Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sad find

Why not? I see no controversy. What am I missing?

I see no evidence of wanton waste whatsoever.

Why not? I see no controversy. What am I missing?

I see no evidence of wanton waste whatsoever.

Did you miss the part when I stated "just me"? I don't tend to draw attention to shitty stuff like this. I don't believe I mentioned waste. Do what you want when you find a dead bull. mtmuley

I guess I don't see shitty stuff. Just stuff happens. It does. Sweeping it under the rug isn't my style I guess and that is a remarkable bull for sure. Should Randy pull a video or two of his where he failed to recover an animal that was hit? But to each his own.

I agree with that sentiment Madtom, but obviously the hunter did not put much effort into looking. He was dead in a small meadow and the birds and smell were apparent from hundreds of yards away.

Yep. I agree that you did the right thing by coming back for the bull days after finding it and getting the warden involved. My previous post was addressing the questions posed by MTTW and not implying that you shouldn’t have claimed the elk. The party who injured this particular bull was clearly not going to recover it.

mtmuley , I posted to bring about some discussion on dead finds. Seems it worked out.
The find did definately change our hunting plans for the area. After bringing out a rack like that we no longer had the "intense" desire to take a large bull. Now a nice 5 pt or so is just fine, and that is just what I harvested, a decent little 5 pt.
Spouse is also looking for a branched antler bull, not necessarily a huge bull.
I agree to each his/ or her own. Decisions like bringing out a head when you find it are very personal.
I will say I did talk with the GW again this past week. He advised he would not like us to give it to the hunter if they came forward, his reply was" too bad for them". I was quite surprised by his response .

I'm definitely interested in the age and score on this guy! Sad find but definitely helped bring up an interesting conversation. Thank you for sharing.

If you offered me $50 to hang that head in my place I'd politely decline. I don't get people's obsession with antlers to the point of collecting sheds to keep or picking up a lost dead head. I keep antlers of animals i hunt as a memory of the hunt, something someone else has shot or that I've found is just dead bone and from my perspective is best left in its natural state. Not a criticism of anyone, i couldn't care less.

For the record I don't know what time elapse there is before a head loses its value but I found a head from a stag I'd shot 4 years earlier after a fire cleared out some impenetrable bush and i never bothered bringing home, just a couple of pics.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back