S.W. New Mexico photos

A-con

Spent 5 days looking for an elk with antlers in South West New Mexico.
The only bulls I saw were in my headlights, well before dawn or well after dark.
Had fun, saw the country side, here are some photos.

I can only assume that after four different hunting seasons over six weeks, the elk had gone completely nocturnal.
I found fresh sign and tracks in meadows and around active water holes. I sat on them every morning from before dawn and every afternoon for 3+ hours until after dark. Didn't see a single elk during legal hunting hours.

New Mexico has some great country and scenery. There is a lot of area for the elk to hide in for sure.

We were hunting on a ranch near Cuba, New Mexico one time. The people that ran the place showed us an old log cabin in a beautiful box canyon. The house was the homestead of Euell Gibbon's family. It was a neat trip, but without elk!.

No luck in the areas south of Slaughter Mesa that I suggested? When I was up there they were all up high in the real thick stuff. Beautiful area to spend a week.

Nice looking country. I love those old homesteads you see out west.

No luck in the areas south of Slaughter Mesa that I suggested? .

Nope. We hiked in there before dawn one morning, and slowly walked those low rolling ridges covered with Ponderosas and grass. Lots of sign, a week or more old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back