seeing that either.
3-15 or 4-18x44 or 50 would be nice SFP perferred
Help an old guy old, which way to go
Hhardrock

I'm looking at a Meopta or Leupold scope but having never seen the Meopta I hate to make another mistake as I did with the Ares 4.5-27x50 I bought not ever seeing that either.
3-15 or 4-18x44 or 50 would be nice SFP perferred
Help an old guy old, which way to go
Hhardrock
Only experience I have with those you’ve listed is the Leupold VX5 HD in 3-15X44. I love it and got a great deal from @schmalts. Don’t see how you can go wrong with this optic.

Only experience I have with those you’ve listed is the Leupold VX5 HD in 3-15X44. I love it and got a great deal from @schmalts. Don’t see how you can go wrong with this optic.
Thanks EKY, I was thinking I would stay with a product I'm comfortable with but I wouldn't mind something else if I knew it would work as well

Thanks EKY, I was thinking I would stay with a product I'm comfortable with but I wouldn't mind something else if I knew it would work as well
I understand. I hear great things about Meopta but have never actually handled one. Good luck and enjoy the search.

^^^This! Agree completely regarding the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 44 (mine is the 172368 Firedot which is nice) from @schmalts. Have no experience with the Meopta. Good luck!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back