Savage 111 Stock Bolt Torque

wtrfwlhunter

This winter I was shooting my Savage .270 and the factory stock cracked. It was the original cheapo and the gun is over 10 years old so it was probably about time.

I just got a Hogue Fully Bedded stock in as a replacement. I’m searching for how much torque should be applied to the bolts that connect the stock but can’t turn anything “official” up from Savage. Old forum threads seem to recommend anywhere from 35-45 in-lbs. Can anyone confirm this or better yet point me to where I can find savage specs?

I use Hogues on two of my rifles. Here is their Savage guide.

If you are glass bedding a Hogue full bed, do not crank the screws down tight on the compound. Just bottom them out. The stock is strong enough to twist the action if things aren't a good fit. You can torque them down later after the cure.

I use Hogues on two of my rifles. Here is their Savage guide.

If you are glass bedding a Hogue full bed, do not crank the screws down tight on the compound. Just bottom them out. The stock is strong enough to twist the action if things aren't a good fit. You can torque them down later after the cure.
Much appreciated!

Is glass bedding worth the effort? I was thinking this stock will be a significant upgrade as is.

I saw this statement on benchrest.com

"action screws in a bedded benchrest hunter rifle for instance, 35 in lbs isn't enough."

I saw this statement on benchrest.com

"action screws in a bedded benchrest hunter rifle for instance, 35 in lbs isn't enough."
Interesting....

My front action screws are at 35inlb.
Depending on rifle the rear action screws are 15-25inlb.

And yeah, i shoot short range benchrest.

Alright, so I got the stock put on, all looked good until I started looking at the bolt release area and under the bolt. Under the bolt there is what to me is a significant open space. The fit along the bolt release area just seems awkward. Can anyone tell me if this is normal with a hogue stock? Pictures attached to show the space and to confirm that I did order the proper stock.

The fit seems perfect everywhere else.

Attachments

• 644149E8-10E4-44DF-AD7F-0C557676F09A.jpeg
    644149E8-10E4-44DF-AD7F-0C557676F09A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 68C98F38-B628-4FE6-8E15-5E6DA1D2C379.jpeg
    68C98F38-B628-4FE6-8E15-5E6DA1D2C379.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 5
Alright, so I got the stock put on, all looked good until I started looking at the bolt release area and under the bolt. Under the bolt there is what to me is a significant open space. The fit along the bolt release area just seems awkward. Can anyone tell me if this is normal with a hogue stock? Pictures attached to show the space and to confirm that I did order the proper stock.

The fit seems perfect everywhere else.
Not sure what your bolt handle looks like, but maybe it is cut deeper to accommodate a 110?

Attachments

• images.jpeg-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3
The new stock seems to be a big improvement. Three bullets in the same hole there in the middle with Winchester 150 grain ammo.

Attachments

• AF25D500-1D31-481C-84BA-A8E70A832EB5.jpeg
    AF25D500-1D31-481C-84BA-A8E70A832EB5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back