Sabots vs. Full-Bore Conicals

Brian in Montana

I've never tried saboted bullets before. My understanding is that it increases the velocity of the bullet, but are they inherently more accurate than full-bore conicals? In MT your bullet has to be lead only. With that in mind, the PoweBelt pure lead looks interesting.

There are so many different types of ML bullet these days. Its a little overwhelming.

I use the powerbelt copper aero-tip for my ML. They’ve been very accurate and have good performance. I assume the lead powerbelts will work well.

I used Powerbelt all lead on a few deer. It seems to be almost pure and is quite soft but does the job. Accuracy seemed good but nowhere as good as the Hornady SST .452 and Harvester Black Sabot which I haven't used on deer due to the legalities of weapons restricted areas. I've cast a few 50 cal Lee REAL bullets and killed 1 deer with them. Accuracy was just meh but it's not like you're shooting much over 100 yards anyway. I've not used the T/C and Hornady Plains bullets in inline rifles so can't help you there.

I'll probably cast some of those Lee REAL bullets this winter if you're interested I can make a few extras for you to experiment with.

Same here, very good results with the Hornady SSTs. Now that I'm in Colorado, the power belts have served me well, but not as accurate as the sabots

I have shot lots of both. I have one rifle that only likes the Thompson Maxiballs. They are plenty accurate, for what the rifle was designed for. I shoot the Powerbelts in my Remington inline and they shoot real well and kill deer just fine. I don't push the range and I think that past 150 yards, most conicals-either sabot, or bore size-become problematic. There are some, now, that are stretching the ranges, but that is a more specialized bullet/rifle combo.

I've shot sabots (like the SST's) and all lead conicals (REAL bullets and Great Plains bullets) in my inline and my flintlock. I wouldn't say the sabots were more accurate, just depends on matching the bullet / powder combo with your barrel twist and other factors. One reason I really liked the full bore conicals over the sabots was they were far easier to load after the barrel had a little bit of fouling. Maybe not a big deal for hunting if starting the day out with a clean bore and only shooting once or twice but more of a pain at the range.

I have done both...

I now only use full-bore conical. It took more time to find the right combo but now I have a ML load that will work in all the states I hunt.

I have actually gotten better accuracy from the full-bore conicals. I can regularly shoot clover leaf groups at 100 (from bench with scope) and legit 3 inch groups from shooting sticks and open sights.

I found that if I push the speed with full-bore conicals the accuracy falls apart. I currently shoot a 460 grb full-bore with a non-lubed felt patch between powder and conical at about 1450 FPS.

good luck!

Brian what is the twist of your barrel? My TC Hawken is 1 in 48 twist and shoots the TC Maxi Ball very well with a 100grains of Goex 2f behind it. The front band on the maxi ball is sized to engrave the rifling and upon ignition the other bands expand into the rifling.
I lube with bore butter.
Dan

I haven't taken it to the range yet, but its a CVA Wolf - twist is 1:28.

Basically looking for ideas as to what might work well.

Just a curiosity question. Since there is no actual muzzleloader season in MT (I believe) why do the bullets have to be all lead? Do rifle bullets have the same restrictions

I don't know why the reason for all-lead bullets, but that regulation only applies to muzzleloaders, does not effect center-fire.

Just a curiosity question. Since there is no actual muzzleloader season in MT (I believe) why do the bullets have to be all lead? Do rifle bullets have the same restrictions
Weapons restricted areas (generally spots near houses/towns) require muzzleloaders to use lead bullets (no sabots) propelled by a percussion cap or primer...can't use rifle cartridge type priming system used in smokeless muzzleloaders.

Wondering the same thing.
Its illogical.
I'm guessing its criteria for weapon restriction zones only.
No way they can impose lead only, conical only in the general areas.

Idaho has an all lead no sabot restriction, I’ve been looking into heading over there for elk one of these years. It’s funny because on another page in the regs it talks about hunters should consider using monolith copper to help the environment.
The manual for my Knight says to avoid all lead because the bullet can move down the barrel away from the charge and become unsafe.
I’m kind of going the opposite direction as the OP, I’ve been using sabots and looking for a good all lead conical.

Just picked through the regs.
Any restrictions on muzzleloaders pertains to management areas which have weapon restrictions. Didnt bother to follow up with the Gallatin valley which I think falls under a weapon restriction zone.
I periodically hunt a BMA which states weapon restrictions "archery,shotgun,muzzleloader and traditional handgun". I interpret this as allowing any form/combination of muzzleloader hunting such as,in my case,an in-line with sabots. Though I have hunted it with traditional muzzleloader as well.
Brian, reading between the lines, I am guessing you want to hunt the Gallatin River Ranch which may be included in the valley weapon restriction zone. Thus smokepole limitations apply. If not, I would strongly suggest you shoot some sabots to see how they work in your gun. I have been amazed at the performance of sabots in my T/C and the killing capacity on deer.

I've been shooting No Excuses for about 12 years, they shoot well in my Knights. My buddy killed a 360 class bull at 250 yards with my rifle/bullet combo a few years back. I had good luck with powerbelts as well, they shoot great, but they will smash out to about the dimensions of a quarter, and rarely make it through the chest cavity, where as the NE will be found under the hide on the opposite side or off into oblivion.

Reactions: Hem
I've been shooting No Excuses for about 12 years, they shoot well in my Knights. My buddy killed a 360 class bull at 250 yards with my rifle/bullet combo a few years back. I had good luck with powerbelts as well, they shoot great, but they will smash out to about the dimensions of a quarter, and rarely make it through the chest cavity, where as the NE will be found under the hide on the opposite side or off into oblivion.
Bambi
Any idea how the fps on the NE is from muzzle to 250 yds with your set up?

Ill have to read the revs again. I understood it was all lead bullets only if using an ML. Sounds like maybe that's only in weapons restriction area. I might have misunderstood, been a while since I looked at that.

Actually I'm looking at hunting the area in and around d where I live. Its all private, but everyone has lots between 20 and 160 acres. We have a HOA that says we can hunt on each others property as long as its shotgun, archery, or ML (and can't cross fences, there are very few, and can't shoot within 100yds of a house). Its a good opportunity for some muzzleloading right out the backdoor.

Back