MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ruby River moose beware!

ismith

Bowhunting2007008.jpg

First moose scouting trip this weekend! :D

I'm very jealous that you have that tag.

Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Ill be packing my camera everywhere I go! Im going to try and get some pictures of some nice bulls this weekend. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I actually drew a tag! Good luck with the D/E/A draws coming up, you stand a pretty good chance of pulling that elk permit.

Some pictures from scouting this weekend. Didnt find any moose but im sure there around. I think ive figured out the country im going to focus on and ive found some good camp spots.
Found a couple of whitetail bucks bedded along one road. The first one was big and he reminded me that i needed to get my camera out and ready. :rolleyes: This guy wasnt too concerned about be photographed.
MooseScoutingTrip002.jpg

A sandhill crane or a clear cut crane?
MooseScoutingTrip012.jpg

Some promising moose country.
MooseScoutingTrip018.jpg

A young pronghorn buck
MooseScoutingTrip025.jpg

Last winter still hangin around
MooseScoutingTrip036.jpg

Moose sign
MooseScoutingTrip074.jpg

Nice pronghorn buck
MooseScoutingTrip081.jpg

Another nice pronghorn buck
MooseScoutingTrip060.jpg

Whitetail buck in a barley field
MooseScoutingTrip067.jpg

Hey,that was my tag! Well,$hit.Anyhow congrats,you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a bull down there on the river bottem.Access might be an issue,but if you go during the rut you can watch those bulls running all over.I had a bull nearly step into my ground blind while bowhunting whitetails,two years ago.He was so distracted I had to literally stick my torso out of the blind and wave/hiss at him so he wouldn't trample on through.

Those are some nice shots man.

Those cranes are crazy birds, they were everywhere when I had my suckhole moose tag.

Awesome Pictures.
You're going to pull a monster out of there, I can feel it.

Hands down the best moose permit in MT, start scouting now for an opener bull, and be really patient if you don't score early. It would also be awesome to have that permit in hand in November when everybody else is filled. More prime public land moose habitat than you'll be able to cover.

I wont get to hunt until October 9th-19th. Ill be in Haiti until the end of September and will probally have drill the first weekend in October. Im saving some additional time off for the end of November for last ditch moose hunting or muleys and elk if ive already filled my moose tag. Ill have one or two more weekends for scouting.

WOW! Fantastic hunt - to be! Congrats Smith.
Great pics - thanks for sharing!

Made another trip this weekend. Didnt find any moose, but it was hot and I didnt look too hard. Did see a few critters though.
MooseScoutingTrip097.jpg

Full moon on the upper Ruby.
MooseScoutingTrip103.jpg

Then I took my parents up to a spot to look for fossil sea life and wound up finding this instead.
MooseScoutingTrip116.jpg

Buffy rode shotgun back home..........
MooseScoutingTrip128.jpg

.......and got a bath.
MooseScoutingTrip135.jpg

Ismith, that bison skull is the find of many lifetimes. If you have time, you might want to have an expert look at it and compare it to some of the stuff that they have found and claim to be 5,000+ years old. Not saying that one is, but that just looks thinner and with more protruding eye sockets than any bison skulls I have seen. Maybe it is a young bison or a cow and I just don't know what to look for.

By far, a find like that would be the highlight of my discoveries in times spent afield. So cool.

Nice find ismith. I found a buffalo skull in that country years ago but it wasn't in nearly as good shape as yours. At the time it didn't dawn on me what a find I had so I didn't pack it out. What an idiot I was.

You should have an awesome hunt!

Very nice find ISmith! That Bison skull is as classic as looking at a perfect condition '73 Bronco, 67 Fastback 'stang or a well restored '65 Scout.

Man, that is a beautiful find!

Congrats!

Fantastic pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. That picture of the winding stream makes me want to grab my fly-rod and jump in!! Good luck this year.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back