Save Points or Go For It

The main reason for someone who has some decent hunting experience to get a “guide” for antelope in Wyoming is for the access to land where other hunters are limited. I would hypothesize that a great majority of guided antelope hunts take place on deeded land, or on public lands landlocked by private.

I took my daughter to WY last fall. Had never stepped foot in the state before. Had only seen antelope 1 time from the interstate in CO. We rolled into town one evening mid-season, woke up the next morning and drove out to the hunting unit. My daughter had a respectable buck on the ground within 45 minutes after daybreak on public land. Most people were hunting the roads

My point being, it’s not a super technical hunt. Several good suggestions on here about doe tags or trespass hunts, so just go hunt

I think it’s time for me to start working on my shooting and researching for the trip. I’m sure there will be more threads to come.

The wife hates the idea of me going alone cause she thinks I’ll get lost. I guess an INreach is going to be necessary to keep her happy. Other than that I’m ready to throw the 06 and sleeping pad in the truck and go!

Go for it with the points you have. Though if I were you, I’d go for muley’s as a first western experience. It’s just more of a hunt.
If you’re dead set on antelope though, just go for it and you’ll have a blast. Bet you tag out on day 1.

I think it’s time for me to start working on my shooting and researching for the trip. I’m sure there will be more threads to come.

The wife hates the idea of me going alone cause she thinks I’ll get lost. I guess an INreach is going to be necessary to keep her happy. Other than that I’m ready to throw the 06 and sleeping pad in the truck and go!
Ahh, it is kinda hard to get lost in antelope country. Find a high point and you can see your truck three miles away, if you go that far. If it is super flat you will see your truck from wherever you are standing, lol.
You shouldn't have to travel far in heavy terrain for a muley doe either. You won't have to leave the plains or foothills actually.
Now, getting through/around Chicago or St Loius you may get lost for a little bit. 😁
Tell your wife not to worry. You aren't going six miles into the high country. If you are you are hunting elk or big mule deer bucks. 🥴

Last edited:
Ahh, it is kinda hard to get lost in antelope country. Find a high point and you can see your truck three miles away, if you go that far. If it is super flat you will see your truck from wherever you are standing, lol.
You shouldn't have to travel far in heavy terrain for a muley doe either. Youvwon't have to leave the plains or foothills actually.
Now, getting through/around Chicago or St Loius you may get lost for a little bit. 😁
Tell your wife not to worry. You aren't going six miles into the high country. If you are you are hunting elk or big mule deer bucks. 🥴
How about whitetails? Are there over the counter tags? I’d love to have that as an option while I’m out there

Interesting. I’d do a solo deer hunt, but I think elk I’d want to go guided or with a friend.

I’d be happy hunting whitetail or mule deer out there. I kind of imagined saving the deer points to do a horseback guided camp some day, but maybe I should re-consider that
Don't second guess yourself. Your idea of antelope is a great idea for a first Western hunt. Use your trip to figure out the terrain and ecology out here and get familiar with WY, then you will be more confident and educated next go.
Of your options I would NOT recommend elk as a solo hunt for your first time out here.
Your plan is solid and (IMO) offer you a more enjoyable first hunt out West as a solo DIY.
That being said, if you go guided for elk those issues are somewhat less relevant.
You should not need a guide for antelope with four points unless you are from NY or something (just poking fun 😁).
Also, take what you read on sites with a grain of salt. A lot of folks say: " we did this or that a 'few' years ago". For older farts a few years ago can be fifteen years, lol. Times have changed... hunting has changed exponentially the past two-three years out here.
Tresspass fee hunts are almost non-existant nowadays and if you are lucky enough to find one, don't tell anybody! Outfitters have leased up (I am guesstimating) over 90 percent of good private ranches.
Also, I don't believe there are any zero point units any more. At least not the areas of the state I'm familiar with.

Last edited:
How about whitetails? Are there over the counter tags? I’d love to have that as an option while I’m out there
No OTC buck tags for NR here now. Not sure about WT doe for NR, you will have to look that up. A any deer tag is good for WT or MD, but they are entertaining separating them in the near future.

Last edited:
There MIGHT be a zero point unit or two available in the special next year - but it’s NOT worth the special price. IMHO

To the OP, you could have a nice hunt on 4 points and it is a great place to start your western hunting adventures. A week should be plenty of time to drive and have an enjoyable hunt. I came out green and hunted solo - no big deal. OnX and inReach and you’ll be fine. Good luck

Yes, there are a few, but Toprut is not an accurate depiction. If you go to the WG&F website it will break down the draw for you. You will see those zero point units had little or no public access or few animals due to geography/location. Some only gave 15 tags (15 tags, 15 applicants. What does that tell you?), one gave 38 tags, some were 6% draw success.
Yes, there were a few zero point units, but tags were there for a reason... no access, private land, or only a handful of tags given.

1. DIY all the way. Always more satisfying when you do the work and are successful.
2. You can analyze until your head hurts. Go with your first or second choice.
3. Go have fun! Learn & come back again.

Just another persons opinion! Hope it helped!

How are your archery skills? If you just want to try hunting them, can afford to not get one, and want to have a blast, you'll get more out of an archery trip this year and a rifle trip next year. If you're interested in that, pm me, and I can help you get started.

Fly out and rent a SUV. Carry a cooler as luggage. You’ll get cell service now and then. Nothing to worry about.

Lots of good tips in this for the OP. I started my western hunting with antelope as well. Four points is still plenty to draw some of those eastern units with decent access. It's not gonna be great, but it will be fine (I've killed several bucks on those eastern units). You'll still get lots of opportunity at good animals. Don't forget to apply for doe antelope tags as well--they're cheap and usually fairly easy to draw in units that will take 4 points for a buck tag.

Looking at your points, you might consider whether you "have enough" deer points. Most non-resident regions (if you get the general tag) only tag 3-4 points, or less.

On the elk points, you're pretty close to being able to guarantee yourself a general tag. There's a couple of headwinds working against you--(1) elk may go to 90/10 in the future, and (2) it's taking more and more points to draw a general tag. Even if it doesn't go to 90/10, I would expect someone who starts buying points today to need 8-9 points to draw a general elk tag in Wyoming. So the point here is, if you apply for an elk tag next year or the year after, it very well may be the last one you get in Wyoming for a decade. And elk is NOT the species you want to start with from a learning perspective; I would not burn my elk points without having gone on an elk hunt before, so I would think about maybe trying to do a cow elk hunt next year OR potentially using a guide when you do decide to burn those elk points--it's not just about the $700 tag or $200 worth of preference points anymore; it's about the fact that you may be a much older man before you have the opportunity again.

I’m not opposed to a doe hunt..especially in a unit with good fly fishing to make it a two for one trip
even for Doe hunts there are like 3 or 4 units left that can be drawn as 2nd choice and those are all mostly private.
as stated earlier, doing 1st pick for PP and then hoping for 2nd choice as a sure thing is no longer an option pretty much

Lots of good tips in this for the OP. I started my western hunting with antelope as well. Four points is still plenty to draw some of those eastern units with decent access. It's not gonna be great, but it will be fine (I've killed several bucks on those eastern units). You'll still get lots of opportunity at good animals. Don't forget to apply for doe antelope tags as well--they're cheap and usually fairly easy to draw in units that will take 4 points for a buck tag.

Looking at your points, you might consider whether you "have enough" deer points. Most non-resident regions (if you get the general tag) only tag 3-4 points, or less.

On the elk points, you're pretty close to being able to guarantee yourself a general tag. There's a couple of headwinds working against you--(1) elk may go to 90/10 in the future, and (2) it's taking more and more points to draw a general tag. Even if it doesn't go to 90/10, I would expect someone who starts buying points today to need 8-9 points to draw a general elk tag in Wyoming. So the point here is, if you apply for an elk tag next year or the year after, it very well may be the last one you get in Wyoming for a decade. And elk is NOT the species you want to start with from a learning perspective; I would not burn my elk points without having gone on an elk hunt before, so I would think about maybe trying to do a cow elk hunt next year OR potentially using a guide when you do decide to burn those elk points--it's not just about the $700 tag or $200 worth of preference points anymore; it's about the fact that you may be a much older man before you have the opportunity again.
Appreciate this a lot. With the potential 90/10 I’m thinking it’d be wise to start to focus on getting these Wyoming hunts in. I’d definitely like to do antelope next year and maybe use the time out there to scout some potential deer spots for the following year.

As for elk, I’d love to do an archery trip in a few years. It may be worth saving up money for a guide camp…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back