Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Salmon From Farms Breed Sea Lice

Ithaca,,, If you would be so kind and go back reread my post,,all I said was dams do take their toll on salmon,along with other fish....And my point of the post was that"MAN" has had a bigger impact on the resource..

I didn't think that I was knocking the dams...Without them I and a lot of people wouldn't be on line :D I don't like them,,but I use them everyday...

Hunterman(Tony)

Hunterman,

Funny how AK and Canada can both have bountiful salmon and commercial and sport fishing that is second to none. I'll give you an example:

Fraser River in Canada...just barely across the U.S. border in British Columbia...excellent commercial and sport fishery. ONE dam on a tributary (stave river) on the entire Fraser River system. Several million anadromous fish enter the mouth of the Fraser per year...

Columbia River: 132 dams on the Columbia System, fish entering the mouth of Columbia drop from 10-12 million a year to less than a million per year after the last dams are completed. Rivers such as the N. Fork of the Clearwater, Grand Coulee, dont have fish ladders wiping out entire strains of anadromous fish. Lets see...the Makah Indians kill 20K fish a year...while dams wipe out 9-10 MILLION a year...but lets blame the Indians for a lack of salmon...or better yet, how about blaming sea lions??? Are you shitting me???

It doesnt take a fuggin fisheries biologist to figure out WTF the problem is...or how to fix it...

This whole topic is a goddamn joke and if ANYONE believes that dams are not 99% of the problem with anadromous fish in the Columbia, you have your head up your butt.

This whole topic is a goddamn joke and if ANYONE believes that dams are not 99% of the problem with anadromous fish in the Columbia, you have your head up your butt.
I don't think any one is disputing that, I never really thought about it before, but what does Alaska use for the power to run her cities?
Or is it that their population base is really too small and they run big generators or some thing of that sort for their power?

Hey Cheese,

You dont get it...

We can keep a majority of the dams, breach a few key ones, then have both POWER and acceptable populations of anadromous fish. Thats what the leading authorities involved with the Columbia issue have been stating for years.

Its ignorant folk like you that start screaming about an insignificant loss of a tiny bit of power from a couple dams that slow the inevitable process of dam "breaching" (not to be confused with eliminating them, blowing them up, etc). We've been over this stuff a jillion times, yet the same tired arguments are still brought up...what about the power, what about the 13 corporate farms that draw water from behind ice harbor, what about the grain transport from Lewiston (highest subsidized grain transport system in the U.S.), all would be easily remediated and end up saving the tax-payers a gob of cash....

But, lets pretend the anadromous fish are just fine and blame sea lions and indians for the decline of 9 million fish in the Columbia...what a joke.

Why would anyone but a commercial fisherman who competes with farm fish be against farming them? If you don't like the nasty feed and chemicals then don't buy farm raised fish. As far as sea lice they have and always will be in the ocean. If they are attaching to fish in pens then that is just another food source and will not create a huge increase in the world population of a parasite. Let the fish farmers worry about the lice and let the lice have a nice convenient dinner at their expense. This sounds like a study motivated by the commercial fishing lobby to screw with their competition.

Another post by our resident huggers raising another phony alarm thus diminishing the credibility of environmentalists in general.

Ringer,

Dont trust the science in the issue...keep that head firmly buried in your...???

ringer, the problem I see with salmon farming is that the wild salmon then become less important. If there were no farmed salmon then maybe habitat for wild salmon would be more of a priority to some people. (the same thing could also be said about hatchery salmon)

WH, your are right. (I know you like hearing that).

Stocking trout and salmon by the government agencies years ago was a band-aid approach to the problems caused by the reduced amount of wild runs due to many problems. If hatcheries were never built, and fish stocked to compensate for the lack of wild fish, then people may not have stuck their heads in the sand and ignored the problems that were depleting the fish. Maybe something could have been done long ago to keep wild runs at viable numbers if hatcheries weren't created to hide the problems.

If sea lice due to fish farms really are a problem that might affect wild fish runs, then the fish farms do need to do something to help correct the problem. Now, if there were no dams, no pollution, no commercial netting, then the wild runs would be large enough that if you lost a few fish due to sea lice from fish farms, then it would not really matter.

Its ignorant folk like you that start screaming about an insignificant loss of a tiny bit of power from a couple dams that slow the inevitable process of dam "breaching"

:) Now that is just silly, I have never screamed about any thing with the dams... :)

I have seen also that there is so much silt behind the dams, that if they were going to take them out and do it right, every thing down stream would be injured or destroyed, I would venture a guess this is one of the bigger quandaries that would be created in taking them out than any power loss.

ELKCHSR said:
:)
I have seen also that there is so much silt behind the dams, that if they were going to take them out and do it right, every thing down stream would be injured or destroyed, I would venture a guess this is one of the bigger quandaries that would be created in taking them out than any power loss.

Hey Cheese,

Can you explain how the silt is ONLY an issue if you remove the dams???? That silt is currently sitting behind the dams and reducing storage capacity, flood control, navigable channels, and generally fuggin up the reservoirs. It will have to be dealt with in ANY case. Or do you think it is only an issue if you remove the dams?

Drunk wetback,

He never said ONLY, you put that into his mouth like you do everything else. but thats what you do best is make shit up.
Reguardless what your nasty thoughts are about elkchsr he still has a valid point

silt behind the resivours will cause major havok to species below the dam when they breech it.

Can you explain how the silt is ONLY an issue if you remove the dams???? That silt is currently sitting behind the dams and reducing storage capacity, flood control, navigable channels, and generally fuggin up the reservoirs. It will have to be dealt with in ANY case. Or do you think it is only an issue if you remove the dams?

Of course I could answer your question, but I won't, you still owe me answers before I answer yours… You’re starting to make me look like a broken record, but that is just the way it will have to be I guess... :)

I would add one little thing, Mr. spin monster... I never used the word
in my post... “You” did that because it creates a shallow sludge pool for you to be able to argue with, since it doesn't look as if you have any thing else to go on... :)

Besides, your going to have to get a better handle on the English language, I couldn’t find where this is actually a word…
fug gin and fuggy come up, but not fuggin… ;)

delw, cheese- I'm not defending anyone but In context, jose was pointing out that silt is an issue if the dams are breached or not. It isn't only an issue if the dams are breached.

Matt,

Don't waste your time trying to teach Del and Cheese. Just the fact that Del is in agreement with Cheese points to what a lost cause that would be. The more important thing is to use their ignorance to teach others. Like when Cheese tries to make some lame excuse about Silt, you can teach others that it is a moot point, as Silt is a problem in EITHER outcome.

Cheese,
Since you didn't use the word ONLY in your post, are you now saying Silt would be an issue in EITHER outcome?

That is funny you spent time looking up fuggin in a dictionary. You truely are clueless.

That is funny you spent time looking up fuggin in a dictionary. You truely are clueless.
Nope didn't look it up, that is the magic of Microsoft Word.. ;)
Since you didn't use the word ONLY in your post, are you now saying Silt would be an issue in EITHER outcome?
Answer my questions first, and I will be happy to answer yours... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norcaldive
Back