Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SB 298 - Crossbow bill rears its ugly head

I don’t personally want any special provisions for crossbows, but one has to admire Molnar’s tenacity and dedication to the issue.

The crazy thing about this is he has packaged it with so much other stuff that it’s a prayer he gets it in on the backside of all the other shit in that joke of a document.

I don't think I saw it mentioned in the Bill, but if the proposal is due to unable to physically draw and hold a bow, then I think the Bill should have it written in to require use of only crossbows with permanently attached mechanical cocking devices.

I don't think I saw it mentioned in the Bill, but if the proposal is due to unable to physically draw and hold a bow, then I think the Bill should have it written in to require use of only crossbows with permanently attached mechanical cocking devices.
I didn’t notice but I’d assume it would be like the draw lock he could currently hunt with. You know the one that Montana bow hunters association bought to put on that brand new Mathews they also bought him. Where you have to have another person with you to be able to legally hunt

Crossbows and lighted nocks. :oops:
Oh, he horror! Crossbows have been legal in Wyoming for 40 years, just Look what has happened to their elk herd.:sneaky:
If you don’t think cross bows have an affect on WY you are sadly mistaken. Only reason why WY can allow it is because the population is so low. This fall in WY nearly 2/3 of the others hunters I saw in the archery were packing crossbows, and the ones I spoke with had no interest in more traditional bows…

If you don’t think cross bows have an affect on WY you are sadly mistaken. Only reason why WY can allow it is because the population is so low. This fall in WY nearly 2/3 of the others hunters I saw in the archery were packing crossbows, and the ones I spoke with had no interest in more traditional bows…
Other than annoying you, what is the affect they are having on Wyoming?

NR elk tag numbers have a pretty strict cap.

Herd numbers are strong.

Bull quality seems ok.

You shoot a longbow or recurve?

Hard to justify a special season for primitive weapons hunting anymore. Think that was the original rationale for those seasons in most states. Fred Bear was instrumental in our state

You shoot a longbow or recurve?
Both depending on when I am hunting. But on none of my bows do I have a scope and the ability for a 12 year old to shoot 80 yards…

But even the almighty Buzz knows there is a marked difference between shooting a verticals bow and a crossbow…

Other than annoying you, what is the affect they are having on Wyoming?

NR elk tag numbers have a pretty strict cap.

Herd numbers are strong.

Bull quality seems ok.
There is increased pressure, which leads to more harboring of elk early. There is a signifcqnt
Increase in people who
Are out during what should be primitive
Seasons designed to honor those who are willing to shoot more, practice more and and accept what is supposed to be a much lower success rate.

None of that happen. I can take a 12 year old kid who has never shot before and have him lethal to 80 yards in an hour with a cross bow.

Hell while we are at it might as well allow a 30/30, and other fire arms as the effective ranges are similar…

"Deja Vu all over again!" Yogi Berra
It seems as this issue is raised time and again, it's mostly NRs chiming in to try to persuade Montana to be just like their state. Crossbows and other non-primitive weapons during what was established as a primitive weapons season will attract hordes more to public land trailheads and elk rutting areas. I guess then the NRs will feel like hunting Montana is just like being home to hunt their home state crowded lands. Archery season has become way too crowded already. Crossbow hunters will really ramp it up and adversely impact all aspects of the season.

If I’m reading this monster of a bill right, the crossbow portion of this bill would be crossbows for those who are disabled.

If it were just that, I’m not sure it’s a hill I’d die on in opposition.

I understand the slippery slope arguments and giving crossbows a “foot in the door” and what it could mean, but as I look across the room at the bow I purchased a couple years ago, with its pulleys and cams and technology, I wonder if that foot has been in the door a long damn time

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back