Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Road Update, NM Units 17 and 21B, State Rd 52 - VLA to Winston, NM

Rzrbk

I was scouting this area two weekends ago and 5 1/2" of rain fell in 2 hours, causing parts of State Highway 52 to become a river. I spent the night waiting for water to recede with other hunters.

Long story short, NM State Highway 52 is impassable between Hwy 60 and the N end of Unit 21B. You must come in from Winston according to the roads Dept.

I called NM DOT this morning and they verified the State Highway 52 between Highway 60 (west of Socorro) down to Winston. The main washed out section is closer to Hwy 60 and VLA near Magdalena.

I was planning on driving in this way tomorrow, but will now drive in from Truth or Consequences and through Winston heading north. The road wasn't pretty between Winston where it turns dirt to the point it was impassable about 10 miles north of the north end of Unit 21B.

Anyway, hope this helps someone planning on using Hwy 52

DOT Road Dept. number is 575 494-3227

Last edited:
I went scouting this past weekend there and traveled south on 52 and the road dept was working on the road but it is was mostly fixed at this time. I would not hesitate to take the road now.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back