Sad day today

FranklinME

So I confirmed my Dad's Ten Point was still sighted in a couple of times over the summer while shooting my bow at his house. I've been bugging him to shoot it a few times now. I went over there at lunch today to take their trash out and he replied he was done hunting. 😥

I cant blame him, survived skin, lung, and colon cancer. Constant pain in his ankle from multiple surgeries, they finally just ran a rod through his foot up in his leg. He's very weak and I knew it was coming soon, but still a very sad day. It was a good run Pop.

A sad day for sure. But still a chance to spend some great time in the outdoors together. Time to buy a boat and hit the lake. Target shooting, maybe build a rifle together. Getting old sucks, but I have some great memories of fishing for salmon with my Dad in his later years.

Last edited:
Sad day. It will come for each of us as well, but not something I look forward to. My dad hung it up in 2000 and he didn’t talk about it for a few years, but now we recount old shared outdoor memories.

Sad to hear about your dad but when a guy has had enough he has had enough and ya got to respect that.

My dad is 70 and still wants a big buck as much as he did when he was in his 40's. He will die in the woods. Likely I will too.

Even if he doesn't hunt, take him with you to camp. My dad went on out of state hunts with me a number of times in his 80's and just stayed in camp and enjoyed it. He too doesn't go with me anymore as he just turned 89 but we still talk about the trips he did make with me.

Take pictures.

I remember my grandpa's last hunt. My dad's will come too and one day mine. It's hard but part of what makes it all so meaningful. Thanks for sharing this experience. Wishing your old man the best

Everyone has their own line to draw when they know enough is enough. Not sure how old your Dad is, but never say never. My Grandpa said he was done hunting multiple times during his 70's and early 80's. Sometimes a year or two would go by, he would start feeling better, and would get the itch again. He finally quit when he was about 83. He got to the point where he just couldn't walk much. For a couple years we would drive him out in the truck and drop him off, but he was pretty much just stuck in that spot all day. For him that just took the enjoyment out of it, and he was done. Until the end of his life, he always enjoyed hearing my hunting stories and living vicariously through my hunts. Best of luck to you and your Dad.

A close friend lost his Father yesterday. Even though his Father hadn't hunted in years he still wanted to hear what happened each season and know that his guns were used rather than sitting in the safe. I had the chance to fish with him a few times in recent years and he enjoyed the salt air, the company, and a cold beer regardless of how many fish found the cooler.

That will be a tough thing to hear from my Dad and luckily he still wants to be afield at 83. He can't wait for next month and is walking regularly with a weighted pack to prepare for our SD bird hunt.

Share your hunts with your father by taking plenty of pics and showing a new hunter the ropes. Ask his advice on tactics for the season and bringing him to camp is an excellent idea as mentioned previously.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back