Rule #1

Elk are migratory animals and things can change literally overnight and for no apparent reason.

Decide right now what your ideal Bull is,then pass all others up,,
even if it means eating your tag.

A lot of folks don't like to hear this one. "Are you sure you want to take a maybe shot? Things can go wrong fast when you pull the trigger. Your call son."

Elk are migratory animals and things can change literally overnight and for no apparent reason.

This is a good one. This goes along with mine, you have to keep putting yourself out there during prime time. Especially in archery. It is trouble, after problem, after close call, before getting blown up. Then all of sudden, it just happens, when it does, it's almost too easy.

It ain't the size of the animal that makes a successful hunt. Some of the best hunts/times I've had I never pulled a trigger.

Bowhunting rule #1

Patience kills muleys, but more often than not, aggressiveness kills elk. When chasing wapiti, go out there and make it happen- don't wait for it to happen.

Apache Matt,

Hunt until your legs ache, you're exhausted and discouraged ... gut up, keep going and you'll find them over the next ridge.

Last edited:
Never pass up a bull the first day, you would be willing to shoot on the last day.

Physical condition

You just can't be in too good a physical condition. Get your lungs and legs as stong as possible.

Rule #2

If your hunting partner shoots one in the morning, your hunt is over for the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back