Caribou Gear Tarp

SB 312 - eliminating outfitter set asides.

Montanans would call that robbery
If my res WY tag cost that i would be not happy. Were at $57 with no hunting license, cows $43

And...our tags are good for about 6 weeks typically, not 5 days!

Last edited:
It reduces the opportunity for outfitters but increases opportunity for DIY resident and nonresident hunters. Being a NM resident who despises the outfitter industry here in NM, I am standing and applauding. This gives a bigger draw pool to both nonresidents and residents and takes away some of the special treatment the outfitters have been getting.
As I said before, I agree with eliminating outfitter set asides. Please stop trying to convince me 10 is more than 16.

Only if the 10%+ that were applying in the NR Guided don't switch over. If (when) they do, then it will be a negative for the DIY NR.
I do agree with you there. Hard to predict how many are only applying in the outfitter pool for the better odds that would just apply for the general NR pool if this passes.

I do agree with you there. Hard to predict how many are only applying in the outfitter pool for the better odds that would just apply for the general NR pool if this passes.
I think that number would surprise you. Especially with the "semi-guided" stuff that goes on. I think it would be close to 90% of the folks applying in the Outfitter pool dropping down into the new 10% total NR pool and odds will go down.

I don't agree with the Outfitter set aside pool but I have been applying in it for BHS and Oryx for the better odds. Still haven't drawn though!

I think that number would surprise you. Especially with the "semi-guided" stuff that goes on. I think it would be close to 90% of the folks applying in the Outfitter pool dropping down into the new 10% total NR pool and odds will go down.

I don't agree with the Outfitter set aside pool but I have been applying in it for BHS and Oryx for the better odds. Still haven't drawn though!
So while context and Webster's gives me some idea, what specifically is "semi-guided" hunting?

does anyone know what’s happening with this bill?
Just did a quick goggle search & can't find currant status. Heard a news blurb last night about another "NM resident right to hunt & fish" bill & it and another bill being tabled.....no mention of other bill #.
Further research needed.

So while context and Webster's gives me some idea, what specifically is "semi-guided" hunting?
Some of the NM outfitters offer a supported drop camp situation where they point you in the "right direction" in the morning. Depending on the price they also help with pack out. They can manage more clients at a time this way, and the clients get some support without spending the same as they would on a fully guided experience. I think for a beginner with some skills and a bunch of questions, these kind of setups are attractive.

When it first passed there were outfitters that met up with the hunter not even in the unit they were hunting and gave them some "here's a good spot to hunt" type stuff and charged $1,000 or something like that to use their outfitter number to apply in the outfitter pool.

They cracked down on that and now they have to have a guide spend 2 days out of the 5 day season with the hunter. So they increased the price a bit but it is still not really guiding at all. Here is an example from an outfitters website.

This will allow for an elk hunter using our outfitter number to apply for the 10% of the outfitters draw pool. We will provide you with the outfitter number for the draw and a guide for 2 days. The ratio of guide to hunters will be 1 guide per the number of clients on the application. The guiding will occur on the same 2 days for everyone on the application. As per regulations, we must contract which 2 days of your hunt that you desire to be guided. Nothing will be furnished for your hunt except for the use of the outfitter number and a guide for 2 days. This hunt must be in an area where the guide can drive to camp.

Essentially a way for the outfitter to make $ for the use of their outfitter number to get the better odds.

When it first passed there were outfitters that met up with the hunter not even in the unit they were hunting and gave them some "here's a good spot to hunt" type stuff and charged $1,000 or something like that to use their outfitter number to apply in the outfitter pool.

They cracked down on that and now they have to have a guide spend 2 days out of the 5 day season with the hunter. So they increased the price a bit but it is still not really guiding at all. Here is an example from an outfitters website.

Essentially a way for the outfitter to make $ for the use of their outfitter number to get the better odds.
Thanks. I want the "quarter-guided" hunt option. I want NO tag allocation preference. I want NO person following me around on my hunt. I want NO gear, lodging or food. I will pay a reasonable (or maybe not so reasonable) trespass fee without having to cold call the entire county. I want to be able to pitch my tent in a reasonably sheltered spot without having to race 20 other guys to the trailhead. I will accept an hour of a local's time giving me a general lay of the land at base camp. And in doing so, I will overpay and reduce pressure on public lands for those who won't/can't do the same.

In short, I want a little bit of predictability of access but want no other benefit. But I must be the only one, because this option seems hard to find.

Thanks. I want the "quarter-guided" hunt option. I want NO tag allocation preference. I want NO person following me around on my hunt. I want NO gear, lodging or food. I will pay a reasonable (or maybe not so reasonable) trespass fee without having to cold call the entire county. I want to be able to pitch my tent in a reasonably sheltered spot without having to race 20 other guys to the trailhead. I will accept an hour of a local's time giving me a general lay of the land at base camp. And in doing so, I will overpay and reduce pressure on public lands for those who won't/can't do the same.

In short, I want a little bit of predictability of access but want no other benefit. But I must be the only one, because this option seems hard to find.
The current landowner tags offer pretty much all of that except the reasonable fee part. And the no tag allocation preference unless you don't consider a $5,000+ check to be a preference.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back