Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

San Francisco Supervisors Propose Gun Ban

Ithaca 37

SAN FRANCISCO - City residents will vote next year on a proposed weapons ban that would deny handguns to everyone except law enforcement officers, members of the military and security guards.

If passed next November, residents would have 90 days to give up firearms they keep in their homes or businesses. The proposal was immediately dismissed as illegal by a gun owners group.

The measure — submitted Tuesday to the Department of Elections by some city supervisors — would also prohibit the sale, manufacturing or distribution of handguns, and the transfer of gun licenses, according to Bill Barnes, an aide to Supervisor Chris Daly.

Firearms would be allowed only for police officers, security guards, members of the military, and anyone else "actually employed and engaged in protecting and preserving property or life within the scope of his or her employment," according to the measure.

Barnes said Wednesday the initiative is a response to the rising homicide rate and other social ills, noting: "We think there is a wide benefit to limiting the number of guns in the city."

Gun Owners of California, a Sacramento-based lobbying group, quickly called the ban illegal. Sam Paredes, the group's executive director, said state law bars local governments from usurping the state's authority to regulate firearms.

"The amazing thing is they are going to turn San Francisco into ground zero for every criminal who wants to profit at their chosen profession," Paredes said.

How many residents would be affected by the ban is unclear, since California does not require residents to register handguns that are kept in a private residence of business.

Washington, D.C., is the only major American city that currently bans handgun possession by private citizens. Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the National Rifle Association, said San Francisco would be remiss to use that city as a model.

"If gun control worked, Washington, D.C., would be the beacon. However, it's the murder capital of the United States," he said.

In San Francisco, five of the 11-member Board of Supervisors submitted the measure directly to the Department of Elections — one more than the minimum needed to get the measure on the ballot without signatures from registered voters.

The city's voters have frequently championed liberal causes. In the last election, a nonbinding ballot measure to condemn the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and immediately pull out U.S. troops immediately passed with ease.

If approved, the weapons ban would take effect in January 2006.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=1&u=/ap/20041216/ap_on_re_us/gun_ban

christ almighty--I have some real idiots running the city here---lucky I have cop friends that can keep my pistols if this thing ever comes to be---chris

I pulled this off another board

"According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, the average hospital bill for a gunshot victim is $40,000, of which 70 percent is paid for by the public. The costs of gun violence to San Francisco are significant: The city pays $3 million in hospital costs for the 200 injuries and 60 deaths it sees each year." -AsianWeek.
now lets look at how many people die from aids each year in san francisco.

Reported AIDS Cases to Date (since 1981; see note): 29,338
AIDS Deaths to Date (since 1981): 19,688
Estimated Persons Living with AIDS: 9,650
Estimated Persons Living with HIV/AIDS: 18,882
Estimated New Infections per Year: 1,084

I'll let you do the math. It seems to me that maybe San Fransico should outlaw..........................

actually I won't say what they should outlaw as I don't want to upset the few senisitive indivduals on this board.

edited to add rest of figures. |oo

Well whats the problem ?? No handguns are allowed to be kept in houses in N.Z, Aussie or England and probably most of Europe, I think you'll find that the countries with the highest handgun ownership also have the highest case of deaths by handguns,

I notice also on other forum boards that I'm a member of, ie: motorcycling and sports cars, that any change to current laws in the states, like compulsory helmets and wearing of seatbelts is met with amazing hostility'
yet the rest of the world looks at it as "ok we can save lives and free up some Hospital time for needy causes here" just a different mindset I suppose.

"I think you'll find that the countries with the highest handgun ownership also have the highest case of deaths by handguns,"

No offense, but that is obvious. More people own guns, more people are going to get shot by them - on purpose or by accident. That's like saying that the USA has more auto accidents than Antartica.

However, in this country, the cities with the most stringent anti-gun laws suffer from the highest rates of violent crime. The states with liberal issuance of concealed carry permits enjoy the lowest rates of violent crime. The conclusion should be obvious - more guns owned and carried by the population equates to lower violent crime. At least in the USA.

Kiwi- I can't say who is right or who is wrong. However, people in the U.S. see individual rights as very important. It may come from a mind set that started with the american revolution. I'm not judging either as being correct. Gun control of any type is harshly opposed. I have mixed feelings with some gun control, in some areas but I also fear the slippery slope of any type of gun control. Where do they stop. It does seem odd to me that people vote for a President solely on the bases of gun rights but this shows how little the President can actually do to preserve the right to own guns.

MattK,

On what basis did you use to make your selection for President? The enviroment? Tell us all about John Kerry, champion of the enviroment.

BHR, why dont you start with your explaination of how GWB has preserved your civil liberties through passage of the patriot act and how he's preserved your second amendment rights by publically endorsing the AWB as a "good idea"...

Then we can get into John Kerry the environmentalist.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back