Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sage Grouse decline and the ESA

Oneye

This topic likely belongs in multiple sections of the forum, but pretty bleak results in regards to sage grouse populations. Would not be surprised at all to see them listed on the ESA over the next few years.Doesn’t appear that things have improved much since the “not warranted” decision in 2015. Something that probably hasn’t been at the top of everyone’s mind for a bit, but have no doubt, the discussion of an ESA listing is coming (and actually probably warranted as well).

From what I remember from the last go around, it was the habitat quality that was primary culprit for their decline. I’d imagine the recent droughts and wildfire seasons haven’t done them any favors.

From what I remember from the last go around, it was the habitat quality that was primary culprit for their decline. I’d imagine the recent droughts and wildfire seasons haven’t done them any favors.
That and the rollback of regulations on much of the habitat that was focused on by the last Administration. It was listed as “not warranted” mainly due to plans in place in 2015, that changed in 2016. Weather has hurt things as well, it’s a multitude of things, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see them listed at this point. Which is unfortunate. Fires and cheatgrass are huge issues for sure as well.

That and the rollback of regulations on much of the habitat that was focused on by the last Administration. It was listed as “not warranted” mainly due to plans in place in 2015, that changed in 2016. Weather has hurt things as well, it’s a multitude of things, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see them listed at this point. Which is unfortunate. Fires and cheatgrass are huge issues for sure as well.
And too much sagebrush in some places. ;).

I'd be surprised to see a range wide listing and don't think it's warranted at that level, but could see some populations/areas being listed.

PS- TRCP needs longer articles and fewer links in them...

And too much sagebrush in some places. ;).

I'd be surprised to see a range wide listing and don't think it's warranted at that level, but could see some populations/areas being listed.

PS- TRCP needs longer articles and fewer links in them...

break out fire, chains & build up the teams to work those lands, baby!

Invasive species as well, time to get serious about cheatgrass, etc.

I don't know how they could make DPS' relative to the bird when every population seems to be declining and so many of them being interconnected.

Tangential video here about cheatgrass and Gunnison Sage-Grouse, which of course are already listed. Just saw this the other day. It was done (pretty well, I think) as part of a WCU graduate student project.

BLM has just initiated another planning process to ostensibly improve habitat management. Scoping comments can be sent in until February 8th.

While invasive species like cheatgrass is a serious issue across the range, the threats vary from east to west. In WY and CO, in addition to invasives, habitat loss and fragmentation from oil and gas development and exurban housing development (and overall human disturbance) has been the major driver in population declines. Given that the best sage grouse habitat tends to overlap with critical ungulate winter ranges and that same loss and fragmentation is playing a considerable role in mule deer population declines.

However, the bird isn't likely to be listed in the near future and Judge Winmill seems to be giving BLM/DOI the opportunity to rectify the disastrous actions of the Trump Admin. So I'm holding out hope still. I hope folks will submit comments supporting strong conservation actions. I'm sure TRCP and other orgs will make action alerts available.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back