MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Salmon From Farms Breed Sea Lice

ELKCHSR

Study: Salmon From Farms Breed Sea Lice

By JOHN HEILPRIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Salmon farms help stock supermarkets but also breed parasitic sea lice that infect young wild salmon and could endanger other important ocean species such as herring, scientists said Tuesday.

Even a single farm can have far-reaching effects, Canadian researchers Martin Krkosek, Mark Lewis and John Volpe found. The study adds fuel to the clamor over farmed versus wild salmon, a debate that extends along Pacific Northwest coastlines.

"We know that the lice do infect other species," said Krkosek, a University of Alberta mathematical biologist. "The transmission from farmed fish to wild fish is much larger than what was previously believed."

Adult salmon can survive such infections, but the younger salmon are more vulnerable. "Normally, juvenile salmon have time to build resistance and put on body mass before they encounter these parasites," Krkosek said.

The Canadian government has found that salmon farms effectively control sea lice. But citing concerns over declining populations of native juvenile salmon off northern Vancouver Island, the government announced plans last week to do more research on the matter.

The study, being published Wednesday in the London-based Proceedings of the Royal Society B, contradicts the government's conclusion on the danger posed by sea lice from salmon farms.

It drew mixed reactions.

Ransom A. Myers, a marine biology professor at Dalhousie University in Canada, called it "a very thorough analysis" that relies on an enormous data set. But Robert Scott McKinley, a University of British Columbia professor of aquaculture, was unconvinced. "I think it hints of fear-mongering," he said.

In the published study, the researchers looked at 5,514 juvenile pink and chum salmon as they swam up two narrow fjords in British Columbia, past a salmon farm.

The study found that as the fish migrated past the farm — about one-eighth of a mile long — clouds of lice infected the juvenile wild salmon at unnaturally high rates for nearly 19 miles around the farm. Normally, sea lice are rarely found on wild juvenile salmon.

"Conservatively, this means that the parasite footprint of the farm is 150 times larger than the farm itself," said Volpe, a University of Victoria marine ecologist.

The study also found that the lice bred as they infected the migrating juvenile salmon, allowing them to re-infect the fish and potentially endanger other marine species.

Some European countries, where salmon farming is popular, use chemicals to control the parasites and dye to turn the salmon flesh pink. The use of those chemicals has led some environmentalists to hold demonstrations run ads urging consumers to boycott farmed salmon. Some grocery stores carry labels saying farmed fish contain dye. And a major study in the journal Science last year found more cancer-causing PCBs in farmed fish over wild fish.

It's a shame raising salmon is a necessity. If people would take care of the environment there would be plenty of wild salmon to go around, and no need for man to artificially raise them.

I'm not so sure that just taking care of the environment would work to make it so that there would be enough wild salmon to go around. There are too many greedy people out there that will wipe out a run of fish if given the chance. Just look at the Makah indians this year........what did they catch, about 20,000 salmon in a week when they typically catch only a couple of hundred?

Taking care of the environment is only one part of the equation; we need to stop commercial netting on the rivers (both native americans and non-native) and protect the environment to get fish numbers back up to where they should be.

I was saying that we need to close down the salmon fishing for the last 20 years...I can remember fishing Pugent Sound in the 60's, and 70's when a lunker salmon was anything over 35 pounds( yes we caught quite a few of them back then..Now if you get a 20 pounder its big news....

Salmon farms have been around for quite sometime, and people have been eating them for years...If you think about it,, hatcheries are salmon farms,, just like the way the states raise phesants...

As far as farm raised salmon infesting other fish with sea lice,,,I don't buy it...I have caught thousands of salmon, both jacks and adults and they both have had sea lice on them...

Just my .02 worth....

Hunterman(Tony)

Hunterman said:
I was saying that we need to close down the salmon fishing for the last 20 years...I can remember fishing Pugent Sound in the 60's, and 70's when a lunker salmon was anything over 35 pounds( yes we caught quite a few of them back then..Now if you get a 20 pounder its big news....

Hunterman(Tony)

Hunterman,
We HAVE closed down Salmon Fishing for the last 35+ years, since they built the dams. We used to have runs of MILLIONS of Salmon in the Columbia and Snake, now we have runs of HUNDREDS (or less) in some tributaries.

You need to improve the "Environment" if you want Salmon...

Hey Cheese,
Why is this the "Enivronmentalists' responsibility to change/fix the situtation? What is YOUR solution? If you don't have a solution, then shut up and stay the hell out of the way. Let's hear your solution..... I'm betting you don't have one, but I will let you prove me wrong....

Dams,,, yes take their toll on salmon heading down stream,along with many other types of fish as well...But the big decline of salmon came after the famous Judge George Bolt decision( giving HALF of the harvestable salmon,and steelhead to the Indians)..Mainly here in Washington..(Some people here might remember the " Salmon Wars") You can walk down almost any stream around here when the fish are running and see the stripped carcases of pink, and chum salmon on the banks...And I'm talking about thousands of fish... I've seen it on the Puyallup River, Chambers Creek, The Green River, and Soos Creek just to name a few...

My family used to commercial fish on the Columbia, mainly because dad was greedy, and love to catch salmon...Twenty to thirty fish A DAY was nothing back then...And that was just us...Now you take that number and multiply it by a fleet of at lease 200 other boats like ours, just out of Illwaco( not the sports fishermen) and it don't take long to destroy a fisheries....Now you add the take of the sportsman,(3 fish a day back then) and just out of one port you could count over a thousand fish a day come across the docks..

I'm not surprised that the WILD salmon runs are down to damn near nothing..So don't just knock the dams, for taking out the runs of salmon...Man has had a bigger impact on them....As soon as man realizes that the salmon will start its come back...But then again,, I figure its too late..The wild runs are too far gone to coma back...

Hunterman(Tony)

Why is this the "Enivronmentalists' responsibility to change/fix the situtation? What is YOUR solution? If you don't have a solution, then shut up and stay the hell out of the way. Let's hear your solution..... I'm betting you don't have one, but I will let you prove me wrong....
I don't need one guner...
I owe you nothing, and more than likely ever will... ;)
:p
What is YOUR solution? If you don't have a solution, then shut up and stay the hell out of the way
:p

Hatchery fish are not the same as farmed salmon. The hatchery fish are released to the wild when young. Farmed fish never leave their pens. The chemicals and fish poop litter the ocean floor below the pens. They have to feed'em chemicals to make the meat pinkish/red.

The sea lice problem is a real issue, whether or not some folks choose to believe it or not.

There are plenty of salmon, just not in Washington.

Here's a very popular bumber sticker in these parts...

beccastickersmall.jpg

P8310119.jpg

I sold that truck, I gotta buy a new sticker. :)

ELKCHSR said:
I don't need one guner...
As I suspected, you don't have a clue on the issue, but yet you post....

ELKCHSR said:
Can we get a translator in here? Anybody know what he is saying??? What does "more than likely ever will" mean???

BW,
Just as Hatchery fish are not the same as Farmed fish, Wild Fish are not the same as hatchery fish.

Just as Hatchery fish are not the same as Farmed fish, Wild Fish are not the same as hatchery fish.

Very profound. What are you trying to say?

Washinton can stop fishing for salmon all they want. Just leave Alaska alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKCHSR
I owe you nothing, and more than likely ever will...

Can we get a translator in here? Anybody know what he is saying??? What does "more than likely ever will" mean???

OK guner you get it your way since some of the new people don't know what you mean...
A while back, guner accused me of stabbing Moosie in the back....
So, I ask him to show proof, of course he couldn't, it was just a far fetched talking out his mixed up back end as usual...
So, until he can answer that, I owe him no answers to any thing... Very simple... :)

To be truthful to your question Ithica,,no I can't,,I have no idea what the percentage of the smolt don't make it passed the dams...

Hunterman(Tony)

" So don't just knock the dams, for taking out the runs of salmon...Man has had a bigger impact on them...."

And we all know who built the dams...

...the beavers of course! :)

Hmmm.... no dams in Alaska. Tons of fishing, commercial and sport. Yet salmon are doing fine up here. Let's see, what's different?....

Oh yeah, the dams! Damn those beavers. :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOWL for Wildlife
Back