MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

School me on gps collars

pawhitetail

I was wondering if someone here can give me some advice on gps collars. I'm basically looking for some just as insurance for if my pup gets out of sight or wanders off. When I had my English pointer there was times I wish I had gps because she had a set of legs under her. Does any of the Garmin units take onx chips? Would it be useable as a standalone gps unit when not running dogs? Which units should I be looking at? Thanks

My only experience is with the Garmin Alpha TT10.

Yes, it takes an OnX chip. It would be relatively useful as a standalone GPS, but certainly not as user friendly and streamlined as a true standalone.

Compare prices, but I would recommend a dedicated e-collar to use for training, and a GPS collar (I think its the Astro and equivalents) to put on when you need the GSP locating function.

I use the alpha 100 and tt15 minis on my beagle and absolutely love it. I agree that it isn't the best option for a standalone gps but I just use onyx on my phone when that is needed. As far as tracking the dog and the training options its great.

In addition to always knowing where he is I can see what has been hunted and what hasn't. I also trained him that the tone function means come find me. I can call him in from 200 yards away.

I can have a hard time tracking my labs when in thick grouse woods - no big deal they are reliable and relative close hunting, but I still like to know where they are - grouse flushes happen in a blink. When I needed new e-collars I upgraded to the Garmen 550 pro plus. It gives you direction and distance for each of the dogs - at lower cost, longer battery life and no need deal with bigger gps screen - which I didn't need. YMMV.

I use the alpha 100 and tt15 minis on my beagle and absolutely love it. I agree that it isn't the best option for a standalone gps but I just use onyx on my phone when that is needed. As far as tracking the dog and the training options its great.

In addition to always knowing where he is I can see what has been hunted and what hasn't. I also trained him that the tone function means come find me. I can call him in from 200 yards away.
How well does the onx work on your phone? What if you have no cell service?

I've been looking at buying a standalone gps but I really may only use it one week a year. Maybe just onx on the phone would be a better option?
I don't even use the GPS function of the Alpha (other than dog location) anymore. I use OnX for trails, boundaries, waypoints, etc. It's much easier.

I've been looking at buying a standalone gps but I really may only use it one week a year. Maybe just onx on the phone would be a better option?
Unless you in a life and death situation (like alaska fly-in) and need a backup, really no reason for a standalone gps anymore - way faster and better screen on the phone.

I run an Astro 320 which is getting pretty dated. It accepts a chip. I'll continue run it until it won't run. It has been a great unit.

I prefer to have a separate unit for the e-collar and gps. YMMV

Last edited:
I can have a hard time tracking my labs when in thick grouse woods - no big deal they are reliable and relative close hunting, but I still like to know where they are - grouse flushes happen in a blink. When I needed new e-collars I upgraded to the Garmen 550 pro plus. It gives you direction and distance for each of the dogs - at lower cost, longer battery life and no need deal with bigger gps screen - which I didn't need. YMMV.
That's the one I'm looking at

I have had every incarnation of Garmin trackers since day one, same with collars.
Right now it alpha 200i with TT15 regular and minis depending on which hounds I am running.

I have the garmin alpha 100 with three tt15s and one tt10. I have an onx landowner chip for idaho as well. I use them for hounds and Brittany's. I used an astro 320 until I had an issue that forced an upgrade. I will continue with my alpha until I have to upgrade.

Garmin is the standard for dog tracking. It is peace of mind for bird dogs (or trail dogs or whatever) and a must have for big game hounds.

If anyone knows of any good used units let me know. I am in the market

Check e bay. I bought a DC 40 collar there a number of years ago. Between those wanting to upgrade and those just getting out,,there will be something out there.

I have two Astro I used on my hounds, before one hound died. They work great and save a lot of problems. I run a onX chip in the gps, which I use for showing landowners, topography, roads. I use it for big game hunting. It can track hounds for 4-5 miles, but they can get out of signal.
I can’t believe as a kid how much time we wasted trying to locate hounds that got out of hearing from us. We would turn them loose Friday night and it would be Sunday afternoon before we found them again. It can save a lot of problems with dogs running off-game too.

I have coonhounds. I always run a alpha 100 with TT15. It has tracking and training capabilities as well as lights on the collar that you can control from the handheld. I run a T5 when hunting competition hunts because you can’t have a collar that can have correction capabilities. They have the new alpha 200i in the handhelds. I don’t know much about that handheld other than it has inreach capabilities along with 2 way messaging. I hunt in East TN mostly so you can loose signal to the collar when dogs get several ridges away, but you pick it back up when you get to the top of another ridge. When I’ve hunted places like Ohio, Indiana. Illinois, Alabama, places in the Carolinas, or Arkansas I’ve never had any issues with loosing signal due to the flatness of the terrain.

I have had every incarnation of Garmin trackers since day one, same with collars.
Right now it alpha 200i with TT15 regular and minis depending on which hounds I am running.
Have you noticed a big difference between the 100 and the 200i? I’ve been contemplating getting rid of the 100 and replacing it with the 200i just for the messaging capabilities. I know you have to have the subscription service for that, but I would have something to communicate back home when in an area with no service.

Have you noticed a big difference between the 100 and the 200i? I’ve been contemplating getting rid of the 100 and replacing it with the 200i just for the messaging capabilities. I know you have to have the subscription service for that, but I would have something to communicate back home when in an area with no service.
Several differences. Only you can decide if it's worth the cost difference and the depreciation.

The screen interface is better. Bigger and easier to see during the day. The side buttons are nice when you have gloves on dont want to pull them to use the touch screen.
I already had a yearly inreach account so adding it to was a no brainer. I was guilty many times of not taking my inreach when I ran hounds, however I am never without my tracking unit. This solved my laziness. It's really nice to have eveyone elses location, assuming they have 200s also ...helps when we are trying to move in on a Yote or hare in now swamped in running tight circles. Adds a bit of safety. Maps via wifi is plus too. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back