Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sandhill crane !!

MuleyMB

So the wife and I drew some sandhill tags, I’ve killed one before with a 12 guage but I’m hoping she can get her first , she’s more comfortable with her 20 guage, anyone ever use a 20? Good round for crane? .

Reactions: CB1
I’ve killed them with a 20ga. Lead is legal where I hunt, and an old box of 2 3/4” Winchester Super-X Double-X(buffered and plated) 1 1/4oz of lead 4’s was hands down the best box of 20ga ammo I ever used. Some similar Activ loads worked very well as did Remington Long Range(1 1/8oz in 2 3/4” and 1 1/4oz in 3”). If you cannot use lead, I’d recommend that you use one of the heavier than steel alternatives. I have done quite well on cranes with 1 1/8oz of steel 2’s from a 12ga, but when I tried 7/8oz of steel 2’s from a 20ga, results were TERRIBLE. It’s just not enough pellets for good pattern density.

The place I hunt is mostly good for pass shooting, so keep that in mind. If you can get them in close, you can shoot them in the head like a turkey, and smaller shot will work excellently. Additionally, because of the long neck, you can shoot them in the head/neck with a pattern that would not be suitable on a turkey. 1 1/8oz of steel 2’s or lead 4’s will do them in with neck shots reliably to 60yds from a full choke. With fewer or smaller pellets, you’ll have to bring that range in considerably. A guy I know that gets to hunt a wheat field uses a .410 with 7.5’s, but he decoys them in close.

Lots of people consider them a “soft target”. It’s my opinion that with body shots they’re as tough or tougher than a goose, BUT their neck is so long that you will often hit them in the neck, and that does make them come down with loads that you might not hunt geese with. If you shoot for the head and use a load with good pattern density, you’ll almost always hit them in neck. When I started hunting them, I kept going bigger and bigger with pellets, and having poor results. Eventually I noticed that almost every bird I collected had a neck hit. I started dropping shot sizes, and prefer 2’s-4’s. My current load is 2 1/8oz of buffered and plated lead 2’s, witch will bring them down with neck or body shots to around 70yds.

Last edited:
I’ve killed them with a 20ga. Lead is legal where I hunt, and an old box of 2 3/4” Winchester Super-X Double-X(buffered and plated) 1 1/4oz of lead 4’s was hands down the best box of 20ga ammo I ever used. Some similar Activ loads worked very well as did Remington Long Range(1 1/8oz in 2 3/4” and 1 1/4oz in 3”). If you cannot use lead, I’d recommend that you use one of the heavier than steel alternatives. I have done quite well on cranes with 1 1/8oz of steel 2’s from a 12ga, but when I tried 7/8oz of steel 2’s from a 20ga, results were TERRIBLE. It’s just not enough pellets for good pattern density.

The place I hunt is mostly good for pass shooting, so keep that in mind. If you can get them in close, you can shoot them in the head like a turkey, and smaller shot will work excellently. Additionally, because of the long neck, you can shoot them in the head/neck with a pattern that would not be suitable on a turkey. 1 1/8oz of steel 2’s or lead 4’s will do them in with neck shots reliably to 60yds from a full choke. With fewer or smaller pellets, you’ll have to bring that range in considerably. A guy I know that gets to hunt a wheat field uses a .410 with 7.5’s, but he decoys them in close.
Thanks for info!! I’ll check into somethings besides the 17hmr mentioned above lol don’t own one of those !! Thanks again !! 👊🏻

If you wound one, shoot it in the head at 60yds. You can break a wing and have them run on you. They’re fast. If they don’t feel like running, they’re mean.

If you wound one, shoot it in the head at 60yds. You can break a wing and have them run on you. They’re fast. If they don’t feel like running, they’re mean.

I used lead turkey loads #6. They are not waterfowl so you should be able to use lead, check the rules for your hunt.
I would think that a turkey load with 4’s, 5’s or 6’s would be fantastic if lead is legal. If not, a non-tox turkey load would be excellent if you can shell out the money. If you go with steel in a 20ga, I’d probably go with 3’s and cut from 60yds to 40yds as a max, or 4’s and maybe even cut to 30yds as a max.

Do you know how to do the proper crane dance if you or the dog tries to get a wounded bird?

It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. An outfitter from Canada taught me. He says it's the best way to make sure your dog doesn't get a beak to the eye.

...If they don’t feel like running, they’re mean.

I have a story about a near life and death struggle between myself and a not as dead as I thought crane that I tossed into my vehicle. As I strangled it to death, my own blood dripping down my torso, there were moments I wasn't sure I was winning the fight.

Do you know how to do the proper crane dance if you or the dog tries to get a wounded bird?

It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. An outfitter from Canada taught me. He says it's the best way to make sure your dog doesn't get a beak to the eye.
Ha guess better learn it fast!! Guess I’ll send the wife in and stand back and watch, see if she gets as mean with a bird as she does me 😝😂

I have a story about a near life and death struggle between myself and a not as dead as I thought crane that I tossed into my vehicle. As I strangled it to death, my own blood dripping down my torso, there were moments I wasn't sure I was winning the fight.
Now my friend that’s why you bring a gun to a beak fight !! 😃

Those son of a bitches are worse than the pterodactyls on Jurassic Park. One time we knocked down 4 or 5 of them and they're out there walking around and the guide was losing his shit about it dog losing his eyes.

I didn't know what the hell was going on but the dance is basically like this.....

Maintain eye contact.....

1655471973884.png

Distract the crane with a flag or a ball cap...

1655473996134.png

Then when he's focused on the cap or flag kick his legs out from under him .....

Then you finish him....

1655474851875.png

Back