Scary Hunting Stories

Part 4: So after we get the first trap set we are about to leave and we notice something black walking towards us down to the creek. It is a GREAT water buffalo bull. We let him come a little closer and then he finally sees/winds us and away he goes. I ask "what are the odds that he will be back tomoz when we check the trap?" "Not a chance" was the reply. More on this later.

We get back to the station that evening and head out for some sight seeing and view even more buffalo bulls, pigs (which we shot for more bait), and other signs of crocs nearby.

This bull would have easily charged us if we got out of the samurai and put a 375 H&H round into him. He definitely has a look like "you owe him money".
View attachment 79367

Well? What's the rest of the story?!

I have never had many scary stories, until two weeks ago. I was working in Douglas, WY and wanted to coon hunt with my two hounds along a walk-in near Glenrock, WY. I have hunted this spot before, but my two hounds have never treed there but have trailed several than ran into dens previously. It was a new moon night and completely dark and we hunted across a open field towards the river, which I thought was frozen solid. I should have never hunted this area with the frozen river, just like hound hunting in areas with wolves, its a bad idea. My dogs hit a track and chased the track for maybe 5 minutes and all went silent. I looked at my GPS and I see my younger Leopard Hound is not moving and he is in the middle of the river. I go running out the rivers edge and shine my spotlight across the river and see my Leopard Hound (Henry) thrashing in the river. He had fell through the ice. I scan my light to the south and my other Walker hound (Sky) was also in the river and about ready to give up. They were trying to pull themselves onto the ice, but couldn't get their backends up onto the ice shelf.
I had a deep sense of panic and I prayed to the Lord to save my hounds, and let them get out of there. I tried coaching/encouraging them but they had given up and were just resting on the ice shelf. I called to Henry to come down to Sky and he quickly swam down to Sky, so they were both together. I made a quick prayer and said Lord save us and went out about 40 yards onto the North Platte river and grabbed Sky and Henry by the collars and pulled them out. The ice felt thick, but it was completely open river channel where they jumped into the river.
Once back to the rivers edge I leashed up the dogs and made the mile walk back to the truck. I could tell they were both shaken by the incident. That night while sleeping I had a thought that ice would not never hold me again, but it was angels supporting the ice, to allow me to get the dogs out of the river.
Lessons learned is don't hunt dogs near frozen waterbodies, and put your trust in Jesus because our days are numbered. January 12th, 2018 was not my night to die, but the death rate is 100%. And I'm super thankful to see my wife/kids again and be able to walk to earth for another day. It was a very stupid decision on my part and could have cost me my life or my dogs lives. Be safe.

Does anyone have any scary hunting stories to share?

The only time I have ever truly felt scared while hunting was during my croc hunt in Australia. No other time have I felt scared due to animals while hunting, but that time was a bit different. I will round up all of the photos for an official write up and post when I can. Still trying to convince my wife that I don't have a girlfriend and all I am doing is posting to Hunttalk :)

Let's hear those stories!!

When did you hunt crocs in aus? They've been protected in aus for quite some time and the attempt hunters put in to open up trophy hunting was knocked back early last year.

The closest I'm aware of is if control permits are issued they can be shot but that has to be by a registered agent and it can't be delegated to anyone else. I know that part because my mate who lives in nt just did one of those and he could legally only observe.

When did you hunt crocs in aus? They've been protected in aus for quite some time and the attempt hunters put in to open up trophy hunting was knocked back early last year.

The closest I'm aware of is if control permits are issued they can be shot but that has to be by a registered agent and it can't be delegated to anyone else. I know that part because my mate who lives in nt just did one of those and he could legally only observe.

That is exactly what I did too. I just call it my "croc hunt" because that was the only way to take them legally.

That is exactly what I did too. I just call it my "croc hunt" because that was the only way to take them legally.

Im damned sorry for that then mate, I was hoping you were one of the old guys who got to shoot one back in the day.

We've got more crocs now than we ever had before commercial hunting days yet we can't hunt them, bloody joke.

Deer scouting in northern Az.Stopped halfway up in Prescott and it was cold!
Stopped at gas station to gas up,use the facilities.Toilet was frozen solid,left a lincoln log on top of the ice.
had to take a picture and show my brothers.We should have turned around and headed home right then.
arrived at camp and everything was frozen solid,wood steams,lakes.That night it was so cold when I went to exit my tent the
plastic zipper shattered in my hand.Everyone slept in the trucks.Next morning opened the coolers for breakfast,everything in the
coolers was frozen solid.Milk,eggs,sodas,and all the beer!now we are heading home.On the way out driving on a frozen single lane dirt track
my truck started to slide right toward a tree.we did a complete 360' just missed the tree and slid right back facing forward still moving right along.After I stopped shaking I vowed never to return to Bill Williams Mtn.,and never have.

Just recent. This last late October hunt along The Bob boundry line. Solo, return to camp steep downhill burn slick mud / melted snow... About 12 - 1 am, pitch black with a fading headlamp and hearing what I know of three wolves doing quick simple barks I believe in a means to triangulate their position and only occasionally... Left my handgun and bear oc at camp.
I've observed wolves, heard stories, listened, etc... Though this was the first time I reached the point where the "fear" transitioned to planned defense for the remainder of my trek back to camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back