Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Safety Tips

Mountain Boomer

Turkey season is just around the corner and sometimes we need to be reminded of a few safety tips. As most people know there is more mistaken for game or shooting accidents turkey hunting than any other hunting.
I will start by posting tip #1 and everyone else jump in by posting another tip.

1. Always identify your game before you raise your gun. I know this is the same rule you have always been taught but, some people seem to forget it every year. Some idiot will her a call and stalk to it and as soon as he sees movement...BLAM!! (Which leads me to another tip but, I will post it later if no one else does.)
ONCE AGAIN, ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR GAME BEFORE YOU EVER RAISE YOUR GUN!

[This message has been edited by Mountain Boomer (edited 01-09-2001).]

OK I will post number two...This one is not so common.

2. Decoy Placement: Always place your decoys where you can see at least 100 yards straight past them from where you are sitting. I know of more than one occasion where a decoy has been shot. If someone slips up on your decoys from behind them they will be shooting directly at you. If you can see at least 100 yards past them then you will be able to see them coming and get their attention not to shoot.

great tips boomer keepem commin!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"in the Spring we Strut and in the Fall we Rut"
ff1158a8.gif.orig.gif

Don't use a gobble call to call turkeys to you. The turkey you call in may be totin a gun and looking for a tom. If he sees you, he may be so pumped he won't recognize you as a hunter and shoot.

As a side note. All of these safety tips are good to practice no matter where you hunt. Some of them are MUST practice if you are hunting public land or in an area where others may be hunting,too. Some folks will argue that when you hunt on private land, you don't need to worry about some of these things. WRONG! You never know when some clown is going to slip over the fence and hunt your place, especially if he hears birds calling. Those birds he hears might be real or they might be you!

SR, you couldnt be more right about that one one of my favorite ways to hunt turkey is to slip hunt swamps softly calling along the way trying to locate birds seems every upland area within a swamp is a turkey magnet and can be very productive but can be very dangerous if your not alone!!

------------------
"in the Spring we Strut and in the Fall we Rut"
ff1158a8.gif.orig.gif

One I have heard, is that if someone is approaching your decoy don't wave to get their attention, but speak out. They may mistake the wave for another bird behind the decoy.

Never carry your bird out over your shoulder unless it is wrapped in orange. Best to put him in your vest if it's big enough.
DS

Deerslayer,
My birds are ALWAYS big enough to put in my vest.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
SR

Ol Bob's supposed to have some big 'uns waitin' fer us! Might even need a game cart to pull 'em out!
smile.gif

DS

"Sound advice"( a play on words
smile.gif
)Blackie!
This has happened to me more than once!
DS

Back