SB 111 Crossbows out of Committee

SB 111 is heading to the House Human Services committee on Thursday. This is likely the best chance to get this bill killed. Please contact the committee members and ask them to vote no. Here are the committee members:

Dennis Lenz [email protected] (406) 671-7052
Lola Sheldon-Galloway [email protected] (406) 750-4721
Jessica Karjala [email protected] (406) 672-8681
Kim Abbott [email protected] (406) 439-8721
Alice Buckley [email protected] (406) 404-0891
Ed Buttrey [email protected] (406) 452-6460
Jennifer Carlson [email protected] (406) 579-2929
Mary Ann Dunwell [email protected] (406) 461-5358
Gregory Frazer [email protected] (406) 560-4707
Jane Gillette [email protected] (406) 444-4800
Sharon Greef (406) 370-0580
Ed Hill [email protected] (406) 390-1098
Caleb Hinkle [email protected]
Kathy Kelker [email protected] (406) 652-6716
Amy Regier [email protected] (406) 253-8421
Ed Stafman [email protected] (406) 640-3362
Mallerie Stromswold [email protected] (406) 670-0698
Danny Tenenbaum [email protected] (406) 285-1460
Tom Welch [email protected] (406) 683-4811

I think the “hunting a different Montana” is some thing people need to experience.

As I wrote in my what worked for 2020, I broke out and hunted a ton of Southwest and western Montana that I had never hunted before. It fortified my belief that there are large swaths of beautiful country in Montana that are largely void of game. People need to go out and find these places because it is quite unsettling to see with three weeks of snow on the ground.

The old analogy that you can out pump your well fits. It fits for Montana as a whole, and it fits because there’s a lot of aquifers that are already dry here.

I am opposed to a muzzleloader season that would serve as an additional week of firearm hunting.
I agree with your assessment. I still think there is a place for both, but it would require structuring the season differently. An example could be:

4 weeks archery
1 week crossbow
2 week rifle
1 week muzzleloader

The above example cuts down the hunting season from 11 weeks to 8. Correct me if I’m wrong but if the majority of animals are harvested with rifle, the logical solution is to shorten rifle season to allow for the use of crossbows during archery season and a primitive weapons season.

The line in the sand approach seems a sure fire way to keep our 11 week hunting season to keep hammering game AND eventually these will probably pass. Compromise could be a good way forward to solve two problems at once.

I never understood how crossbows got classified as archery or why it needed its own season. Same can be said for muzzle loaders, it's a rifle and already has a season. I will soon be a Montana resident and plan to hunt with a rifle, pistol, smoke stick and my bow. Montana seems to have plenty of access to hunting for those with disabilities.
Shooting a shouldered weapon with a scope and trigger during archery season just sounds odd.
If all it takes to qualify something to be classified as archery is that it shoots a arrow/bolt with feathers or vanes why shouldn't Montana include these new air guns that shoot arrows in the list of legal archery hunting weapons?
Maybe crossbows should be classified as a gateway drug/weapon.
If it's going to be allowed it shouldn't get its own season.
If it is allowed it will open the doors for other arrow slinging weapons.
Now that I have opened my mouth I am going to look up
SB 111 and read it. I didn't know it existed. My foot fits in my mouth and I am used to pulling it out.
Thanks

Reactions: JMG
If you look at the history of states that allowed crossbows for people with doctors notes you might be a little more concerned about it. Most of them got rid of the medical requirement within several years. There’s going to be a lot more elk getting killed during archery season when we allow everyone to use a crossbow. You know MOGA will be pushing for it because it will be good for their business.

Both bills are slippery slopes if passed.
Indiana started allowing crossbows for everyone recently. They quickly found out that overall harvest wasn't affected very much but the harvest shifted to more in archery and less in gun season.

If you look at the history of states that allowed crossbows for people with doctors notes you might be a little more concerned about it. Most of them got rid of the medical requirement within several years. There’s going to be a lot more elk getting killed during archery season when we allow everyone to use a crossbow. You know MOGA will be pushing for it because it will be good for their business.

Both bills are slippery slopes if passed.
I agree. Seems every handicapped person wants to climb Mt Everest. So someone needs to put in an elevator? A lot of us older guys have arthritis issues that prevent us from engaging in bow hunting. So be it. We had our time in the saddle. Anyway, anyone who can shoulder a crossbow can certainly shoulder a rifle so hunting is not out of the question. Being able to jump the gun (pun intended) on rifle season without all the physical effort and practice necessary for traditional bow hunting is what the proponents are really after. I don't agree with further dumbing down hunting.

I never understood how crossbows got classified as archery or why it needed its own season. Same can be said for muzzle loaders, it's a rifle and already has a season. I will soon be a Montana resident and plan to hunt with a rifle, pistol, smoke stick and my bow. Montana seems to have plenty of access to hunting for those with disabilities.
Shooting a shouldered weapon with a scope and trigger during archery season just sounds odd.
If all it takes to qualify something to be classified as archery is that it shoots a arrow/bolt with feathers or vanes why shouldn't Montana include these new air guns that shoot arrows in the list of legal archery hunting weapons?
Maybe crossbows should be classified as a gateway drug/weapon.
If it's going to be allowed it shouldn't get its own season.
If it is allowed it will open the doors for other arrow slinging weapons.
Now that I have opened my mouth I am going to look up
SB 111 and read it. I didn't know it existed. My foot fits in my mouth and I am used to pulling it out.
Thanks
I wonder if the original guys that got the archery seasons established, who shot exclusively longbows and recurves, ever wondered how a compound bow got classified as archery?

I don't see many compound shooters these days who don't also use a trigger release.

Seems to me that perhaps it's the modern compound bow that has blurred the line to the point that crossbows really aren't all that different as some make them out to be.

I agree. Seems every handicapped person wants to climb Mt Everest. So someone needs to put in an elevator? A lot of us older guys have arthritis issues that prevent us from engaging in bow hunting. So be it. We had our time in the saddle. Anyway, anyone who can shoulder a crossbow can certainly shoulder a rifle so hunting is not out of the question. Being able to jump the gun (pun intended) on rifle season without all the physical effort and practice necessary for traditional bow hunting is what the proponents are really after. I don't agree with further dumbing down hunting.
Did you oppose compounds? They weren't traditional at all at the time.

Or is your argument that the technology in compounds hasn't dumbed down archery hunting?

Indiana started allowing crossbows for everyone recently. They quickly found out that overall harvest wasn't affected very much but the harvest shifted to more in archery and less in gun season.
Maybe that isn't a bad thing either as it spreads people out more. Those killing a deer with a crossbow, traditional, or compounds aren't out there during rifle season.

I wonder if the original guys that got the archery seasons established, who shot exclusively longbows and recurves, ever wondered how a compound bow got classified as archery?

I don't see many compound shooters these days who don't also use a trigger release.

Seems to me that perhaps it's the modern compound bow that has blurred the line to the point that crossbows really aren't all that different as some make them out to be.

I know me expanding on this is a good way for a thread to get derailed, but I very much agree. I have long thought that the difference in terms of difficulty, between success with a compound vs success with a recurve, is greater and more meaningful than the difference between success with a rifle vs with a compound. Getting from 40 yards to 15 is something that has a sort of exponential increase in difficulty with every yard.

All that said, I hunt with a compound, so I am not holier than thou. I would love for Montana to make a district or two primitive archery districts, and I don't think this bill is wise.

The worst part of the bill is it removes the requirement for hunters that use the Permit to Hunt From a Vehicle to have a companion. In my opinion, if you're truly disabled then you should have someone there to assist you. Seems like the bill was wrote with the intent of being abused. See picture below.
Molnar.jpg

Did you oppose compounds? They weren't traditional at all at the time.

Or is your argument that the technology in compounds hasn't dumbed down archery hunting?
At the time I could certainly predict what would happen. Because of ease of operation there was an exponential increase in bow hunting after compounds came along which certainly impacted the rifle season. Game was a lot more riled up. Also because bow hunting became physically easier there was an exponential increase in bow hunters who could not or would not take the time to become proficient. By and large, traditional bow hunters had the time to devote to a lot of practice and were physically conditioned to deal with the demands of the recurve. Mind you, probably most compound users today are equally in tune (practice is cheap compared to rifle) but there are a lot of folks slinging bows who don't put the time in. Lazy/flabby people don't mix well with heavy draw weight so they usually stayed out of the bow hunting game when recurves were the only bow in the game.

I would prefer that hunters be compelled to choose tags based on weapon type and only one weapon type per season. Stop the double and triple dipping which is two and three times the pressure on resource ... and other hunters. Give the game and the hunters a break. My opinion only.

I know a couple old-timers in MT that fought tooth and nail against the archery season. They didn't see any reason why a select group of hunters should get to hunt elk in the best time of the year based on a self-imposed "handicap." Hunting season is hunting season. Archery hunters have been whining for their own season forever, yet bemone others for doing the same. The only thing lower than a self-righteous bowhunter is a fly fisherman.

Maybe that isn't a bad thing either as it spreads people out more. Those killing a deer with a crossbow, traditional, or compounds aren't out there during rifle season.
Selfishly, it is bad if one of the reasons you started archery hunting was to get away from the crowds...lol. I see more guys with crossbows now that compounds. Out there I wouldn't think there would be too many people willing to lug a crossbow around elk hunting.

Back